www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Miles & Jules Robots QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yep that would be good but its the bolt holes inder the mill that are leaking- so we would have to get an engine hoist again to lift it up😱 can do the seal ontop of tge bolts no sweat😄

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:33 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Bugger! That's a tough fix - perhaps seal around the base of the mill and underneath around the offending bolt heads as well.

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:54 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I'll ask Russell what he did on ours, it had a similar problem I think but I'm pretty sure he just sealed up the top and bottom.
Really though with decent covers you shouldn't get that much leaking through?
(if you did it'll fill up with swarf too?)

On ours we just have a bit of plastic from the bottom of a green shopping bag style of thing on the front to back and Z axis dovetails, the front to back (y? i can never remember) is quite long so its always bent up against the column, and it just slides up and down there.
If you are feeling fancy though you can always
http://www.franksworkshop.com.au/CNC/Bellows/Bellows.htm

The other option is clean the underside of the bolts and surround really well then seal it up from that side, you could even jack the mill up a little (4mm?) and leave the base as a free flow in and out. I don't really like that option though lol.

Unless you have a good set of screens it will get wet around the mill anyway btw, our Mk1 shower curtain wound up getting holes punched in it when hot swarf was hitting it at speed, that was running at like 10Krpm though.

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

We finally fixed this problem...tried to seal around the edge of the mill with sikaflex that didn't work ...coolant still pissed out the rear bolt hole...it may have been running in the y axis dovetail slide hole...so then came to my senses ...peeled off the sikaflex....it came off pretty easy...i guess this mill has had years of coolant to seep into every nook and cranny.....then just undid the 4 bolts rocked the mill to one side and shoved some little chocks of wood under each side. Then put in a washer made of rubber under a metal washer...then a nut...then tighten that to a nut underneath...then pulled out the wood....amazing it doesn't leak now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WfuBOr5ZI

here it is cutting and spraying shit everywhere....Jake i know now why you guys have a shower curtain on your mill Very Happy

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Good work! Russell and Jake's mill needs a full enclosure because it has a very high speed spindle and they use a huge amount of coolant to wash all the chips out. For manual milling, I don't use much coolant at all and with a wide chip tray not much coolant escapes.

One good trick is to make up some small acrylic or polycarb guards with magnetic bases that can be positioned around the work. They will catch most of the swarf and coolant before it becomes a problem.

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

We can finally cut stuff straight Cool We got a little 250mm cold saw off gumtree. Came with a pile off cut off disks....i still don't know what the numbers on them mean ...but the blade that is on it seems to cut everything....It pump didn't work to begin with so after cleaning its filter thoroughly and still nothing.... turned out that the little arm that rubs on the cam was bent so it didn't connect with the cam anymore..so a bit of hammering fixed that. now theres coolant flowing nicely when the saw starts up. Its actually made in Brisbane Ravinvic brand...weird i didn't think anything was made here. but i guess it was back in the 80's when there was manufacturing industry here.
Was hoping it would be a bit quieter...ive seen some massive ones that turn ultra slow and make nearly no noise.... so I'm ordering some shell spirax 90 gear box oil to hopefully quieten things down... but its at least straight and is a lot quieter than the mega loud cutoff saw. not as quiet as the bandsaw but straight which is a relief ...So can't wait to cut up something robotish now. Very Happy

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:26 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If its made locally, it will probably last for ever with some TLC - or a vicious hammering! Laughing It leaves a very clean cut, much better than an abrasive cut-off saw.

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:04 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

did some experiments today....was talking to Aaron back at vivid about how to stop pinions slipping o 775 motors. The technique involves submerging the 775 in water with the shaft poking out then silver soldering the pinion in place. So basically using the water to stop the motor from getting hammered by the heat of the gas torch.

so in it goes...to the fancy grade.

silver solder....ran out of map gas so had to attempted the bbq gas torch. it worked but was slower.

now drying out the motor

OMG it still works. ...like it was never submerged...and i didn't even dry it out properly.....These are a matching pair of 24v 909 brand lithium drills that happened to be at the tip on the same day....the batteries must have died on some tradie....who would ave thought 909 would use 775s in there 24v lithium drills. ...i was surprised.

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:18 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

WAAAAAY back when, people used to break in their brushed motors by running them underwater for 5 to 10 minutes. I tried it once but apart from the novelty, it didn't seem to make much difference. Good to know that soldering trick works though.

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The same trick also works well for welding heat sensitive objects and to minimize HAZ on treated alloys (Hardox)

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:16 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Do you know the weight of one of your winches without the cable? Thanks.

Post Mon May 02, 2016 3:25 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi phil- i dont have any here to weigh at the moment that aren't in a robot- but i think they are about 3kg- its the motor on the back that is the heavy part 🤖

Post Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks. Near enough is good enough.

Post Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Do you have pictures of your completed spring powered flipper?

Post Thu May 12, 2016 7:03 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Checkout this bad boy- [URL=http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/milesandjules/media/Mobile%20Uploads/314F058A-B131-454A-93DE-85AEF565DB5A.jpg.html] [/URL]

Had this for a few weeks now and forgot i hadnt posted it up on our build thread- anyway its been fun learning to tig with it- really love doing steel with it- its just like braising ,only no flux to deal with so what ya see is what you get- also we are amazed that sparks a horrid smoke do not go everywhere like stick welding- so some late night welding is on the cards now and its really quiet to-no loud Chipping off of flux -will post up some pics of our tests once they arnt to shit looking- ali bots looking promising now😎🤖👅💉

Post Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:25 am