www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Ideas Festival March 27 - 29 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I won't be able to make it - I will be in Thailand for a wedding Sad It will much less fun and way more expensive, but there is no getting out of it.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cool i worked it out, all signed up now Cool

so are we staying at that somewhere to stay place again? $20 a night cant be wrong Laughing

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skandia

Re: Ideas Festival March 27 - 30 2009

[quote="kkeerroo"]
We have also been asked to think about giving workshops for school kids quote]

i wana come to that Razz

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:53 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

All we know about the workshops is that we doubt we'd be able to build anything due to time limits. Most likely just showing robots and video's and just get the kids thinking.

A beetle entered? The arena might finally be used.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:45 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Ideas Festival March 27 - 30 2009

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
Looks like being a full round robin competition
Will we be allowed to forfeit selected matches? Marauder is too thinly armoured to survive against spinners. Can I choose to forfeit a match if I think I will be destroyed and then compete in the next round?

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

LOL, does that mean I can send up Scissorhands with one of the other guys? It can look threatening on a pit table and win all its matches be defaults Laughing

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing It's tempting to volunteer for that role!
I havn't confirmed my status quite yet... not sure where i'll be next year.
Are they going to get the sidetracked arena up again?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:39 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

We will be using our own point scoring system during the round robin that my brother and I worked on after he came back from Robogames last year. I probably should post it up here but any complaints or suggested changes will be ignored. Twisted Evil

Robots will be given points depending on the out come of the fight. Robots that win by knock out will be awarded more points than robots that win by judge’s decision. The maximum point that can be awarded during a fight that wins by knockout will be 30 and the maximum points for winning by judge’s decision will be 15. Robots that loose by a judges decision will also be given points but loosing by a knockout will give you nothing.

Example 1: Judges decision fight.
Marauder fights Siccorhands for the full three minutes. 3 judges will preside over the fight and each will have 5 points to distribute between the two robots. The points are decided by gut feeling and not by damage, control or any of those criteria. All three judges may decide to give 3 points to Marauder and 2 points to Siccorhands. So Marauder will get 9 points to add to its competition tally and Siccorhands will get 6. The win will go to Marauder.

Example 2: Knockout fight.
Siccorhands destroys Marauder. The full 15 judge’s points go to Siccorhands and Marauder gets nothing. The remaining 15 points depend on the time taken for the knockout to occur. If Siccorhand took 1 minute to kill Marauder it will be awarded an extra 10 points (0.667 of 15 points). If the knockout took 2 minutes he will be awarded 5 points (0.333 of 15). If it was 5 seconds into the fight it will be the full 15 points and if 5 seconds from the buzzer it will be only 1 point. The faster the knockout the more points you will get.

I believe byes will be 7.5 points to each robot.

The points are then totaled up for each round and the 8 highest robots go through to the single elimination finals.

And remember, any complaints or disagreements with this system will be ignored.

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Does Robogames operate a similar system? I thought it was a full on double elim with the whole double win required for the losers round and all?

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm 
cerberus3112

sounds good except it seems biased towards spinners that knock things out...
and for wedge fights can only get scored lowly due to the fact they have a lower chance of knockouts
Also is a knockout considered it dosnt drive ect?

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:53 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

the reason KO's are ranked higher is public live events are about the audience and its in the best interest of the event organisiers to keep the audience happy.
The funny thing is most KO battles in my experience only last 10 seconds and lot of the time its the one delivering it that comes of just as bad as the reciever
so you have 2 destroyed robots and 2 less compeditors to continue the battles .

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Robogames went double elimination for everything this year. There was one year where they did single elim for smaller bots; there was such an outcry that it was dropped.

It sounds like I will be missing out on a great event with big points for spinners Sad

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:37 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry for late reply but I'm on holiday.
Philip: I think it has always been the right of the competitor to forfeit a match. But you must keep in mind the negative consequences. If anyone is particularly worried about getting damaged then maybe we can organise some demonstrations for them so they wont disrupt the main competition too much.

cerberus3112: Yes a KO is a lack of controlled lateral movement. If you can't move your robot when asked then it is counted out. Only exceptions are if the robot is stuck on the arena or need separating. If the robot is stuck due to driver error it will be freed once and once only. If it is stuck due to contact with an opponent (eg. stacked against the wall or pushed under a side barrier) then it will be counted out as this is deemed an intentional attack from the opponent.

The scoring system was devised to reflect the nature of the sport. The idea is to build a robot that will beat the other guys robot. Therefor KOs get a higher score. I don't think this favors spinners more than any other robot. Nor do I think every KO happens in less than 30 seconds. For those who do make these assumptions I suggest you get on Youtube or other fight history sites and do some research. I have.
Robogames last year was run as a 2 round round-robin with a 3 round single elimination to find the winner. I remember this because I was there. I liked the system except the lack of rounds and so that is why we will use this system.
The round robin system is very flexible so should eliminate many delays and thus allow more fights per robot which is better for the builders. The audience is constantly coming and going so they wont care what system we use.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Good work in getting this going guys
What are the plans at this stage for an arena.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:37 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The plans for getting the arena are to continue waiting for the grant request to come through. At least we only have one more month to wait.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 pm