www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars 2010 Date Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Jtepper

hey, just wondering roughly what times each day? oh and i dun know how to use the wiki but were def coming, also is there anything not completely obvious that us noobs need to know b4 we rock up?

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Round robin or double elimination? Do you need help setting up draws?

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 pm 
seanet1310

gary mentioned here http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59934&highlight=#59934 best wait for an offical word from brett.
If round robin what of the many rules will we follow?
theres the NSW, QLD, the vic ones we ran last sidetracked, The modifyed ones after that sidetracked neweyn posted about see http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1438
or a different system all together? ATM only 6 bots (+ gary posted about another 3=9) are registered with less then a week to go so i guess we may be able to run a full and complete round robin as there are two days which would then mean standard judging for robowars could apply.

There are also a few questions that have yet to be answered from the last month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just got a call from Russell, he will be there with a new bot.

I am finally doing a bit of building today, new version of Bender, probably should just prep the old.

Neweyn is looking after the round robin I think, using his system that’s very similar to the Kkeerroo system.

My suggestion to Brett when we talked about it last was to que everyone up Sydney style and run the round through back to back then put the rental bots back in the arena and have our time in the pits.

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:22 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Will it be possible to turn up on the Friday like past events for setting up and a bit of testing?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm 
andrew

hey all,

still coming defo with some friends, definitely competing with my new lil wedge/rambot thing, so far it looks like rapture will be used for demo's only as i prob wont have enough time to get the rear end amour/anti spinner stuff organised

so yeah one robot still from me defo and if i have time thursday before i leave to drive to goulbourn will see if i can get rapture ready for competition but as it stands currently its working but not enough time to get rear end organised properly and do not feel confident enough in the rush to put it in arena with the likes of bender etc, would rather not risk it for robowars and use the extra time to get it finished properly for first round of local series.

next time but for this comp itll be used as entertainment only and demo's/smashing stuff up to amuse the crowd.

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the extended absence, I've been living/working on the other side of the day (Working from mid afternoon to 7-9am !) for the last week or so and just havent felt up to posting on the few moments I've had to check in on the forum.

Round Robin it is, details are being handled by Neweyn since Ive never run a round robin before, and dont know much about the details.

Times are the usual, SideTracked opens around 9.30am on Saturday and about 10am on Sunday. We will aim for around an 11am kickoff on each day. How long each day goes for will depend on how many robots show up and how well organised you lot are.

Keep it running smoothly and we should have plenty of time to get it all done by around 4-6pm on Saturday and until everyone has had enough on Sunday.

Note that Neweyn proposes a "ready for this round" queueing system. If you want your robot to be included in a round, it has to be on the floor - *off your workbench* charged and ready to go (just *connecting* (not charging) batteries, closing lid etc) before you will be included in a round. If you are still busy charging, repairing, just got a few screws to put in, or whatever excuse when a round is being drawn, then you miss out on your chance to go in that round and any points you would have received and will have to wait for the next round.

Wacky Race is a possibility if enough people having running bots at the end of the event. last time we didnt run it purely becaause there were only about 2 or 3 bots interested or capable of running.

Friday practice is allowable, provided your bot can *not* damage the arena floor. Vertical Disc spinners and other potentially arena damaging robots can spin-up test, but not practice pushing other bots around with the discs spinning. If I am not there when you arrive, make sure you talk to Mark Naumann (SideTracked Manager) and get his permission before you use the arena for *anything*.

Entry Fee could be optional this year if you guys want to forgo prize money. what do you think ? Majority Vote on the day carries it.

Newbies make sure you arrive *early* with your bot in ready-for-inspection condition. Failure to arrive in time for a tech check / weigh in means no competing for you until someone has time to check you later on.

Friends/Family/Juniors are generally not allowed in the pits unless they are a necessary part of your team. Disclaimers must be signed. If you want to give a friend/family a look around the pits during a break, it can probably be organised with a signed disclaimer with you in attendance with them at all times. Unsupervised non-combatants or kids will be booted out, and I would appreciate it if you could all help enforce this. we all know how dangerous these things are, Ignorant adults and kids do not. Help someone keep their fingers (or worse) and keep them on the right side of the arena wall.

Any other questions Ive missed answering ?

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanet1310

sounds good. i dont care which way we go about prize money.
interesting idea bout the queuing system not sure how it and a round robin fit together but neweyn im sure will have it all worked out posibly running everything off the computer.

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

im all packed and ready to go. off to sunny sunny melbourne haha Very Happy

in nsw we do a similar thing with the round robin. you elect to go in. but if your not ready when your fights called you forfeit straight away. seems to work fair enough.

all the other points seem fair enough!

whats everyone doing on friday? angus sean and i should be all checked in and what not by 1-2pm so drinking, last minute building, general shenanigans there after Smile

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:

whats everyone doing on friday? angus sean and i should be all checked in and what not by 1-2pm so drinking, last minute building

lets hope not in that order

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
quote:
Originally posted by Glen:

whats everyone doing on friday? angus sean and i should be all checked in and what not by 1-2pm so drinking, last minute building

lets hope not in that order

It worked last time Razz

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

not for andrew haha. Surprised

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 pm 
andrew

ha ha ha ha......shut up

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

My brother has taken our normal video camera and I don't have a chance to get it before I leave on friday, so i can film high speed video of fights but I can't edit them with the standard fotage. So I can either give the high speed fotage to some else at the competition or use the camera to try to get some good action photos, since its main selling point was taking 60 photos per second rather then the slow videos. What do people prefer?

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:58 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Hi All,

Here are the rules for the round robin. Any question please ask.

Event Layout
*** Before the draw for the next round, (which will happen at the completion of the previous round), all competitors will
be asked if they beleive they will be ready for the next round. If they are not ready they will not be included in that
rounds draw.

*** 5 mins prior to each round all robots competing in the round will be required to line up in a queue ready to
compete with exception of power up and or gassing of pneumatic weapons. Failure to be ready in time will be considered
a forfiture.

*** If a robot forfits the robot it was due to fight is considered to have a bye, which will be awarded 20 points.

*** The round will then proceed one fight after the other until the round is complete with the minimum possible time
between fights.

*** There will then be a 30 min break between the rounds for battery recharging and repairs. A 10 min warning will be
announced prior to the start of the next round.

*** We will have as many rounds as is practical before Lunchtime on Sunday. After lunch on Sunday the competition will change
format to a single elimination event with the top 8 robots from the round robin competition.

*** The round robin will be arranged to eliminate bye’s if there are 2 or more bye’s (1 bye per round is still possible).
During the draw process.

*** Scoring for the round robin will be via the standard Robowars judging criteria of Control, Damage, Aggression, Style with
a possible 10 points being awarded to each criteria for the winning robot (possible total of 40 points per fight). 0 points
for the loosing robot.

*** Bye’s will be scored at 20 points.

*** Forfiting a round will be awarded 0 points.

*** If you forfit a round you can still be included in the next round.

Estimated number of rounds (guide only)

20 robots competing
Saturday 4 rounds
Sunday 2 rounds

15 Robots Competing
Saturday 6 rounds
Sunday 2 rounds

10 Robots Competing
Saturday 7 rounds
Sunday 3 rounds

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:32 am