www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marayong Season 7, Round 2 - May 8th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Sure, just pester me on Friday night so I remember!

Post Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm 
andrew

just test drove beetleweight, barely over 1kg currently

need to cut and weld on a wedge for the front of it and test drive it with wedge installed

just wish i made the robot frame the tiniest bit bigger as all the wires and guts r shoved in there and dont all fit so invertability is now gone

meh, providing nothing internally blows up should be interesting

Post Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
providing nothing internally blows up should be interesting

that's what i keep thinking - same same with the limited internal space and shoving wires and guts in. I have my BESC at the bottom, drive ESC and RX sandwiched on top of it, and the LiPo touching all three !

although re-reading your quote i would argue that when things blow up it IS interesting Smile as long as its not me! hehe

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:59 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi guys,

I can't make it out the the event tomorrow, as I have just been drafted to work from 9am until at least 12. I'm thinking I will take the bot to work and have driving practise on the kitchen floor

Post Fri May 07, 2010 4:53 pm 
andrew

ok, robot is done, wedge is welded to front, drives in straight line then randomly started changing its trim orientation mid drive and i always had to readjust, now no matter what i do with trim i cant get it to drive good now

will tinker more tomorrow with it, also will cut out a small block of 3mm ali to tape to the back of the fets as they get real warm, in brief testing the heat melted the thin foam around it

Lots to make better on it, remove a cell to make it three cell, do a nicer wedge and move drives more forward to fit speed controller and receiver in there properly

cya tomorrow

Post Fri May 07, 2010 6:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ill bring a 3cell 500mah battery tommorow if you want it. you probably need caps on the motors if it starts drifting off. mine did that

Post Fri May 07, 2010 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

thats due to interference tho isnt it which shold be fixed as im using a spectrum

yeah may need that battery as 4 cell makes this controller get real hot

on the upside the robot is surpringly nippy Razz

alot to fix but for tomorrow i guess theres little more i can do

Post Fri May 07, 2010 6:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

dunno but whitey was drifting off all the time until i put the caps on the motors, and jaemus had a similar problem with his TREX. no idea why they need them. but it helps it seems

Post Fri May 07, 2010 6:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

voltage spikes will heat stuff up, change frequencies of crystals etc, won't do anything any favours. It seems most of the smaller controllers aren't too well protected from the motor side.

Post Fri May 07, 2010 9:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Yep you definately need caps. Its the motor noise interfering directly with the controller, not the radio.

Strangely on my Trex Jr one output worked fine with no caps and the other was useless. But easy fixed.

You guys bringing any bots Jake?

Nick: This is sad news. I was looking forward to fighting Massive again!

Post Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, I was plenty pissed off when I got the last minute call! Evil or Very Mad

It looks like I will be working at least 13 hours at the call-out rate of $50 per hour; even after tax, that is quite enough to fund another beetleweight. I am not doing any real work until 9pm, so I have been drawing up ideas - the best one so far is a mini Jolt, since I have plenty of parts to adapt.

Please keep me posted on the results!

Post Sat May 08, 2010 2:34 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

twas a blast Very Happy shame you missed it. always next time Smile

Stitchface came first, Carbine runner up and mini-game and mini tread were tied for 3rd/4th IIRC.

all the robots could move themselves around more or less and the weapons on the working ones were pretty damn good for a 2nd event.

Angus' robot still had drive problems cause his new disk (a massive carbide milling cutter) was so huge. it also spectacularly disassembled and threw itself OOTA in the first fight. that was awesome Shocked

video should be good. was filmed inside the arena this time. next event should be pretty mean Shocked Shocked

as for the next event sounded like having the full on featherweight event at battleshed would be ideal and have a sportsman event / beetle event till then. discuss?

Post Sat May 08, 2010 4:51 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, grats to Glen on the, er, 'trophy'!

Managed a flip-out hit which was super fun! Everyone much improved, beetles are full steam ahead! Although much like everyone else I'm looking forward to getting back into feathers too (if i can only afford it)...

Carbine is pretty well destroyed again now, I kinda let it get munched in the final because I think I subconsciously worked out that I want it rebuilt again as there are still a few fundamental issues with the layout. Was nice to be able to drive properly this time though!

Nice work by Andrew with Mini-Game, only a little refinement needed to make it a fairly decent wedgebot.

Kudos to Bort for rebuilding Mini-tread again on the fly - longest serving NSW beetleweight award?

Editing video. Im a bit busy still moving house and whatnot but I'll try to get it done ASAP and skip the fancy editing this time.

Post Sat May 08, 2010 9:30 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well done Glen. Go team RC toy!!!!

The drive system on mini tread is freaking awesome, and absolutely hoons around the arena. Unfortunately from years of abuse from a child version of me, they have finally packed it in I believe.

Sad

However, I got some rc junk from Lindsay and behold...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Sun May 09, 2010 5:22 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

God help us, he's got another one!

DAMN YOU TEAM RC TOY!

Post Sun May 09, 2010 10:40 pm