www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Growing the sport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

perhaps "docudrama"
I don't think we want to embellish things with smoke bombs etc.
If we are trying to get more people in, the people will be interested in the real thing, if we make "false promises" we wind up with the wrong people coming.

A build blog for one or two of the more interesting bots would be good as a segment.
post fight we can do highlights and strategy to fill a bit more time.

If the other states joined in, we could get more episodes (and show ours on their equivalent networks hopefully?) and build up to the interstate events. DOUBLE EPISODE SPECIAL! ;->

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well hey im building demon 2 and going to brisbane soon, you can come film that haha.

serious though how do you get TVS if you have foxtel. anyone know >__>

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome! Can I get you autograph Mr Dyrodium? My real name is 'eBay' Laughing

You probably have 100 X more resources than I do, but there are two good sample CDs I have "things that go bump in the night' from Big Fish Audio and Trance Fusion (nothing to do with trance music!) from Ilio. Full of cool industrial background sounds, crazy vocoder voices and electronic transition effects.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:17 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing For sure, I can always use more samples.
What was that show on turbo? Robots revenge or something? They did something similar to what Jake is suggesting, most eps were interviews with builders with robots in progress, testing speed etc culminating in the actual event. Laughing Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Never heard of that one, if you find a link be sure to post it here.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i have it all on VHS, if anyone can capture it feel free to take the tapes. if youve got disco turbo im pretty sure there still re-playing it.

even that UK gadget show segment that went for about 30 minutes was really good as well. ill upload it again if no ones seen it. it was very well produced. very top gearesque Cool

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Noice! We should all have a good study of that.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm 
seanet1310

sounds good.
if this starts to come together might get a few vic bots out of drydock.

I would agree with some of the others. show it more like it is rather then things like smoke bombs to make it more entertaining.
I can bring back my plastic bots if we want something to destroy they can be compensative enough (eg a rebuild + improvements of the lifter that got pyrobot on its side) while providing destruction.

from that link at the start of this you can use some licensed music on tvs from APRA/AMCOS for some situations that may help a bit and as said a lot of angus's style could used with sucsess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Having worked for EMI, I find it hard to believe APRA would do free licensing - perhaps the corporate music rip-off is finally changing! Smile. For a TV soundtrack we need a HUGE theme track to go over the intro and credits, then we need a number of related ambient pieces for scene transitions, mood setting, crescendos etc. They would typically be under 10 seconds and would either be straight samples off a CD of permutations of the main theme music.

Its too early to make any decisions, but I think Angus is well up to the task. The other option is to get a cheapish performance license for Angus to perform a well known track and work it over to fit our show.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm 
bytraper

I think there's limitations on when and where you can use the free music, especially when it comes to youtube posting etc, so it's probably going to be better to get angus to do all the related tunes and music required.

The smoke bombs was just a suggestion, my personal preferred solution would be to have a few good clips at the start, an intro to the bots fighting, an intro to the builders with flashbacks of their bots in action and then the fight.
Then at the end have a segment that's designed to stretch over a number of episodes which covers how to buit a bot and get involved, where cheap parts can be sourced, common problems and repairs etc.
So mixing up introductions to the bots, builders and fights with something to get interested people involved, that's why I was thinking to have the community deciding winners, that way you gauge popularity, and get construcive comments on what people want to see, while encouraging new people to visit the forums

If its done right it opens potential that hasn't been seen for years.
At the same time, I don't think months should be taken producing it either, I think its important to try and create a comfortable envioroment where anybody would be excited to be a part of.

It'll be fun to make and fun to be a part of.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just to throw another thing out there. Youtube is a very big place to advertise and air media, there is a lot of TV quality stuff on there. A good example of an amatuer show is Mighty Car Mods ( http://www.youtube.com/user/mightycarmods ) which is made in Sydney. Moog and Marty started off filming it all in the drive way with basic car related videos and information and have slowly progressed over the last few years to tv quality production work with thousands of youtube views a month. Each episode is filmed, edited and published by just two guys in their spare time.

Have a look at their older stuff, then look at their newer episodes, it's pretty good for a two guys from suburban Sydney Smile

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Is that 2.3 million views on their YouTube page? Shocked FUCK ME Shocked ! Surely all of us together can do that well? That level of viewing must surely convert into some cash for production costs.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Here is a small 'behind the scenes' video from MightyCarMods.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4mgGQjJl0
Shows an insight into how they do it all and how it sorta rolls together.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
@ Bytrapper Not really a new idea. Been having the discussion with my brother on how to make something into TV worthy program for a while. However TVS is a good find,Steve

http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=829&highlight=tvs

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:57 am 
bytraper

Yes, though the difference between now and then is pretty obvious, look at the quality of the footage and editing skills between those 2 years Smile

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:34 pm