www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Team Demon Robots - NSW

Finding my 10 billion threads of worthless go no where robots is annoying. so ill do a Nick and coalesce it into one thread. and find a decent team name Razz

But anyway heres my plan for the next while. to keep me motivated at least. and remember what i need to do amongst the 10 billion other projects

Beetleweight

Getting the brushless motor, lipoly and scorpion soon so i can finish that very soon. should be a few weeks till total completion. should be fun Very Happy

Visceral disk version

So much to do Sad not having welder gas for two weeks has put me way way behind so ive done as much as i can without welder gas. just need to spark it all together and get my ass into gear over the weapon. need to finish the 5 hour lathing job on the shaft. ugh.. hoping to heck itll be done for next event im giving it 110%!!

King Cobra 2

Not as much to do as youd think Smile need to weld in the sidewinder mount and devise some battery mounts. the rest is just setting up the dewalts. which i havent worked out yet. but it has to be perfect and nuclear bomb proof Razz will resort to CNC steel probably.

King Cobra 1

i managed to repair the IMX-1 so its working again. need to fix the battery pack with the balancers and then it can be a club robot + token backup robot for me. still hasnt died Razz gyro seems to be working well again. good good.

Visceral drum

now where getting into some hardcore necrorobophillia. this is my club robot to donate *IF* they are allowed to have weapons, (in true Glen fashion i do first and think later Laughing ). but ill look at repairing the old 5330 motor and put the andrew mods back into it. maybe piece together an old a123 pack or 2400 pack if i have it. at least with the brushless we can set the timing for low so it wont annihilate as often.

Phailbot

phailboat whatever you want to call it Razz RETURNS. after draining that 3cm of water that had filled it up (the welds where water tight after all just like we planned......) i had a brain storm..

i want to fix the two brushless motors then put them back into the robot to drive the enormous blade Cool pair of 2400 packs will keep it running. IBC for control and drive i know not at the current time lmao.

but yeah lightweights are cool. this is my favourite robot of all time. because it was built in 2 days from scratch with crap and worked pretty okay for a first lightweight Razz

Last edited by Glen on Sun May 31, 2009 12:04 am; edited 3 times in total

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Good news! got two motors apart and two armatures are pristine whilst the two cans with magnets seem okay. all the magnets except one are fine,

one is just chipped off where the case has been hit. reduction in power will be the result i would think (as minimal as it may be?) but it should still work. ill smack em back tommorow and test them out.

theres a ton of swarf inside though so ill definitely have to mesh over the holes..

and 3rd good thing is the shafts are just 6mm rod. with no fancy bits so swapping in new shafts should be a piece of piss. so yeah visceral drum has a new motor and failboat has a new motor. just have to see about the third. the pulley is siezed on pretty big. i reckon thatll be a write off.

maybe the 5330 at 24v will spin up the 7kg bar with the right reduction to about 1500rpm. i think it will you know Cool

snap some piccies of them motors tommorow

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Busy day at the bodge works, and still plenty to go tonight

Visceral disk

yay the weapon setup is done. my lathe tools are terrible so the finish took ages to get right and its still not great. but alas thats HSS tooling.

the shaft is like a massive bolt with an m8 hole tapped in either end (may beef it up to m10) that bolts to the robot. theres a step in the bottom that the thrust washer rests on then the flanged bush on top of that. and a spacer i have yet to make on top of the lot to keep it from lifting up.

its surprisingly very very efficient.so it should spin at a pretty insane rpm!

tonights job is to drill and tap the holes in the end of the shafts and drill the mounts for the shaft on the robot. which will be a pain because its the mega strong flexo steel and i havent got any good drill bits. might have to venture to bunnings..

