www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marayong Season 7, Round 4 - Beetleweights - August 22nd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

There isn't much point to a separate recorder unless its synced to the cameras, which a laptop will find hard to do. The GoPro camera has surprisingly good sound and if it is in the arena, it will get the bot sounds perfectly.

I can upload all my content to my laptop so for the best videos, we should all try to record in the same format and upload our clips at the end of the day. I can then burn them all to DVDs to take home so we can make clips with multiple camera angles and make sure no fights are missed.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well get two GoPros and put them side by side. I am sure software is about which can make that into a 3D vid. I really see no point though as 3D is a gimmick which really doesn't add much to 90% of footage.

What I was thinking more about today was setting up 8 video cameras around the arena then doing some funky image processing so you could watch the fight from any angle around the arena. Could be done but not off the shelf. I think robot battles is one of the few things I could actually see it working in.

Steve

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Massive just needs a recharge, but I will try a few armour upgrades next weekend.

We should really make sure to take as much video as possible for a demo show. I have been playing about with my GoPro camera and the results look pretty good, the sound will be great inside the arena too.

I'm not expecting this to arrive any time soon, but how about 3D bot videos? Shocked

out of curiosity is that pic sposed to be in 3d or something XD. help the depth perceptionless out here >__>;

should be no lack of cameras, ive got the flip and the sony DV, which i cant find the beyond spastic style connectors for (that and my comp doesnt have firewire so its useless). So someone can use that to film if thousands of angles are wanted Razz

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

LOL, its a pair of GoPros in one case and interconnected to shoot 3D video; imagine that on the front of your bike while taking some tight S bends. If you google "gopro 3D" you will find quite a few references about them being shown off at the last NAMM show and people seemed impressed.

Of course, I don't have any way to edit the output or a 3D TV to watch the results on yet...

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:21 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
There isn't much point to a separate recorder unless its synced to the cameras, which a laptop will find hard to do.

Disagree. Sync it in post. That's what they invented clapper boards for Smile

quote:
I can upload all my content to my laptop so for the best videos, we should all try to record in the same format and upload our clips at the end of the day. I can then burn them all to DVDs to take home so we can make clips with multiple camera angles and make sure no fights are missed.

Great idea. Im in for this!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:50 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

If you guys are really keen and have a fast connection you could even upload to our server space so anyone can access them.

Yeh even the commercial ones are two units. The time is easy enough to sync its the movement and zoom that makes life tricky. The alignment would have to be pretty good so might need a special mounting bracket. I dunno how easy it would be to do though if you don't own a 3D tv to test it on though. So until a few of us have a 3D tv you prolly better off getting two angles rather than 3D IMO.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Clapper boards and timecode and genlocking unless you want want some unpleasant effects as the various sources drift out of sync. Its not so bad with a short clip, only one video source and no cuts, but with several sources if you mix the audio at all, you can run into problems quickly! Trust me, I worked in a Post division of channel 9 for several years, back in the days when location audio was often recorded separately. Its do-able with just a clapper, but not really worth the effort. I would spend the time on cleaning up the camera audio with a multi-band compressor and an equaliser. Getting an external mic for one of the cameras would be the best thing; internal mics are generally poor. As an aside, when you hear the director say "We'll fix it in post!" you know the shoot is going horribly wrong and the post budget just exploded Laughing.

What I would like to try is shooting all the fights with at least two cameras and doing some interview shots in the pits, plus maybe some talking head intros and a finale, then cutting it all together to see how long it goes for and what amount of fight VS interview mix keeps the pace rolling along. This would be just to see how a 15 to 22 minute show would look and how complex it might be to produce. Think of it as a storyboard with live animation...

I know Jeff is quite interested in production and we all seem to know someone who can help out in one way or another, so going through the motions might kick off something a bit better next time.

If everyone has access to all the source material, then we will be competing to see you can produce the best clips - that will sharpen up the editing and we will soon see who is up for the main editing job. Conversely, we might split the workload up around the most consistent editors; something will work out.

Any other ideas?

@ marto: while I was reading up on this, I found that the connectors on the back of the GoPro cameras will take care of genlocking, which ensures perfect sync of both video streams. The cameras don't have any zoom or focus, so that's not a problem in this case. I am just dreaming here, we don't have any editing software or 3D TV to watch it on - pretty cool stuff though!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Lol yeh. Didnt think about sync drift but I guess if they are both recording audio could do some analysis and sync them up. I think if you go too far down this track you are probably going to need to start writing custom software. It would be cool to play with but bigger fish to fry atm.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:57 pm 
andrew

hey guys,

heaps sorry but looks like ill be out for next event

Tore apart wedge robot to start new one but everythings been super busy lately, got numerous engagements i cannot get out of and ill be fairly rushed to have a half descent anything so for my own sanity im giving this one a miss

Also depending on how tomorrow evening goes may be starting a second job soon also so.......

so yeah maybe but to be fair its slim to none at this point

sorry lads.

I will aim to have one made ASAP so its ready to go well in advance for next event after that

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

why dont you just put that old wedge back together considering there was nothing wrong with it you filthy punani :3

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome to adult life - never enough time to do anything! You obviously have a lot going on, but if there is any time on the weekend just drop by for a joint effort on the beetleweight

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:08 am 
andrew

Hey boys and girls.

Wont be able to make the event this weekend. Everything got real busy so couldnt get something worthwhile built in time then had my grandad in hospital for surgery (hes doing ok tho) so am visiting him and making sure hes ok and this weekend i have to go to Goulbourn to see an old friend.

So ill slowly get a beetle done properly and put majority of my focus now to getting some reliable/well made feathers going for battleshed and the queensland event end of the year.

Sorry guys.

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

1 week in to uni and 2 huge arseignments, i'll have 2 days to build something. But no matter what I'll be there with whatever cannon fodder I throw together. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Let me know if you need a lift

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing I will actualy Rolling Eyes Dad won't really bother driving that far anymore, expecially not for tiny robots... Artarmon station ok? Much appreciated Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 pm