www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

What are the best drills you can currently buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

haha that dodgy indian man is still at parklea markets. and his "manager" has grown up too Surprised

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bytraper

You know where the clutch is under the spring with the bearings? Do you use grub screws? or regular screws?? you take the bearings out?

ta!

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:11 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You need to pop out all the ball bearings and screw in some M5 Grubs crews (Bunnings sells them) I'd use at least four.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 pm 
bytraper

Thanks Nick!

These grearboxes arent too bad, looks like the high gear is using plastic but the low gear is using metal...

Motors seem pretty good. Havent run one yet but they look allright.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:19 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Plastic first stage? Shocked The DSE drills used to be all metal gears, get ready for some breakages. I guess the good news is that after you break the first set, you can upgrade the 2nd set to all metal Laughing

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I would choose a Bosch if I was going for a single speed drill. They are a little over $100, but they have more quality and torque than the cheapies.

There are many brands in the professional drills. You don't have to go for American quality. You could always try a German or Japanese quality professional drill.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:57 pm 
seanet1310

the dse single speed is still all metal or atleast it was about a month and a half ago.

the low ones seam to be 2 slow for robot use so unfortunately that means plastic.

I will be interested to see how these dse go.

Philip dont suppose u know a rough current draw of the bosch? im guessing it would be 2 much for an ibc.

Sorry for hijacking your thread so much bytraper.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
Philip dont suppose u know a rough current draw of the bosch? im guessing it would be 2 much for an ibc.
I have not pulled my wife's drill apart to test for stall current. If I mysteriously disappear, you will know that I have wrecked her drill.

I have read that the better quality motors are kinder to speed controllers than the cheaper motors. I don't recall the site that discussed the technical reasons, but I believe the cheap motors caused nasty voltage spikes for the speedo to cope with.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm 
seanet1310

lol probably best u stay away from her drill then.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bytraper

Ive got the 18V DSE one, not the older blue one... Angus mentioned the blue ones were all metal... these higher power ones arent...
For the low gears (the most torquey one) the gear is metal but the rpm is only ~800... the high gear is plastic and you can actually stall the drill pretty easily (1400 rpm)...

I'll probably run it in low speed but up the voltage for a little more speed.
I actually wish i had of gone for the single speeds instead... These are not the best made, thats for sure.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 pm 
seanet1310

a shame i thought the low gears where a lower rpm but 800 isnt bad its faster then the old xu1 i think.
i was thinking 1 reason angus does not distroy motors is because he runs small wheels so i might try that on my next bot. (less reduction so the larger the wheels the worce for the motors i beleve)

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
i was thinking 1 reason angus does not distroy motors is because he runs small wheels so i might try that on my next bot. (less reduction so the larger the wheels the worce for the motors i beleve)

Yep one of the laws of drive trains is to try to gear your motors so that the wheels will spin before the motor stalls. This prevents large currents in the motor, blowing motors and speed controllers.

Also the more expensice motors should have things like compensation windings and the like to make sure that the commutator contacts the brushes at 0V, preventing arcing and those nasty voltage spikes that cause it.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:32 pm 
bytraper

Just as an update to these $40 dse drills, you can easily burn the motor out.. (crap motors) you can physically stop the drill with your hand and watch the smoke Very Happy

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lmao thats no news dude. how many times do you stall your wheels to a stop in a robot Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanet1310

a shame the motors are smoking by stopping by hand (im assuming that is the high speed low torque option but still) thanks for the update.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:59 pm