www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

High School Combat Robot Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm ok, leaving constructing beetles till term 2 gives me time to tweak my cnc and get that all running flawlessly.
Just reconfirming the polycarb i'm using for base and top covers, and i'd choose it over garolite because it machines easier and cleaner. Smile I want the kids to be able to modify their beetles so hand drills and mini hacksaws that kind of thing, I don't really have access to any powertools at the school.

Next step to work out is arena... I'm thinking dead simple. 1M2 mdf board with push outs. Could just sit it up on a few tables. Problem is the beetles will need something bigger, maybe I could extend it to 1 x 1.5 and expand it to 1 x 3 when they finish the beetles.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

hopefully by then the nsw beetle arena would be complete and could be "hired" by the school club for a "nominal" fee.
could also be handy for spinner ants if they get that far.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

wrt to drives and ESC's and cost, might i suggest having a closer look at hacking full size servos for beetle drive?

cheap, reduces complexity, doesnt NEED to be the best drive system ever in this criteria

think about it

*winks suggestively*

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:24 pm 
chris...

If ants are too easy and beetle are too costly, how about you make something in between, since the competition is going to be in house
Something more complex then ant but cheaper then beetle

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Diluting the classes makes no sense, the idea is to make the robots as accessible as possible. In any case, all small robots use almost the same cost in parts, the only difference for beetles is a real speed controller, which a good antweight would have anyway. Antweights are a great introduction but they become very expensive to make 'very good'. Making both is easy, they can just recycle the parts.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:52 pm 
chris...

I wouldn't call compromising diluting, it is after all an introductory class

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:16 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

its been done to death, you stick to the weightlimits or theres no comp as it can never go anywhere.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chris...

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
its been done to death, you stick to the weightlimits or theres no comp as it can never go anywhere.

i didnt think this class was going to go into a comp

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 pm 
chris...

would it work better if i explained my decisions more/better

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm 
seanet1310

for all effective thinking 2 classes have been added to Aus in the last 12 months. Before that there where not many insect fights (a couple of beetles from way back in nsw and i think someone had an ant or 2). We should not continue to add classes.

Another downside to a new class after all there work if they are sucsessful and build a decent bot you dont want to tell them, sorry you can only compete with the other bots at school there is no where in Aus for your bots. If they build beetles you can just get them to go to the next exent and test there metal against the tougher bots.

Between an ant and a beetle as said both could be servodriven. both 'good' ones would ESC. school and edge based people would work up to it. IT might be a little easyer to drive a bot between the two classes with a full sized servo. Most standard size servos seam to be rated at +5kg. the cheepest i can see at hk is 6.9kg and .16sec. with plenty of options. Granted that is slow but that one was under $6usd. no ESC required. Not competative in any big comp but might be a good stepping point with almost no hardware change from the ants just the two servos and might need a bigger lipo ($20 could be a full drivetran and power upgrade between ants and beetles) . Once designs and weapons sorted with that they might be able to upgrade the drivetrain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

yep exactly

they could also be speedhacked

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
Chris I am starting to get bit sick of the semi trolling.

+1

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:30 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Epic update!
As far as I know *pending massive lack of interest* robot club is go for this year, starting next monday. Been looking a lot at how I could use steves kits to get all the kids stuck into making a robot, having some fun with it and then tearing it down and getting stuck into designing their own 'new and improved' bot. Having access to a lasercutter as if it was a printer has its own massive advantages, introducing the flatpack antweight chassis -

It's made from 0.8mm polypropylene, snaps together and has pretty high (unexpected) strength, as is the lifter support s 500g without warping, but i'll be adding some foamcore or similar under it to help stop it failing from torsion.
After literary 2minutes of getting home and fiddling with parts I have this

Unfortunately i'd prefer the servos to still have their mounting holes, to help square them and secure them to the sides, but for now some double sided tape will work nicely, should get this going on the weekend.

The PPE is awesome cheap, an $11 sheet is big enough to make at least 16 frames. It comes in ANY colour too, neon orange/pink bots anyone? Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

hahaha sweet!

nice use of frickin lazers

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Here's the little kit i'm bringing in for them to play with tomorrow, lots of hacked servos and ant bits so they can team up to make 2 bots and get a taste of how it feels to pit something you built up against someone else...
Only 3 guys were at the first club meet and only 2 took home the sheets with all the website details so doubt any have signed up on the forum yet, will have to enforce that tomorrow...

Do I let them know about our event on Saterday?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:50 pm