Not invertible
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Why did your 'bot fail ?

This might be a controversial subject with some disagreements, but I'm interested to see what peoples opinions are on why their bot lost a particular round.

Preferably technical reasons (as per the group), rather than judging or other issues, since the idea of this thread is to see if the usual reasons of wiring, things coming loose from their mounts, radio etc are the same down here as they are over seas. http://www.legalword.com/tips.html and to help newcomers to the sport avoid the common problems that most builders have to learn through trial and error.

So, go ahead, tell us how you stuffed up so others can learn.. Laughing

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

To kick things off, I.G. lost in both its most recent fights by not being invertible, and Scoopy lost one the same way (we didnt have any nasty flippers down here when they were designed Laughing), and I would say Scoopy suffered radio problems contributing to one of its losses.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Where is the "All the above" option? Shocked

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:57 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

well, I cant see a way to allow people to vote multiple times, so you'll just have to pick one (or "other") and detail it in the message.. Laughing

Just choose your biggest "duh" moment to help newbies avoid doing the same thing..

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:14 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

You didn't have the one in the list I wanted to vote for, so I went with being flipped as The Aggressor was getting good at that.
But I wanted to vote for poor traction. Mainly for Adversary at the Annihilator, but also with The Aggressor. You you look at a few of the video's with Adversary you'll see the wheels spinning and the robot not moving. In the melee Adversary was knocked out, yet everything was still working. The drills were just spinning the wheels to quick for them to get any grip on the ground. I think there were 2 x 20cm long skid marks under Adversary when I picked it up at the end.
Hellbringer 1 got knocked for wheels falling off.
Hellbringer 2 for batteries going flat.
Hellbringer 3 for bateries going flat and wires falling off.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

ok, I added lack of traction to the insufficient ground clearance option, since they're sort of related, I dont think you can change your vote though, but the poll is just a sort of summary anyway, with only 1 vote per user, so hopefully people will read through the thread to get the details on what they should watch out for..

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:57 am 
chris

well, i chose other because my robot lost because of my myself and chris. My driving skill it just plain not good enough and as soon as I get a NiCD battery pack I will be putting serious time into driving practice

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:24 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

other: big alloy bar not strong enough, and saw motor not powerful enough.

Also, deciding to build a bot more that 3 days before the comp would be a good idea Smile

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

1) radio most definitely. im still plagued with IBC shutdowns just at the wrong time - marayong 4 with cobra vs el bravo springs to mind.

2) to much voltage on the motors. running 12v motors off 24v nimhs which have a starting voltage of 28v is way to much for the little things. the brushes blew right out and smoke up real good.

3) getting propped up on the wall. thats a big one.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:34 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Radio interference
IBC shutdowns
Not invertible
Clearance
Low battery power
Clutch coming loose
Bendy spinny bar

and the grand finale......

Chopping my own aerial off with someone elses aerial attached to my weapon Evil or Very Mad

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:37 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

biggest problem i had was driving into large spinning blades at full speed rather than timing my attack better Wink ......and forgeting to fit my usual antiflipper spikes Crying or Very sad ......and probably not bracing the insides enough. to many things come loose when you drive into those spinning bars, the shock sent through bots is massive and everything inside needs to be nice and tight Wink Very Happy

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:53 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I do like the "being flipped" replies! He, he,he.
Most recently I have suffered repeated drill gearbox failures where the pins have been ripped out by over taxing them with over sized wheels and no speed control, just "bang on" full voltage and slaming full stop into other bots or into walls. Or Mini Mower may have caused one!?
Iv`e also had reciever batteries knocked out and exposed wiring alowing Sorry to chop through and cause a nice fire!

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:43 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Rat’s number one reason for not winning Arrow ElBravo, Rat was not allowed to have a srimech. I was unpopular enough with some of the other Vic builders for building a wedge in the first place and Rats design strategy was to be a rock and be invulnerable to spinners, Unfortunately I ran out of time prepping battery’s and the ones we had for rat weren’t good enough. Care was needed to avoid getting caught under edge of arena.
Fragmentors problems were El Bravo the hammer mechanism is going to be the srimech but it didn’t have enough torque to work reliably. Other problems were the red wheels coming off as a result of using the g force drills at 24volt on the grippy concrete, and I thought I had that problem under control. Getting its pointy end caught under the edge of the arena was also a problem.

Ballistic had 2 main problems El Bravo showed up the fact that the srimech didn’t work, and getting stuck under the edge if the arena. Considering the bot was brand new and un tested the couple of minor glitches with the flipper over the 2 days were just normal fine tuning. If you won’t to win though I recommend using a robot that has been thourally tested and as many of the bugs taken care of as possible.

Minimower Only a couple of problems the weapon motor is run through a fuse I meant to put a circuit breaker instead but didn’t get around to it and the drum jammed and blew the fuse a couple of times. One of the drive belts had no teeth left on it and had probably been that way for a long time this explained why it was hard for Brett to drive at the Neighbours shoot fortunately for us we spotted it before the big show down with ElBravo and Minimower got some pay back for its 3 team mates.Smile

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:07 pm 
Eyce

My Robot Fails Of Wires Falling Out Confused

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well add some more to the list:

getting absolutely demolished by plan-b and basilisk should be on that list lol

i got hit so hard today by basilisk mag the switch turned itself off, which is pretty damn crazy.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:25 pm