www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

marayong 7 registration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I was just thinking of using a good directional mic, running that thru a noise gate and compressor and into the DV cam. Cameras usually have AGC, but its never much good. I know how to record sound seperately with frame accuracy, but we are not trying to shoot a feature film here Wink

Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Video Production is a very important aspect of helping the sport grow. Anything we can do to improve the quality of the end result is worthwhile, since the large majority of people will only ever see the bots on the screen. No matter what you do, you will never reach as many people live as you will through the screen.

Unfortunately, its also a very time-intensive and expensive thing to do well if you dont want the end result to look like aunty-flo's home-movies of her holiday at surfers. You are trying to recreate the experience of being there live for the viewers, and still cover up the boring bits between fights while the arena is swept and so on.

Just some of the things to think about to get a good result: (take a deep breath, no breaks here Wink ) Tripods are essential, good experienced camera operators who can zoom and pan with skill to avoid the jolty feeling, multiple camera angles (which immediately increase your editing time by the number of cameras squared), about 5-10 tapes per camera, brilliant lighting, white-calibrating all the cameras so you dont get strange color changes when changing views, 3-Chip camera's will give much more vivid color, multiple audio tracks so you can get the crowd roaring on one channel, yet still have the un-interfered with crunch when someones hammer hits, compressors and quality microphones to pickup the arena sounds clearly, a skilled interviewer, a check sheet to make sure each and every bot and team are filmed prior to any battles, and after battle damage is covered. a list of questions for the interviewer to ask the teams, grabbing the drivers before during and after the fight to get their emotional intensity on film (non builders react better to people feeling things than machines), and then weeks and weeks of free time to capture, edit, audio-mix, video process, master, create menu's, graphic overlay effects, logos, credits, render, and burn all of the footage you got. and by the time you have finsihed, you will *never* want to watch it again because you will know every second in excrutiating detail.

oh, and it would be nice if you didnt have to pay for all of that.. Rolling Eyes

Sound like fun ? Unfortunately, if you want to reach the masses with a quality product, thats what has to be covered.

Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Ah, the memories!
I used to be quite a film maker back in the 80`s as Writer, director, camera man, editor, foley artist, actor, special effects,,,, all the rest; some classic horrors such as "A stiring in the night" and "The Sanguivite" (What, you never heard of them!?) but they are pretty embarrassing to watch nowdays! and true, by the time your`e finished you never want to see them again!

I don`t expect we`ll win many Oscars just yet, unless they have one for enthusiasm. Good on Mitch, I had him in mind for doing interviews, he`s a natural for it! We`ll make some notes for him with suggested questions to ask and a rough script to make sure we get the footage we need.

No need to even try to make it too technical or profesional looking just yet Mr Spielberg! (Bret Laughing ) it will take practice and we have a full day of battles to contend with but I`m sure we`ll end up with another fun vid to watch.

"The Pits" video from KKEERROOs is one of my faves and there isn`t even any action in it!

Have we settled on a local comp name yet like Metal Mayhem? Is it Sydney Terror Bots,, er,, or something else?

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:16 am 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Oh,yeah, and congrats to Nick for that award and can you please sign up Regurgitator for our soundtrack, aw, please! Wink

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:23 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

some of the interviews I've got on disk here from RoboWars one are pretty good. I might spend a bit of time with them today and see if I can kick them along closer to being finished, it would be nice to have that 80-odd gig of drive space back.. Laughing

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Yeah for sure. Mitch would be a sweet as reporter for the event. love chatting with him and mucking round etc. I could also do interviews or cameraman or something if u want. Cook sausages although mine end up cremated half the time Very Happy Also be teh helpful hand with getting bots runing and such for others.

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:30 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
"The Pits" video from KKEERROOs is one of my faves and there isn`t even any action in it!

Except for that bit where I'm sitting back looking like a total yobbo in the seat while the soundtrack is singing "we are here, drinking beer...drinking beer...drinking beeeeeer..."

I'll get you guys for that.. Wink I dont even drink ! although I admit it sure looked like I should have had a VB in my hand right then. (plots twisted revenge scene... now where did my mirror go..) Twisted Evil

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:37 am 
Waddy the phoenix

lol sounds cool but an idea how bout we set up the 3rd dv cam to the roof so that we can get a top down look aswell as the corner views

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:28 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Except for that bit where I'm sitting back looking like a total yobbo in the seat while the soundtrack is singing "we are here, drinking beer...drinking beer...drinking beeeeeer..."

Sorry. Wink
I had that shot from the video, I had the music, it just had to be done.
At least its not as bad as the Mite-e-er video from Marayong 4.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

LOL! You already got me Brett, with the most hideous pic of me Iv`e ever seen! Laughing

@ Andrew. I love burnt snags but I hate bad camera work, take your pick!

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:08 pm 
andrew

Well then ill just use my video camera for my own personal use as i am a bit of a shocka. I will do whatever else that i can do WELL.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LOL, im doing camera work in english so rest assured i will critise the hell out of everything Twisted Evil - just jokin lol.

well id also like register:

robot: Aurora
team: Aurora
class: 3kg
freq: 29.785mhz AM
weapon: 9000rpm 150g weapon bar.

me and welcher are going to have a fight at the end of the day, so everyone bring a cybot and RC car and join in!

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:53 pm 
Windhammer

hey glen

isnt Aurora unsafe? because ive heard you saying that the spinning bar likes to fly off?

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LOL yes it did,

but now the hardened steel shaft has a stainless steel split pin going through it so i would say it wont come off, been testing it for a while too.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:53 am 
Waddy the phoenix

ok well 2 things im gonna register my new thingy (if it runs)
bot: CRUMILLION
team: Tortured Souls
frequency: IR
weopons: spikes maby something spinny yet dont know

and mark+ cerberus aing comeing this event

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:16 pm