www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Arena Construction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Arena Construction

Marto and myself are building a permenant arena in one of my spare sheds, just north of Toowoomba (couple of hours drive west of Brisbane).

Does anyone have photos of the "side-tracked", "marayong" or "kilkeven" areans that could be posted to get more ideas ???

Any advice is of course appreciated... such as thickness of polycarb to stop Light-weight bots, preferred flooring, lighting, safety screen construction, etc, etc, etc...

Is 3.5meters by 5 meters big enough for an arena?

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:18 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Me and Dad will be making the panels for the two sides of the arena. We intend to use 6 x 2400 x 600mm peices of polycarb. What is the best way to mount them to a steel frame? For the rest of the of the panel we were going to use steel mesh with squares 120 x 55mm and then cover them with two layers of 12mm thick ply.

Any reccomendations?

Did you find out how much the sheet of 6mm polycarb will cost from toowoomba and did you need any help or have any questions for dad about the floor?

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

When mounting Polycarb, the most important thing (AFAIK) is to allow for flex in the mounting system since thats how the polycarb absorbs energy.

The standard technique seems to be to drill the mounting holes significantly oversize, then use large washers on either side to hold it in place. that way when it flexs, the hole can move around the bolt without cracking the polycarb.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Hello, I`m pretty busy at the mo, getting ready for the weekend but I will take some wide shots of the arena and put them in the album soon, hope it will help.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:58 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Just got the price for the polycarb, $400.00 with freight to Toowoomba.
The sheet is just over 2.4meters long, just over 1.2meters wide and 6mm thick.

Can anyone get it cheaper than this price ? If so, please direct me to your supplier !

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think Sidetracked got 2400x1200x6m sheets for around $200 each through a contact in Mulford Plastics (Melbourne).

I can probably get more sheets at that price, since we are close to buying another batch to increase our Arena size and 1 extra wont be a problem,

Getting it to towoomba is your problem though. See if you can find a shipping company to give you a quote from Oakleigh, Vic.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
3Faze

I get those for <£50 each, shipping to oz would be a killer though Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:47 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yep, well thats about $130 Oz-Dollars.. so unless you can get a good price on a boat and be prepared to wait for them... wait ! maybe we could *make* some into a boat and RC Control it to here ? No, I'm being silly.. time for bed I think.. Laughing

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:16 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

spockie-tech, how much notice do you need to tack one or two sheets onto your order ? how soon are you ordering ?

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:07 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Have you tried Mulfords in Bris?

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:11 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

@ Original Carnage:

SideTracked will be purchasing the additional Lexan required for the arena upgrades shortly.. its $200 for a 2440x1220x6mm sheet, delivered to Oakliegh (Melbourne). You will have to arrange the shipping from there to you..

It comes with sticky paper on the sides to protec the lexan from easy scratching, but you might want to check with whatever shipping company you use that they can ship it without dumping big sharp things on it.

I'm not sure exactly when the purchase will be made, sometime in the next 2-4 weeks I imagine. are you still interested ?

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 pm 
3Faze

Another point with regard to mounting points is to have as many as possible, while still keeping the flexibility, and have them in as far from ther side as possible, so that a fracture has the best chance as possible of not causeing a catastrophic failure of the safety screen.

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:37 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

@ Spockie-Tech

Thanks for letting me know Smile
I've emailed Marto (since the plan was to share the cost of the polycarb) and posted a note to other QLDers (in the QLD arena thread) asking for a little help...

I'll be in touch about the sidetracked order before 1st October.

Is the $200/sheet the usual price or is it a special deal for sidetracked?
Is the "Oakleigh" place o.k. with recieving an additional sheet that will be picked up by some freight company?

Thanks again Brett...

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:25 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont know what the "standard" pricing forthe 6mm polycarb is, so I cant say how special a deal it is..

I know the manager at Sidetracked is friends with the State Manager at Mulford Plastics (which is where the polycarb is coming from), and Sidetracked buy quite a lot of stuff from them for the various bits of decor around the venue, so I would expect theres probably some discount in there, but how much I dont know. You could call your local Mulford Plastics outlet and get a price from them to compare.

http://www.mulford.com.au/content/locations-frame.htm

I did mention that we might like to grab some extra sheets with their order if they didnt mind, and they didnt have a problem with that, as long as getting it to the end recipient wasnt their problem.. Laughing

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:48 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

@ Spockie-Tech

It looks like kkeerroo (and maybe Marto) will pick up the cost of one sheet of the 6mm polycarb. I'll pay him/them back for their gracious offer...

So as a result, YES we do want in on the "sidetracked" polycarb order please - just one sheet. How/where do we organise payment?

thanks again. Very Happy

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:24 am