Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

OK, here is a draft set of dates:

April 18th (school holidays)

June 6th

July 18th (school holidays)

August 29th

October 10th Battleshed (school holidays)

November 21st

Those dates are fairly evenly spaced at 6 to 7 weeks and all the school holidays are covered. My calendar doesn't have other holidays marked, so we might adjust things a bit to fit / avoid significant dates.

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:32 pm 
Dylon

sweet that makes at least 4 events ill definately be at, pretty sure june 6th is queens bday long weekend too

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

looks good.

after watching every episode of robot wars on end (whats sleep again?) i think it would be pretty hardcore if we dispense with tap outs and just have a good old 10 second count out if your immobilised otherwise you keep going Cool

try it out at battleshed maybe? Surprised

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Personally am not too sure

If my robot is sitting there after taking a huge hit and there is a 10 second wait if during that time the opponent keeps hitting me than i would be pissed

If your out u tap out and thats it, no dicking around, no prolonged and maybe un-required damage.

I would like to see opinions for and against compared to current system.

Only good reason for 10 second thing in my book is it made better TV but thats not needed for us

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:59 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well maybe a pit a hazard or a house robot? seriously the one hit wonders and 30 seconds long fights are making it so boring its not funny. something to at least spice them up if they do happen or at least strongly discourage that type of behaviour would be good Smile

just throwing ideass around

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

No tap outs would be cool with me, kinda makes you focusing more on not half assing anything. Matches would certainly be more exciting, since people couldn't just tap out when they get some paint scratched Razz

EDIT: Like the idea of a pit!

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:07 pm 
seanet1310

i also think no tapouts would be fine. Just start the imobolised countdown quickly so if a robot is disabled they do not take much excess damage.

NSW would need to armour the bottom of the pit if they had one so a spiner didnt rip the arena down from below.
Vic events run fine with a pit but the worced the pit had to face is a thwackbot or 4.
For NSW scoring system maybe limit the maximum points someone can receive if they tap out to help discourage tapouts

But i can see some peoples problem with it. The no tapouts may make it so you can not compete for the rest of the event due to massive damage or electronic damage may cost a heap to repair.
Some US style fights you see where there is 1 hit no major damage and someone tapes out is not what we want here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Last edited by seanet1310 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thats true sean, maybe in our nsw system if you tap out you get 0 points for that fight while the winner is still scored normally. that way tapouts are still being discouraged and the genuine tap out queens still have that option to go down.

thoughts?

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 pm 
andrew

Either way i dont mnd but if after i cant move and after i vocally say "i cant move" to everyone/other driver if i am hit again after that when ive made clear i cant defend myself then the other person is getting an aerial in the eye

No problem with it but after its made clear other person is immobilsed then if other person goes to damage them further then that would be very poor in my eyes

I have no issues if its a flipper/lifter/whatever and they just wanna have fun without causing more damage, ill gladly let them do that to put on a show but if its a nasty axe/spinner/launcher i would refuse to save un-required excess damage

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Pit... we need one badly. Laughing Should teach some people how to drive, too!
EDIT: We should have it bot activated too lol, i'm sure it's possible to do and not cheat like they did in robotwars. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:05 pm 
Dylon

i agree that we need to make each event more interesting, i travel a long way to just see 3 boring fights, its causing me to lose interest in the hobby quite fast.

changing up the events with like 2 on 2, 3 on 3 etc, tag team and such, something different to 1 on 1 in a plain arena as its becoming quite stale and repetitive.

A pit or arena flipper would be cool, could possibly change a boring match to something interesting..
I agree on the tap out and you get 0 points, will help discourage people taping out, the way i see it if you can still drive even though your robot might be heaps damaged you can still fight. lack of a working weapon is no excuse, build a back up weapon such as a wedge to keep the match going..

we may not have to entertain a crowd or tv viewers but we still have to entertain ourselves.

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:11 pm 
Collo

I agree that tap outs should be frowned apon. Ive only been to one comp, but it's really a let down when one robot takes a big hit and loses its weapon but can still drive, and the fight is over. If everyone wants a bit more coverage and popularity of the sport/hobby then it should be a mix of builder courtesy, so a fully immobolised robot can tap out, and good viewing, getting more action per fight. It will also force builders to really think about their designs with a reliable weapon system rather then a massive spinning disc that can only dish one hit and hoping for the best.
Thats just my view, of course money plays a big part in the hobby, and no one wants to spend ages building a robot only to see it pulverised when they cant move. And aren't we all kind of building for fun and then the destroying of others dreams?

As for the pit, about time there's something to truly award the good drivers and builders who dont want to complicate designs with weapons and supports, all for the pit.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:26 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

most people will keep going if they can drive.
If you want to stop tap outs just imagine scissorhands taking out every single piece of electronics in your bot in one hit.

That is not cool and would lead to more people being out of the comp entirely rather than for a round.

Rather than a penalty, perhaps a bonus for going the full round.
1 point added to your total for each minute of the round?

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Adding points for longer fights means you add points for not KOing each other? Isn't that against the idea of fighting them in the first place?

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah, I dunno, I don't really have a problem with how things are now.
There aren't any tap outs that I recall when the other person could conceivably continue.

Typically if the person is out its cos they are dead dead.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number