www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Growing the sport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
Andrew_Campbell [WA]

Is this club specifically for the NSW competition, given the NSWRFC page, or do you plan on it having a national appeal?

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:52 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Focused on the NSW events, but all the general stuff will have global appeal. About the only thing I am ruling out is a forum, any other ideas, content etc can go in. If you have an event or build report from anywhere, I'm happy to post it up.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I'd like to integrate the battle system into it If possible, perhaps as a link off it just to have all the info accessible and automatically updating.

I was thinking about how to get some new members, If we can pitch it as an educational program to high schools, I'm thinking year 9-10 design and technology (perhaps yr 11-12 but I'm not sure how the HSC examiners would regard it, considering most people build a canoe or something).

I was thinking if we can give it to schools as a well supported program that shows how it fills the syllabus requirements and we are able to back it with school visits and build days etc (meaning that at worst there is no additional work for the teachers and at best we can do some of the work for them) then we could build some new members there.

If they have access to "club equipment" for the expensive items, chargers that kind of stuff so we can minimize their inital outlay then parents would sponsor their kids to the tune of $50-100 for the project, to be completed in 4-6 person teams.

We would mentor the teams, help them with hot works (welding, grinding etc).

What we need to get is $ for event insurance, look at the insurance obligations with regards letting a 14 year old near something sharper than a spoon, and if possible free licenses for some kind of CAD software for the kids to draw their bots up in.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That sounds good, except I can't see how we would ever get enough money for insurance. The guys in Queensland had a good look at insurance and the premiums were huge - more than replacing our arena floor as I recall.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:10 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the "construction" insurance can be self funded. And hopefully that would get enough membership money to get insurance for a no uninvolved public event like we run. I'd imagine the insurance on that would be dramatically lower than a public event.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Andrew_Campbell [WA]

Been there, done that Valen Smile. You will find that the insurance for actually building the robot will come under the jurisdiction of the school in question, or the Education Dept for the State Govt in the case of Public Schools. The event we had running over in WA 10 years ago fell apart simply due to the Public liability insurance blow up for the event itself; over a several month period, it went from manageable, to couldn't-get-insurance-for-any-money, hence the event was killed off. There was an option of allowing the Education Dept to 'Manage' the event, which would have put us under their insurance cover, but then the bureaucracy would have stepped in, and the event destroyed in any case, so we decided, wisely, I believe, to nip it in the but and hold the idea in abeyance for when times were better suited...like now, actually.

I'm currently getting feedback from the old team on whether we want to go to the effort of setting it up again; if anything, it is a much easier sell, as the cost of making a simple robot is less than half that it was back then, and likely to perform much better.

One thing we had back then, that you would be advised to do also, is a build manual, listing how to make three designs, step by step, with pictures and forum support, so even the schools that are not gifted with a strong DT program can participate. A Wedge, a Thwack bot and a Rammer. It would also be a great idea to approach suppliers and ask them for a special tax free 30x rate for their product to be included in a standardised kit robot pack (Radio, ESC, Receiver, Motors, Mixer, SLA) which the school can buy for ~$350 or whatever. If you put too many choices in front of teachers that already have way too damn much to look after, then it will be shoved in the 'Too hard' bin. I would also get some glossy info packs put together of the event, the rationale, how it can help the kids, and how you can take the stress off the teachers running it at a school level, and take it to one or more of the many education PD days that happen at the start of each semester - Captive audience. Also, most States have a newsletter that goes out to every teacher in the govt system, and they will often be happy to run a small infomercial on the upcoming project. you would have to start thinking about rulesets, events, blah blah now, and work on key figures over the first half of 2010, for a build in Semester 2 and the event in November. It is quite possible, and there are a lot of teachers out there that will really go for the idea, as they were the ones giggling with glee 15 years ago when they were watching Robot Wars UK.... The Private Girl's Schools here were the most ferocious about wanting to compete and destroy the other teams..I tell you, those Catholic Girl Schools... (St Trinians wannabees, perhaps)
I'm happy to help with some advice, if you wish, which may give you a few ideas on how to proceed.

if you are really serious, then we should think about a national ruleset, that will be acceptable for us perhaps turning it onto a national comp, with the top 4 or 6 teams from each participating State/Territory competing for a National Prize. If there are two States running similar programs, it would be silly having incompatible rulesets.

**Edit bit** Don't think of a National anything, though, for at least the first few years of a State based program. The rules, aye, but not the program. A National level of the sport will naturally flow from two or more successful State comps getting together, but the State comps have to come first.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew_Campbell [WA] on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
but all the general stuff will have global appeal. About the only thing I am ruling out is a forum, any other ideas, content etc can go in. If you have an event or build report from anywhere, I'm happy to post it up.

Whats wrong with the Wiki for such things ? Not that I'm trying to convince you not to do it, but it seems to be a lot of work to duplicate a framework thats already there.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dylon

would it be possible to get a poster/business card made up and linked on the forum so that it can be printed and given out... its a start for the advertising side, people may not read them but having some business cards on you and giving them out to people that seem interested wouldn't hurt.

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:31 pm 
shreddy

exactly what i was saying before with the brochure idea! great minds think alike Laughing

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:39 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Whats wrong with the Wiki for such things ? Not that I'm trying to convince you not to do it, but it seems to be a lot of work to duplicate a framework thats already there.

I want to avoid my site becoming just a portal. There will doubtless be many links back to Robowars and other places, but there has to be plenty of internal content for the site to be successful. I am also not happy withthe formatting limitations of the Wiki framework

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:56 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

there are about 1000 each of posters and business cards for the nswrfc floating about. nobody took them after chris had them made.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Seriously? I never saw them! Shocked

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:30 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

[quote="Nick"]

quote:
I want to avoid my site becoming just a portal. There will doubtless be many links back to Robowars and other places, but there has to be plenty of internal content for the site to be successful. I am also not happy withthe formatting limitations of the Wiki framework

Fair enough, well the only other way I know of to automatically generate RSS feeds from content is to use a CMS system like Joomla or Drupal, which also place templated-formatting limitations on the content.

Unless you're planning on hand-coding all the content and rss feeds yourself ?

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

We had a secondary collage wonting to do fighting robots near Geelong.

Started work on a kit frame/drive unit that could be finished of with whatever weapon / Armour they could come up with.

That way there was a good chance they might get something that can move.

Was going to be laser cut, fold along the perforations and a few welds so quick and easy to mass-produce.

Was designed around 100 watt scooter drives so that’s no longer possible.

Brett might remember some of the story, they contacted him, I was just helping with the hardware.

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:00 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its good old hand-coding with Dreamweaver and Photoshop; its what I know and already have installed. Templates and CSS should take the edge off the work.

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:58 am