www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Towards Autonomous Combat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

You might find Marto is implying you need the processing power of a PC to get more autonomy than simply spin around until it senses the other robot then ramming it university sumo competition style Smile

None the less, to get you actually building something, how about you send me a cad for a test robot and i'll laser cut it out of MDF for you and post it to you for free.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
2. Maybe just some super-reflective stickers. Maybe some spots for the back. Lines for sides and triangle for the nasty front bit.
I prefer this option. You could put as many stickers on as you wish. They can stay on for the duration of the event.

Self righting would be impeded by half a golf ball. Also my invertible robot only has about 3 mm of clearance.

Do you think you can build your on board components for 150 grams?

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:18 am 
Red.13

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
You might find Marto is implying you need the processing power of a PC to get more autonomy than simply spin around until it senses the other robot then ramming it university sumo competition style Smile

Well, seriously, how much more computing is needed?
1. Find the opponent.
2. Which way are they moving? (Try to anticipate to not get in front of them.)
3. Try to get beside/behind them (keep away from the nasty bit)
4. Activate your weapon. (And yes, in some cases it is just ramming the crap out of you.)
5. Rinse and Repeat

Or am I missing some vital strategy that I have yet to witness on the YouTube videos. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
None the less, to get you actually building something, how about you send me a cad for a test robot and i'll laser cut it out of MDF for you and post it to you for free.

To be honest, I don't do CAD. But my wife does so will have to enlist her help on that. I'm more a hands-on kind guy... I just start building from the materials I think I will need. Smile

Mind you... I'm not too terrible at SketchUp... Would that do?

Really appreciate the offer! I'll try to get the Mrs involved. Smile

Mark

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am 
Red.13

quote:
Originally posted by Philip:
STICKERS - I prefer this option. You could put as many stickers on as you wish. They can stay on for the duration of the event.

OK, thanks! I think this option is harder on the CPU, though, as it would have to try to recognise shapes. But will work on this premise that you give the OK. Anyone else have a problem with this option?

quote:
Self righting would be impeded by half a golf ball. Also my invertible robot only has about 3 mm of clearance.

Hmm.. This is the much easier option so if we can explore the further...

The half dome is my first thought in terms of least amount of hassle to the RC owner. But what about a different shape? A flat 5mm high disk? (I know, you mentioned yours was 3mm...)

Or for the really low clearance - what about sticking some emitters to your sides, instead? Again pretty low profile disks or such?

Or worse comes to worse... What about putting the electronics inside your beast and only drilling 5mm holes in the sides to poke through some IR LEDs?

All just shooting from the hip. Smile

quote:
Do you think you can build your on board components for 150 grams?

Hmm... Well, the weight of an Arduino Mega is only 40g. A Uno is 30g. IR receivers a couple of grams. Might need several of them but... Yes, I think you could easily get it under 150 grams.

Why... Is that the rule for adding to Ant weight class?

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Why... Is that the rule for adding to Ant weight class?
There is no rule as to how much your control weighs. Marto has said he will allow 300 grams for an autonomous robot. You said you want a robot.
quote:
Does anyone have an old RC attack robot they are no longer using they wish to sell?
If you buy 150 gram robot, that leaves you 150 grams for control.

You could stick something on the sided of my invertible robots. There is no room in most of my robots to fit extra equipment. I wouldn't have any holes drilled in my robot.

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:03 pm 
Red.13

quote:
If you buy 150 gram robot, that leaves you 150 grams for control.

I think that will be plenty.

quote:

You could stick something on the sided of my invertible robots.

OK, this really is the easiest option in terms of the robot to "see" the competitor so I will work on this premise.

The goal would be to have:

1. a fairly flat disk, say 5mm high, that has a self-contained battery, flashing circuit and IR led.
2.These would be programmed to flash at different rates, to indicate different sides of the RC combatant.
3. These to be stuck on using double sided tape, as close as possible to the center of any side they are stuck on.
4. Not sure how many would be required but the aim is to reduce these or eliminate them as time goes on and CPU power increases to enable recognition in other ways, like highly reflective stickers in an arena bathed in IR light.
5. Initially, it could be 3 such devices (left, right and rear) but could be just 2 initially (left & right).

Will do some tests and report back.

Thanks for helping and being open to change - and to the challenge. Smile

Mark

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Might also want to have a look at this:
http://www.spambutcher.com/autob4.html

Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Which state do you live in, Mark?

Edit: If you are in the Brisbane area and you can come to an ant event, you can drive one of my ants if you want.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 pm 
Red.13

quote:
Which state do you live in, Mark?

Edit: If you are in the Brisbane area and you can come to an ant event, you can drive one of my ants if you want.

(Un?)Fortunately I am in NSW. Which is good that I'll be able to attend the Sydney competition but would love to take you up on the offer and meet you in person. I'm hoping you will make it to Sydney?

I am actually finding it hard to get my head around the fact you can build something that moves and stuff at under 150 grams! How the hell?? Smile I'm glad autonomous can take it up to 300! Smile

What's the next class up from that? I'm hoping a kilo or does it jump higher? (I know... It's in the rules... Getting there. Smile)

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Red.13:
I am actually finding it hard to get my head around the fact you can build something that moves and stuff at under 150 grams! How the hell?? Smile

What's the next class up from that? I'm hoping a kilo or does it jump higher? (I know... It's in the rules... Getting there. Smile)

It's a lot easier then you think, it's all about the correct parts and balance of space usage Wink. Next class up is Beetleweights, 1.36Kg.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:35 am 
Red.13

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:

It's a lot easier then you think, it's all about the correct parts and balance of space usage Wink. Next class up is Beetleweights, 1.36Kg.

I really can't wait to see these critters in action! Smile

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I'm hoping you will make it to Sydney?
No. I won't be in Sydney.

Everyone will be happy to show you how they built their robots and give you any advice you need to get your platform going.

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:24 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

While browsing the ROS website today I came across this.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/lse_miniq_robot

The are using http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SwisTrack to track the robots.

Looks simpler than AR tags. If I was going to do an overhead vision system something like this would be easy to use for the opponent. Although it might still be useful to have a AR tag on the automated robot to give you position in 6DOF.

Steve

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 pm 
Red.13

quote:
Originally posted by marto:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/lse_miniq_robot

The are using http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SwisTrack to track the robots.

Looks simpler than AR tags.

You think?!?!?

Christ, they have a TEAM of high grad uni students working on the problem and *still* don't even have collision detection built in! And you think you or I will be able to crack that nut? I don't think so!

Besides, the idea of having a central computer doing the tracking for you... Well, where is the skill expertise in doing your own code to outwit the other?

Nope, if you go autonomous, the easiest and only way to go is all on-board. How else will the machines ever rise up against us, if all we have to do is cut the cord to the video camera stationed above us? Wink

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ersh.

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm