Author    Thread
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Horrible debt?

I haven't used it tho. Angus can probly help

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:48 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Had it when i attempted and failed uni lol, Still have 12k of debt sitting there whenever i start making over 50k a year (HAAA funny, probably not in this lifetime Razz )

I don't see how you could afford uni without it unless you're super rich to be honest, or stashed away the full amount for your kid previous. The repayments aren't that huge though. Something like 4% of taxable income once you are earning over 50k a year.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

The idea is once you start making repayments you won't even really notice. Two years ago, the benefit of paying upfront (at least in NSW) was a 20% savings, but they've slashed that down to 10% now so it's almost not worth the extra stress... Evil or Very Mad Few friends were stung by that...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:50 pm 
seanet1310

I didn't HECS but U was lucky to be able to pay it up front.

Unless you have a lot of money hanging around to save that 10% I would just HECS it. Most people like Angus said would barley notice.

From the Tax office website (http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/8356.htm)

Even when earning over $91k you are only repaying 8% of your total taxable income (and you have net loss, super and a few other things)

Almost all the grads in the program I am in have HECS and there is not much different in our pay checks. About $120/fortnight from memory.

Glen, didnt you only go to uni for a few weeks (or a semester)? Were you full fee paying to rack up that kinda debt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah we hecs our way through uni and post grad.

The best thing about hecs is that if you never pay it off and you die the government wavers the bill. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I was there for two semesters Smile in retrospect, should have dropped out before the cut off period as it wasn't working out at all by then lol. hindsight as always.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I didn't earn enough when I first started working to pay off my debt. When your not earning enough they will charge you intetest. Once I hit the minimum limit they will charge you a years worth for the rest of the financial year. That's not bad if you get the pay rise in Augast, but I got thst pay rise in June and lost half my pay that month. But I recomend it over paying up front. Connie's uni fees were $11000 up front every semester and she was working over 56 hours a week in a resturant on top of her study, with free food from the resturant and me helping with her rent and she still need help with paying for 2 out of the 4 semesters. I'd prefer my 10 year debt that I rarely think about over the stress she's been through.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I didn't earn enough when I first started working to pay off my debt. When your not earning enough they will charge you intetest.

By interest do you mean CPI adjustments? Or was yours old enough and have interest? (I do not know the system beyond seven years ago)

I didn't think HECS debt had interest and the Government website study assist seams to indicate this as well (http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/hecs-help/pages/hecs-help-welcome)

CP Inexing is often 3-4% (http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/74307.htm) and used to adjust the cost to reflect real world money values. (In theory the CPI can go down thus reducing your debt such as -0.1 in 1998 for HECS but this is very rare and often a sign the economy is in trouble)
It also kicks in after 11 months now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

My debt started increasing straight away. But I finished uni in 2003, so the rules have probably changed since then. Started off about $21000 and then increased to about $25000 before I started earning enough to have it taken out with tax.
I think I've got another 12 months before mine is paided off and then I should get an extra $300 a fortnight in my pay check. Cool

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks. Good to hear a consensus of opinion. Alex will go the HECS route.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What are GPSs like? Never used one.

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Calling Andrew Welch haha.

I use garmin xt on my phone but to be honest i haven't used it in about 12 months now cause i pretty much know my way around Sydney at large. Just memorise it off of google maps before i leave cause i hate having to dive across lanes at the last moment and what not.

My phone gps is pretty good, only point of contention with it is it will tell you to turn left further up and shout out this is your turn when you're right there.

Mum' nuvi is a complete pile and seems to get itself randomly lost before freezing for 5 minutes and working out where it has to go.

The gps integrated into our mazda though is freaking great lol.

Merry xmas to yah Phil Smile

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:26 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Merry Christmas back to you, Glen.

Normally I memorise Google Maps before I leave, but now I am driving semi-trailers through Brisbane City to new locations (new job this week). It is very hard to pull over and check a map and even worse to drop a U turn.

Is a GPS on any particular smart phone good?

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yes go the gps....I used it when delivering pizzas ...it totally rocked.....most phones should have it now....the one on my old nokia n8 works just as good as a stand alone one, but you may get more data charges on a phone compared to a windscreen mounted one....good luck with the new job to Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:55 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks, Miles. After more reading, I came across one suited to truck driving.

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 pm