www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

NSW Season 8 - 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Honestly, NSWRFC is easy for me to remember, it looks like NSFW but i remember Fight Club so i remember the whole thing Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

for you maybe, but the poor commentators and general public wont remember it Razz i know i can never remember the minimoto club abbriviation (NSWMMC or something absurd).

I like Robowars NSW at least its standardised across the country and a word is easier to remember than an abbrieviation which helps with promotion and stuff. Dunno what implications it has with our club being registered as NSWRFC though.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Why not just make the address robwars nsw and the website of nsw rfc

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:

I like Robowars NSW at least its standardised across the country and a word is easier to remember than an abbrieviation which helps with promotion and stuff. Dunno what implications it has with our club being registered as NSWRFC though.

That's exactly why i chose it. Was looking at the banner top right of your screen!

Perhaps Bort or Nick can answer as to the implications?

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Do we really need the NSW part? On-line, its completely redundant as the web is largely borderless. Nailing ourselves down to a small geographical location can be very limiting; we just need to mention the club is located in Sydney Australia when talking about events.

It was also pointed out to me that "Fight Club" is likely trademarked and we might run into legal problems if the site becomes popular.

IMHO, we need something short & snappy to make visitors remember the name. Let's stay away from "Robo-anything" though, its been done to death Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:56 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

i tend to think we do infact need the NSW part, as its the NSW RFC website in question here (or partly)

IE. to differentiate it from the QRSC and VRFC

but i get what you mean - can certainly give it a snappier name and subtitle it, IE

SNAPPY NAME
New South Wales Robotic Fighting Club

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Bogan Bobs Backyard Battle Bots Bonanza? Very Happy

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Actual name isnt a big issue that just for paper. But QRSC.org.au is a mouthful and people do QSRC or QRCS and stuff all the time. So url is the key.

robotwars.org is available for ~$4k

Steve

Last edited by marto on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

How about keeping Robowars.org as a central domain name that then links to each of the local club sites from the front-page ?

Then you can name your local club B.B.B.B.B.B or QRSFC or whatever you like and not have to worry about its media-friendlyness, pronouncability and people finding it in google when they search for Robot Wars Australia or whaetever ?

As Steve mentioned, I'm happy to offer free subdomains redirects if anyone wants them.. Queensland.robowars.org, or nsw,robowars.org, etc.

Then you can have the Australia-wide resources (forum, rankings) in one spot, with state/area specific pages/sites that you can handle yourselves.

If someone wants to do a funky RoboWars-themed image-map of Australia for the Robowars front-page with clickable regions to each state/club/area I'll be happy to put it on the site.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's a pretty good idea, I don't see any real problems and it has to be easier for users if we link all our sites together.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:15 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

That does sound pretty good. Would adding qld.robowars.org and nsw.robowars.org be a problem I think thats probably easier to remember than QRSC.org.au

Also Brett do you have any problems with events taking on the name Robowars? It appears to be sort of happening throughout ours as its just an easy name which people associate with the sport.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

sounds fantastic to me, ill have the new site up tonight hopefully hosted elsewhere, we can organise a redirect

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:21 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I have hosting in Australia we can use VPS style for added win

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

All sounds good. when you have a site ready to redirect to, just send me the desired subdomain and URL to redirect to and I'll put it in. Takes 2min.

If you want something on the homepage, then someone web-gfx skilled do a clickable map or something easy for visitors to nav by and send me the code and images. No offsite hosted Java widgets or anything that makes our site dependant on any external service please.

Event name wise, you can call your events what you like outside of Melbourne as far as I'm concerned. Id like to keep events named Robowars inside Melbourne exclusive for Sidetracked, since Ive seen some pretty dodgy events safety wise that I wouldnt want to be connected with.

Realise though, it is *just* an Event name.. There is no official "RoboWars" organisation and calling your event that doesnt imply association, affiliation, or any other sort of 'ations Smile

I think its a pretty generic term, but it would be nice if EO's could try to maintain a reasonably professional standard when using the name for an event, so as to keep the public version of the sport looking reasonably respectable in the media. Backyard events would probably be better of with the B.B.B.B.B.B. name Wink

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:18 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well that sounds pretty well sorted. Website progress good.

Any offers for video editing?

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm