www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QRSC - Season 1 - 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I bought a whole packet of single cell 120mah and 138mah ones. I think about 15..... So if you want a few of those you are welcome.

I think the small arena may have been thrown out in the clean up. Not sure yet it was all done by contractors. Matt said I could have access this morning however I only got the email about an hour ago. (I should check more often) so I have missed that opportunity. I hope he will have a look and confirm whether it is there or not.

Large arena is intact but muddy. What should be the plan of attack for this? Did we want to organise a clean up day sometime.

As for the weekend. I am still keen to have a few battles. Will rebuild scorpy with my new drives.

Steve

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:43 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Update: I am going down to The Edge tomorrow to check everything out @ 3pm if anyone else wants to join me.

They have also asked for us to remove the arena in the short term. I am going to get trailer off parents tomorrow and the plan is to move it on Saturday.

This means that I will need some volunteers to give me a hand with this and also we may not be able to do the event on the weekend. Currently I plan to just store it at my house unless anyone else has a convenient place to put it. We could possibly also set it up in the backyard for an event at our house if everyone is keen. Maybe we should think about a date for this as The Edge probably wont be operational for quite a while.

Steve

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:06 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What is your plan for Saturday? What time? Is the car park near the Edge open? How long would you expect it to take?

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:22 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Going down there the sarv to check everything out. Will let you know tonight.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

What time this afternoon? I might come and have a look at what needs fixing

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So went and had a look. Basically we have the panels and the roofing material. Floor was completely screwed, small arena is gone. I am heading down there @ 9 tomorrow morning to go pick it up whats left and transport it to my place. I think I will be able to do it in two loads.

The Edge is still closed, the library and both art galleries are closed with no date as to re-opening. I don't expect robots to be high on their list or the ideas festival if that is even going to happen this year.

So are current account balance is slightly > $1k we still have some accounts to settle from the last competition. I don't think we will be needing public liability insurance for a while so might need to have a think about what exactly we want to do over the next year.

Steve

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I just saw on the news about goverment releif fund for sporting and community clubs effected by the floods for up to $12000. Not sure who to contact about it.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:15 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.communityservices.qld.gov.au/community/community-recovery/support-assistance/support-assistance.html#sport-rec

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Shame about the floor getting wrecked! and the ant arena gone.... Let us know if you need an extra hand moving, cleaning stuff .sms is good to contact, as sometimes we don't get to check these threads.
M&J

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I have been treasuring and I now know how much cash we have left. After our first event of the year sort of dying in the ass due to us having no ant arena. I think we need to have a meeting to work out what the best way to proceed is.

I just emailed Matt from the Edge again asking for a letter outlining the damage.

Can I delegate someone to sort out the grant application?

I am going to be away/busy till mid march so did you guys want to get together without me? Or we can jump online at a set time.

Issues to discuss.
- current members
- member fees?
- how to spend cash
- given current situation what should be our next event
- Workshops - I have kits - might even be able to do beetles for ~$150 with new ESC options

Bottom line atm is I don't think we will be running any Feather events in the short term maybe mid year again. I would like to see some more ant/but events. But we really need arenas.

Steve

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm picking up steel and MDF for my antweight arena this week.
I'm just lacking funding for polycarb this month, but can get some next month.

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:06 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Is anyone interested in a non-spinner ant event without an arena? We could discuss the above during the event.

The application form requires someone to be available to meet with the Department of Communities. That would count me out. I can't get time off without months of prior notice. Once the design of the ant arena and the floor of the feather arena is finalised and costed, the rest of the form is quite simple.

It would possibly be of value to the application to have a letter from Edge saying that they will have the robot events there for at least three years.

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Could probably get a signed paper copy if we need it. I am off in ~9hrs. So see what you guys can do back on the 11th.

Also Ideas festival....... Wink Very Happy Workshops + 2 day event Maybe

Dear Steve

Please find below an email confirming the loss of the arena.

Cheers

Kathy

To Whom It May Concern:

This email confirms the loss of an arena owned by the Queensland Robotics Sports Club during the recent floods. The arena was made of Perspex and served as a safety barrier that permitted small remote-controlled robots to 'battle' against each other. The arena had been used many times by The Edge in conjunction with the Queensland Robotics Sports Club for programming activities.

The arena was being temporarily stored within The Edge building after the most recent engagement between QRSC and The Edge.

After the floods, the recovery team at the cultural precinct discarded destroyed and badly damaged items from The Edge basement. Regrettably, the arena owned by the QRSC was necessarily discarded in this clean-up effort. Fortunately the majority of their large arena was able to be salvaged after the floods. This has been returned to QRSC for safe keeping outside of the flood zone.

If you require clarification of this please feel free to contact me at The Edge.

Sincerely,

Kathy Hayter | Executive Manager | The Edge

State Library of Queensland | PO Box 3488 | South Brisbane 4101

t +61 7 3842 9202 | e kathy.hayter@slq.qld.gov.au | w edgeqld.org.au

twitter@SLQedge | Skype The Edge SLQ

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Good one, Steve. Safe trip.

I would be happy to price the components to rebuild the feather weight arena floor and the components to rebuild the antweight arena. Whoever has the ABN and similar information would need to fill in a lot of the form. Would anyone like to put their hand up to possibly meet with the Department of Communities if needed? They may not even need to speak to us.

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Just priced 8 sheets of 19 mm flooring ply (tongue and groove) $570 including GST. The arena is 4.8 m x 4.8 m, isn't it? Daniel and Aaron should both have an accurate idea of the price of an antweight arena.

If we want to apply for the flood funding, we really need to do this very soon. We need to have a floor for the feather arena whenever we next use it. It would be sad to miss this opportunity. The application form is here .

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm