www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Vic season 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I suppose you can look at it like, what came first the chicken or the egg, the robots or the events? No one wants to build robots if there isn't any events, and there won't be any events if there's no robots... As far as member levels go currently they're probably at an all time low. There is many things happening that will improve interest over time though, such as the Brisbane event soon, my hopes to instruct a robot combat club at my old school and the NSW portable beetle arena. That's all slow and steady though... sadly I think there wouldn't be enough to put together a decent, corporate event as such...

Can also see where you're coming from Brett, you've poured countless hours into managing events and this forum for years, some other people should step up. I'm sure Luke is a good candidate. Wink

EDIT: However as Glen said, if someone wants to go hardcore and organize an event, i'll be showing up. Melbourne is cool and I need more rave pants. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:32 pm 
shreddy

I would be more than willing to help organise this event and robowars however I lack the experience of being able to run it all on my own. If there was one other person who knew what they were doing then I would definitely put my hand up for support.
I will have alot of free time for the next few months too if that helps.
e.g. i could organise the competitiors and temporary arena relocation stuff while someone else with experience can deal with the event organisers/legal stuff.

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The event is requested for Mid-March, I just send him back an email basically (nicely) saying "we might be able to do something for you, what did you have in mind ?", so the door is still open.

Basically, as any experienced event promoter can tell you, its the stress of *making sure* everything comes together on the day that I dont want to take on any more.

The old "The Show must go on" thing is real and it *is* a big deal to have the buck stopping on your desk. When you accept that responsibility, and you have to start chasing Roboteers to be ready, arranging compliance with whatever regulations are required for the venue, chasing down people to be judges, making sure people behave sensibly, arbitrating disputes and so on, it becomes quite a bit of work.

Like all things, theres a sense of satisfaction to be had at the end of the day if it all comes off well, and I think it gives you a sense of confidence to know you can make something amazing happen if you try hard.. but frankly, I've done it often enough that the idea of stepping back into the ring doesnt appeal much at the moment.. I'm a techie at heart, and I want to tinker with the wires behind the scenes for a bit, not be the ringmaster.

So Shreddy, if you are interested (and of Age yet ?), or maybe Sean, or Neweyn or someone wants to take the reigns of this potential event ?

I will support and advise you with my experience of what I think needs to be done to make it a success, but whoever raises their hand, it will be *your* event as far as I'm concerned, and your problem to make it all come together. Its not that scary, because you will have me to help you watch out for common mistakes, but you will be doing the work and being the ringmaster Smile doo-doo-doo-doodle-dit-dah-da-da-doo-dah (ascii circus music Wink )

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sean is in Germany... Might be hard for him to run an event Wink

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmm well how serious are they? If they are really keen then you can throw my name out there but interstate will make things difficult. This is also dependent on how dead I am after November as I can tell you the number of EO events I have left in me is declining. (I swear I have less hair) I also don't want to take this away from someone in Vic as odds are it would be much easier for you to do it.

I have not heard anything from ideas festival as of yet and am not sure if I will to be honest. The Edge hasn't mentioned anything about plans for next year and they are always pretty tight on money being Not for Profit. So if they are willing to throw the cash at it (and possibly some to me), I reckon I can make it happen.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well you have good credibility for making things happen at the moment, so I'd be happy to put your name forward if you really want. They replied to me and have a reasonable budget to play with, although as usual the Arena is going to be the tricky part, unless Sidetracked are happy to move theirs.

I totally know what you mean about the less hair Smile EO'ing is nowhere near as much fun or as easy as people think it is, isnt it ? But Ive done my turn at it for plenty of events.. if noone else wants to try then too bad, I'll just let it slide. Are you sure you want to give it a go from up there ?

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Might be better off trying for Ideas Festival if its a "reasonable" budget.

And being interstate maybe I should save my motivation for the most rewarding opportunities.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:40 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The Ideas Festival is going ahead next year but we have not yet been aproached about it.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seanet1310

As Aaron said im working in Germany and dont get back till 3rd March so i can not take on EO. I could not orgonise other events as the condenced uni year for me and orgonising work and everything in Germany was taking up considerable time.

Maybe an email around to the older members see if any are interested?

One thing would this involve a new arena or could the arena be rented from Sidetracked ? Sounds expensive now they use it for the rentalbots.

Completely understand Bretts stepping back from this you have done so much for so long and always managed a smooth event sense ive been around that must take a hell of a lot of effort.
Too bad there probably wont be a Robowars national at sidetracked but this might be the best bet.

Just thinking of people who could EO.
Danny dropped off the face of the planet with his arena over a year ago as far as i know.
Neweyn is married and has been quiet for a while.
Andrew W (vic) i think is back from OS maybe he can help out with organising if contacted. have not heard anything from him in ages.
Gary i herd was very busy.
Matt doesnt put much time into the sport might might be worth an ask.
Rob was talking about orgonising a local event few pages back could be worth making him aware of the tread.
Shreddy is probably too young still to take legal responsibility.
Tim dropped off a while back and was busy.
George always seamed busy.
Kirsten ? not that interested. finishing uni and getting full time job and taking on new course probably no time.
Anyone i am missing?

I dont have contact details for many of these people where i am so if anyone has emails, phones, other might be worth making them aware of the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I can always offer my 2c from an EO perspective, but 4000km makes it hard to be too involved...

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:37 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

hey guy's, I'm still around, had a busy few months. (getting married, buying a house etc) Then my login to robowars stopped working as I changed my email address (thanks Brett for fixing, and sean for getting in contact with brett)

Yes got married and then due to the Melbourne property prices being so high I have moved 400km's north of Melbourne. (Wodonga)

I don't have time at the moment to be the EO, however if I'm free the weekend of the event I'll be their!!!

I'm happy to run the rounds on the day as well. (Round Robin or Double Elim, which ever the EO wants)

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:49 pm 
seanet1310

Congratulations on the house and marriage Neweyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:35 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Hi guys, this year have taken a step back from robots to have time for other projects, im halfway through bodywork on my car restoration and im out of work looking for work at the moment.

Gary is still really busy working at home and at the hot rod shop and finding time for his own stuff is unachievable at the moment. I am unsure when things will quieten down for him.

I have got a bit of time on my hands so I can offer to be an EO for a small sidetracked event for around Jan-Feb

About the other offer on the table, the one Brett's been contacted about in email. I wont say yes to that one in this post, but it is a great offer we've received. The question is do we have enough activity among the builders to go to that length. I would need to chase up some builders and see whats possible from their point of view.

For this show (in comparison to a small sidetracked event) i'd assume some of the extra work would be...
promotion required
moving an arena
managing money as theres money offered
the stakes would be higher to have a good turnout of builders given its a payed event

There will be a lot to learn i will need to be educated, even though im an older member I still dont know what goes on behind the scenes to put a show together, so i would need all the help i can get!

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:12 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by NMO:
hey guy's, I'm still around, had a busy few months. (getting married, buying a house etc)
Congratulations.

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:08 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Just to let you know possible march event isn't dead yet. I have been in contact and is still a possibility. am asking quite a lot but otherwise its not worthwhile from QLD.

Also I have a trip to Japan on the cards at the same time so once again I am not wasting my time if its not worth it.

Will hopefully hear something back tomorrow or Tuesday.

Steve

Last edited by marto on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:37 pm