Visceral drum

using phailbots old bushing i cut it up and started making some mounts for it. the bushings are way longer this time so the drum wont just flop out of the robot again Razz

i repaired two of the brushless motors by removing as much crud from them as i could and making a new shaft for one of them. very quick job. they are quite grindy but still work despite the noises Laughing getting the swarf out of the inside is impossible!

heres a pic of the motors. you can see parts of the fractured magnet. hopefully this wont reduce the power so much. but its a club robot and the weapon will spin quite slow anyway.

Phailbot

Plenty of work to do but getting through it.

mainly cutting off the rusty baseplate and the very very very gross welds (what the hell was i smoking when i did this?!)

and cutting out the shaft which was too big for the bearings to fit on. i really should have checked before i welded it in..

but after that was all done the shaft was lathed down to the right size with a shoulder on it (i have to make it lower then it is in the pics) for the bearings to go on - the bar was also dremeled out to fit over the shaft. was a lengthy process as my step bit shit itself about .5mm from finishing the hole.

and it all fits together as such! i need to try get the pulley back of andrew and lathe a reccess in it for the bottom bearing then make a mount for the top bearing and clamp it all together..

as for the motors i think ill use these rusty bosch GPBs any one know a way to clean em without killing them? plenty more power and mass then the old setup. final speed should be around 1500rpm.

drives im thinking 4x drill motors shoved into the ends of the tubes will suffice for drive. and use some 65mm wheels to keep the load down on 12v should be okay to get it chugging around.

next ill start mounting stuff to the baseplate. weapon motors, SSR, ibc and so forth.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:08 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Wow. I have never seen so much rust outside of a scrap bin before. I suppose that saves time.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

lol glens house is a scrap bin

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Visceral drum

mmm k bearing blocks cut out and bolted in. base plate cut down and the drives mounted to it.

still have to lathe the shafts smooth on the drum.. ill save any more progress on this bot till the next build day.

Visceral disk

got the drive motor plates cut out and drilled out. bolted the motors to em and cleaned it all up ready to weld tommorow.

the plan is to get the drive motors all welded in and mounted - and the disk setup totally welded and bolted in by tommorow. its not much to do but has to be precise and strong + drilling some tough steel..

then after that is mounting the weapon motor and testing the weapon! then i can think about the superflous (nay important Razz ) parts to mount.

Phailbot

Completed the shaft and prepped it for welding.

also started to cut out the drill motor mounts. they will fit into the ends of the pipes to fill them up and give it 4wd which should give it decent mobility. got the red wheels too. looks pretty cool Smile

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:06 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I tried using the hose to get filings off some speaker magnets a little while ago. It worked ok. Knowing you, you'll have a high pressure hose of some sort. It should remove a good percentage of swarf.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:32 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I use good quality gaffa tape to remove swarf from the NIB magnets in my mag motors; it mops up every last bit if you are patient enough.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:46 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ahhh tape! excellent idea Cool ill give it a try. cheers!

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:09 am 
maddox

To get rid of swarf on magnets, I just take the CO2 bottle, fix on a hose and nozzle, and there the swarf goes.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hahah the tape worked great Cool

on visceral got the motors mounted and their mounts welded in, the two halves are also mounted together so the frame is complete and the weapon motor is in too. its very solid Cool

all up with the weapon, drive motors and wheels + frame its 9.6kg so that leaves plenty for the electrics and batteries + armour.

i have a pic but it looks horrendous because its rusted already lol. ill have to strip it down and paint it first. but thats for tommorow Smile

and what about that welding gas eh.. $110 a refill Evil or Very Mad

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

use CO2 instead of argon... Only like $35 a refill then Cool

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:53 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

will the welds still come out okay on the tig?

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:56 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

For steel, there should be no difference, argon is mainly used for more reactive metals like aluminium. You might have to increase the gass flow slightly but that is all.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:39 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

argon ionizes much easier than CO2 which basically means its easier to make and sustain the arc, I tried Co2 once for steel and it would only maintain the arc to a distance of like 2-3mm or so. It also sprayed sparks everywhere.

You can get an argon Co2 mix i believe, cheaper but you still get most of the nice arc.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number