www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars 2010 Date Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Kirst

I'll be in Brazil somewhere at the time, but does anyone know when Robowars next year is on? I'm voting for after the 7th of Feb when I'll actually be in the country.

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I havent locked in a date yet, but I was thinking around January 16/17 in keeping with the previous Mid-Jan times.

However, if enough people want it early Feb, it can be changed.. Fight it out between you and let me know.. I'll probably lock in the date in the next week or so, so dont argue for too long. Smile

@ collo: Making a Robowars your first event is a really bad idea. Its usually double-elimination, which means you dont get many chances before you're out, (although this too can be changed if people can agree on an alternative format real soon.)

It makes much more sense to have a practice "real event" run at a smaller event, so you can get experience at charging your batteries, being ready for fights on time and so on. If you havent competed before, you will be amazed how many "That will only take 5 minutes" jobs actually occupy hours or days when it comes down to the wire.

Waiting for the big show for your first go is a recipie for dissapointment.

In Fact (depending on # of Entrants), I'm even temped to do a battlebots-ish type thing, and have a "pre-seeding" round where the rookie robots can fight it out amongst themselves on Friday to gain a spot in the main tournament against the veteran robots that can be counted on to put up a good fight..

That way any "embarrasing first outings" can be gotten out of the way before the big crowds are watching.

The only bad part I can see about that idea is that it denies the vet's any nice soft cannon fodder bots to chew on in the early rounds Smile

although honestly most vets are too nice to entertainingly chew you to bits if you had a bad first round -
They would at least wait for the second loss to slaughter you since youd be out anyway Smile

In fact, I just had a funny idea. How about a condition of entry for all rookie bots (that have not completed a fight so far) is that you have to bring along a cheap-but-functional remote control car (say a $30/$50 Tandy car or something) as a stand-in for your bot (if it doesnt show, or cant make a fight for some reason).. AND you have sweep up the pieces afterwards. Smile

That should encourage rookies to try harder, make for some fun displays, save the vets from having to bring along junk to smash up, and show the crowd just how destructive these things really are when not trying to eat another tough combat robot... What do people think ?

Anyway, back to the point, thrash out a date guys, just not the 23/24th of jan, since thats the Australia Day weekend and a lot of folk will probably be away for that.

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shreddy

mmm
im probably okay for any date really.
with regards to the rookie bot thingo, im hoping to get down to the arena with a working bot atleast 1-2 weeks before robowars to give it a hard run-in and let it break then, could be a good idea for other newbies and ppl who would want to have a test/tune day to get that out of the way to cause as little problems on the actual day.
but they're just a few thoughts

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

whenevers good. probably later if possible. the wallet will be totally sucked dry after xmas Razz

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I also vote for early feb, that way I can make it next year because obviously i'm needed to stop bender. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:38 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Later is probably better. New Bender to finish and lots to do on Reboot. Smile

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 am 
andrew

yeah, later if u fellas want, got two other robots besides rapture to finish for it, bringig me some friends and a boot full of bots so at least 2-3 from me for the event probably

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Id prefer before the 12th of Feb (going away on the 12.2.10) other than that anytime.

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:09 am 
Collo

Im out all Jan. So Feb would be good for me so I can come and WATCH. Smile

I understand that Robowars isn't a good time to make a debut, just saying that I've said I can make nearly every event, but never have a robot completed, or exams or schoolies or something always taking up the date. Hopefully see everyone there, I'll be cheering for you.

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:43 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Feb is cool with me. Gives me more time to decide if I want to bring a non-melty bot or not Smile

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:07 pm 
seanet1310

im good for any jan or feb date i dont mind like all the others feb would give me some more time but then again how many of use use that extra time well?

there are advantages of starting at robowars. you get to see some of the more damaging bots that dont come out and play much at the local events just dont be suprised if your out after 2 rounds. (there are always spots that need fillers if the bot lives. and some experenced bots go out early anyway) if i had not started at robowars i would have been shreaded at battleshed my first year.
I didnt go very well at that robowars but i dont think many people would say it was not too much of a ""embarrasing first outings" other then the whole leaving a kg or so of armor in the arena that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I'll be there no matter which date. Just let me know the date soon.

Are flame throwers allowed?

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:35 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'd have to go with many others and say the first half of Feb would be preferable.

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:32 am 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Jans good for me.

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:15 pm 
Andrew W

Early Feb is fine with me. I'll be there with 2 robots (if flame throwers are allowed. The flamethrower just needs a speed controller and a few other bits & pieces.)

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:46 pm