www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's looking very tidy, nice terminals! Does the "secret modification" to the wedge mean you finally hammered it flat again? Laughing

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well the addition is alot of filler rod to fill the gaps in the wedge and yes i have hammered it flat again Laughing HOW DID YOU KNOW Surprised

as for beetleweights i got the disk from the cutters and the side rails are now cut and milled to size. plenty more work to do but i have a solid design and something to work off so progress should be swift.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have spies everywhere! Wink

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

haha, well yes... wedge is patched up now and holes are filled. i also added these little nastys from some 12mm steel, pics from when i was halfway through fixing it.

signed up to a good welding message board and got heaps of tips on improving the welding and its definitely worked. did a few nice welds and best of all they have 100% penetration through every side so the steel will be tearing out before the weld Razz just a bit hard to control the heat because the welder is so basic thus the welds get a little ugly at the ends. but all with practice. turns out i have the wrong filler rod which explains ALOT.

beetleweights.. got a bit of inspriation in the form of Altitude. a cool little vertical spinner. so i started the build on that. 6mm aluminium sides, titanium base and a hardened steel disk. so thats a work in progress. gunna have some B16 drives in there as well as they fit the design very nicely.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dreakoth

is that a pocket bike brake disc?

p.s. singing motor is epic.

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:53 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ah forgot im using this thread now Laughing

good news on the sidewinder issue! Chris agreed to repair it but did recommend all sidewinders be shock mounted and not to bolt the tabs direct to the frame. none of those bolts have thread lock on them so if you have a sidewinder please threadlock them!

also ordered some new banebots wheels that are grippier with the hex hub which will stop the slipping problems + give me more traction. so things are looking up!

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well sidewinder is off in lala land getting fixed or whatever so new robot time.

have my pile of bits laying there and deciding on a few things..

horizontal or vertical disk.. chose a vertical because i can make that the smallest and simplest. plus none of my motors will work without poking up the top.

drives.. scooters or drills. my andrew mods still work great and they are light as. plus the scooters needed a fair bit more frame work. i could put them in but id be skimping on armour alot which i cant afford to be without.

weapon power. now here was the killer. i finally got my robot gas motor semi done and very light (about 2.5kg total) so i was serously thinking of doing this -

it would be mega simple as well, but i need the motor for phailbot. and its way lop sided and would probably flip over right away Laughing

so had to choose between outrunner and inrunner. thankfully i can use both Smile

as for armour it will be 6mm plate on the front and sides (the flexo stuff) and the back will be angled flexo steel like cobra but the rear wedge will be curved pipe for something a bit different.

7 cell a123 and scoprion xxl in there to get the works happening.

will put up some pics when im done but it looks very similar to a robot past but a quarter the size Laughing meh as long as it can take bit hits and dish out a few ill live with it Razz

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

couple of hours work. damn you andrew why do you have to go back in time and steal all my ideas! XD

total weight with all the guts is 10.3kg. leaving the base plate, weapon motor mount, weapon belt, welds and the rear plate + the rest of the bracing to add. should be a brick sh*t house!

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:30 pm 
andrew

h aha, keep up sucker, you should see when new orbit is dialed in right, ha ha ha, spun disc up two nights back, blue brushless inrunner with 2:1 reduction on 6 cells even kicks total arse, sounds like 5000 rpm at least Very Happy

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

shibby. get videos you goober Cool , this one should go pretty fast. its a bit more then 1:1 at the moment with the pulleys

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:53 pm 
cerberus3112

lol orbit vs what ever glens thing is called Razz would be cool to watch the winner can be deemed the original

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:13 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Both have such blunt discs, it will be like a pair of grannies gnawing on each other without their teeth Razz

NOM NOM NOM!

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:05 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lmao

got the two upright posts drilled out to hold the shaft tonight. the mill actually makes holes straight and cetnered! im digging that Cool

got everything all drafted up in cad now so i know what to make. have to get some new shaft and a bit of 3mm steel for the base plate and then just wait for my new welder tips to arrive!

the plan is to get the frame/armour and the weapon shaft and disk all setup by sunday next week. the rest of it should be a piece of cake.

looking fowards to giving it all a try! Shocked

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

bit of work as i wait for my welder parts to come STILL...

making a lovely new weapon shaft. phailbot has to live without for the time being.. i put some effort into taking my time and doing it right which paid dividends as it came out absolutely perfect and accurate to .02mm

the lathe with my awesome $30 lathe tool set in action. works damn good!

parting it off... the HSS tools that came with the set are less then awesome as it exploded about 20 seconds after i took the pic lol.

taadaa! i also bored out the inside of a shaft collar i had to fit on the shaft. works good.

grinding down the two uprights to be equal. drilled em out to 18mm which is 1mm to small to fit the shaft through. but im going to put some 19mm ID tube through the posts to support the shaft so i drilled them out to 22mm to accommodate that tube which will weld inside.

also made myself a new adaptor for the motor pulley that turned out like junk (the old lathe tools made a right mess of it). now have to make a puller to get the old one off. UGH!

hopefully when the welder tip comes (hoping tommorow...) i can get the frame pretty well bowled over in the day. and serious progress can be made!

p.s. my new camera sucks. Sad

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

For a parting tool, try a hack saw. Andrew showed me that trick ages ago Razz You can even get lazy, mount the hacksaw in the tool and just lean on the end of it to cut Laughing

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:29 pm