www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QLD Arenas
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

QLD Arenas

I think we need to have a bit of a discussion about what we need to do to our arenas.

Few points we need to look at
- Antweight raised platform
- Height reduction of antweight arena
- Arena floor.
- Arena roof.
- Timers for both arenas.

Phillip mentioned this in another thread but I think it deserves its own as these are issues we need to look at and fix.

quote:

Would it be possible to place a raised platform in the antweight arena with low polycarbonite walls, say 100 mm - 200 mm, with a push-out section that can be openned after a predetermined time, say 2 minutes?

quote:

I was also going to post this, new thread might be worthwhile.

I would like to see a raised platform.
It would make the fights a lot more interesting and also if we make it from a single sheet of MDF solve the clearance issues from that very slight ridge in the middle.

I was thinking about adding a countdown with large 7 segment displays and automating the walls lowering possibly with some large servos. I think that would be pretty cool.

Steve

I am very much for the raised antweight platform. I also think we should cut down the polycarb to make it easier to get robots in and out of. I am also thinking some aluminium angle strips on the sides and top would be a good idea just to cover the small gaps. Just in case as people get pretty close and the little spinners can still throw bits which if they get in someones eye wouldn't be good.

Arena floor is crap and screwed. If we go MDF again I think a timber support structure underneath is necessary so we can screw everything down. Otherwise with the very level floors we seem to come across the problems are just going to continue.

Other options are very short pile carpet, or possibly some industrial style lino. Would be interesting to see how carpet went, lino if it wasn't incredibly tough would just get torn up. I am thinking that these placed over a MDF floor would mitigate some of the problems with not being flat and having gaps in the floor.

I am very happy with the visibility with the clear roof. However there are a few things which I still don't like. Firstly the support structure while adequate is still ugly. Not as bad now its painted and cut to size but I am not a big fan. Will do for now but it irks me.

Other problem was some gaps in the top of the roof which became a slight issue when people are looking down from the railing. I was thinking just paint some flashing and putting that around the top so its not a problem in the future.

Oh and I would like to make a big countdown timer for both arenas. It was ok with the MCs but it would be good so that the crowd can see.

Comments?

Steve

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:34 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Re: QLD Arenas

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
I also think we should cut down the polycarb to make it easier to get robots in and out of.
The antweight arenas in the States and UK often have doors on the side for robot access. The arena sits up at table height. That might allow more spectators to see the action.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Antweight arena. Stick with MDF for the floor, but make it out of a single piece. No seams, no hassles. Don't suggest carpet... Mad
I agree that the arena needs raised, with the inclusion of a push out zone or a pit that is opened at the two minute mark.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:17 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Arena floor I was talking about feather arena. Can't exactly make that out of one peice. Carpet for ants would cause a lot of issues.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Have you considered yellow tongue for the feather weight arena floor. They come in 3.6m x 900mm sheets. The tongue will keep the individual sheets at the same height.

Maybe the two arenas should have been in separate threads to avoid confusion.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:46 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh possibly. Any ideas how much yellow tongue would set us back. Its probably the best option but I am not sure how it would go with slotting them together on the uneven floor.

Vic guys?

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:26 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Yellow tongue will cost more than its really worth since it sorta has 'useful electrician's tool' markup applied by anywhere you'd buy it. I cant recall what i paid for my last one (havent had to use it in a while!) but id say it was around thirty bucks.

EDIT: Apologies, just re-read and its apparently available in sheets? I cant imagine this would work out real cheap either - plus youd have to do more cutting

When we did the MDF floor in NSW we used MDF 'biscuits' of the same thickness as a yellow tongue, with wood glue, to secure the sheets together. This seems to be the method one would be supposed to use anyway. Probably cost next to nothing (relatively)

Dont forget painting the website on the floor / website stickers / whatever etc.!

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Robowars arena uses yellow tongue

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:54 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

A few times me and my grandpa go to a kitchen place an score a whole heap of mdf sheets like 20mm thick the laminated stuff cos its the outside two sheets for packing theres nothing wrong with it only it has some marks so they cant use it and costs them to chuck it out so we get it free big sheets like 1.2 bye 2.5 ish meter and we fill the ute with them but for a arena floor you would have to paint something over it so its not slippery cos its laminated but sometimes we get plane ones too.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:19 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Another thought. Why not just get two layers of flooring put three full sheets in the centre then lay half/quarter sheets around that so its the same size.

Then lay another layer on top of it and just screw it to the one below. If we did it how I am thinking none of the edges line up so we should end up with a nice floor with no gaps. And we don't have to worry about trying to slot things together. Maybe.....

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

thats a pretty good idea actually if the MDF is free or practically free

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:10 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well cost of mdf @ bunnings is like $32 per sheet so very low. I am sure it would be even less if I went to proper timber store.

Steve

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

seriously hit up a kitchen place, they usually have to pay to get rid of it.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Will do.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:56 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Would all QLD club members be available for an online meeting late this week?

Steve

Post Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:02 pm