www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QRSC - Season 1 - 2011
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

QRSC - Season 1 - 2011

So I think we might nearly be at the stage where we can call our competitions a season.

I would like to see 3 feather events next year if possible. I am thinking 2 public 1 private. (More would be good but I don't think its feasible)

Ants I think we have seen 4 events this year. I think 4 is a good number once again I don't think we can do anymore.

So I don't think anyone has started building beetles yet. Is anyone interested? I think we could also use this to document the design, building and combat stages of these. I think these are almost as important as the actual combat.

Also I currently have 14 Ants, which I am not sure what to do with.....

Steve

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

will they be two day events again?

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:58 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I am considering a beetle.

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

we in NSW are planning to have the public beetle arena done as a matter of priority, if that helps Smile

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yes it does help. I think its a good size. Bit more real than ants but still small enough to be cheaper and more easily manageable than the feathers.

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

How would you feel about a Beetle event with a portable arena in Gladstone sometime this year. I would commit to bringing one Beetle. + however many ants I have at the time.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Don't forget that Andrew A. spoke of the interest in hosting an event by the local publican at Kilkivan, IIRC.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:51 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yep we could probably do that as well if people are willing to travel. Don't think it's possible to do this sort of thing with feather arenas. Unless they are willing to put serious $$ behind it.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:48 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

If it helps, I think we roughed out costs for the beetle arena at around a grand

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:40 am 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

yeh that sounds great,I would also be keen to build a beatle arena here if that makes it easyer,and also I can get a truck pretty easy to take the feather arena around.plus I like the idea of having a few comps around the place.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:49 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ok so for public Feather events I would like to do Ideas Festival if they are keen in May + another event October/November next year with one private event in between these.

We are also looking at running a few antweight build days at the edge. This would be people coming in and building ant kits for a small fee. Then they can take their guide and go buy stuff from HK. This would be for a much smaller fee probably $20 or $25 so would slowly pay off the kits while getting new people in. If people are keen at running ant comps after this I think that could work.

I would like to hold a few small beetle events throughout the year. I think the first one of these will depend on how fast people start producing them.

Tentatively I would like to have the first antweight/beetle event on the 22nd of Janruary 2011. In my garage. How does this sound to everyone? Probably using the small ant arena for our beetles.

I would next like to have a ant/beetle event in Gladstone maybe march? Possibly feather if Don's keenness stays at its current level. How many other QLDers would be willing to travel? I am in.

In the bank I think we have about $1k and we also have insurance till June next year. There is a few options for what we could use this cash for.
My thoughts in no particular order.
1. Fix up feather arena roof or floor. I think we need at least 3mm Poly preferably 6mm on the roof.
(I really don't want to go back to non clear roof. Why?? Well did anyone have to get a good angle so they could see into the arena even though it was outside in direct sunlight? Assuming no to that question does anyone remember what it was like trying to see into the arena with MDF roof from the stands at Piazza? End Rant)

2. Build Beetle arena. This may happen from other funding but I still think it should be on the cards. Would need to be a bit sturdier than ant arena. I am thinking 2.4x2.4m with 150mm of 3mm plate + 600mm of 3mm poly for sides. Should also be elevated with side door to enter

3. Save it so we can insure ourselves for next year. This is probably the safest option but I figure if someone wants us to do a public event next year its more important to have good facilities. If they want to have an event they will fork out for the insurance.

Anyway I think the position we are in is a testament to how successful this year has been. I think we have had a great year with two public feather events 4 public ant events and quite a lot of interest.

I would like to thank everyone for participating and getting there bots to these events. I would also like to thank Daniel for helping out with the running of the events on the day and aaron for his work on the website and hosting. Thankyou to everyone who has videoed the events and done interviews for the press.

Has been a great year and I am looking forward to the next one. Hopefully I actually get some time to build bots.

Steve

Post Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:48 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Steve, you have done brilliantly well. You have put on great events and handled all the surrounding issues professionally. Thanks for all of your hard work throughout 2010.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 am 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

I agree with Philip,well done.i would say paying the insurance would be a good place to start with the left over funds.and my keenes is still at near close to maximum level and would be happy to build the beetle arena out of my own pocket(that is as long as the girlfriend didn't find out.lol).and I would like to think with a decent idea/plans for it,it wouldn't take long to build.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well just thinking of poly usage we would need 4 sheet to do 2.4 x 2.4 with (2 without clear roof. I was thinking 1.8 x 1.8 but I don't think it is possible to save a sheet by doing this.

Is bigger better or would 1.8m insure more portability?

Steve

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Great job Steve. You helped us out big time with all the technical help and hardware. Count us in for any feather events in bris or Glad! Will try to get some beetles happening to.
M&J

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:21 am