www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Forum Issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Forum Issues

OK, since I'm new at this forum admin stuff, this is the place to let me know if anything isnt working or needs adjusting or whatever.

Ajax just pointed out that avatar uploads were'nt working, so I've just found and fixed that. simple folder permissions setting. you should all be able to add your avatars now. try and keep them reasonable, or I might turn them off again.. Twisted Evil I hate trying to read forums with blinking flashing animated things all over the place.

anything else. give me a yell.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Oh, there goes my glowiem flashy, explosively color packed thingy idea Very Happy What size are we allowed for our avatar pixel wise? 100 x 100? or the standard 64 x 64?

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:56 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

80 x 80 and 6144bytes is the present standard setting..

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
colin

I have a kind of weird issue, it might just my browser. Any way its not really important so don't spend time on it if your busy.

When I check for new posts, it brings up the little arrow with a yellow page next to it, this lets you get straight to the newest post. The thing is I can only do this for one thread, if I do it for the next one it say 'no new posts' this doesn't occure on other phpbb forums i use, but i have seen it before...somewhere...awhile ago

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:17 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I also have the annoying issue of having to put my password in for EVERY post that i have to make, on the ABBL forums my password was saved and log me in automatically. These forums won't do it, even when i check the little box telling it to.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:57 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by colin:
When I check for new posts, it brings up the little arrow with a yellow page next to it, this lets you get straight to the newest post. The thing is I can only do this for one thread, if I do it for the next one it say 'no new posts' this doesn't occure on other phpbb forums i use

This used to happen to me all the time on ABBL too.. In the end, I turned off the auto-marking of new posts as read, and when I'd read them all, I'd manually click the "mark all posts as read" button.

Also, I would use Opera's "open in new tab-window" feature (just a swish of the mouse in a downwards direction Wink) to open the thread in a seperate window, and when I had read them, I'd close that window and return to the one I left open with the list of new posts in it. much easier, maybe not so much in Internet-Exploder (why is anyone still using that bugware with so many cool new browsers around these days ?).

I'm spending some time surfing around the PHPbb forums to pick up a few tricks, but havent seen anything regarding how to fix that problem at the moment sorry Colin. Again, unless Karmond has any tips for me ?

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:06 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
I also have the annoying issue of having to put my password in for EVERY post that i have to make, on the ABBL forums my password was saved and log me in automatically. These forums won't do it, even when i check the little box telling it to.

This sounds like its something do to do with cookies to me. Are your security settings in your browser set to accept cookies ? Do you have a firewall or other software that blocks cookies that you might have installed before you started using this forum, but after using ABBL (thus allowing its cookie through ?)

Try addding the robowars.org domain to your list of "trusted domains" in your browser, which might help.

anyone else having this problem ?

P.S. BTW, Congratulations on going straight to the top of the "top posters" list, despite only having your account activated yesterday Aaron.. Shocked . 31 posts in less than 24 hours. Wow.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:09 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I try to please Smile Just trying to keep my record of being the highest poster on these forums with out spamming crap or having messages with only 5 words in them.

I don't have any cookie blocking software, but i have worked out the problem. If I don't click on the " RoboWars Australia Forum Index" link, it won't keep asking me, it jsut means i have to go back to the forum section i was in and then go back to the index.

Also, would it have anything to do with me go to these forums through www.abbl.org/index.php because I'm to lazy to go via the robowars.org page?

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:39 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I thought you do spam crap Aaron. Very Happy

I had the password problem to, but I find it goes away after a bit. You just have to let it warm up.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
colin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Also, I would use Opera's "open in new tab-window" feature (just a swish of the mouse in a downwards direction Wink) to open the thread in a seperate window, and when I had read them, I'd close that window and return to the one I left open with the list of new posts in it. much easier, maybe not so much in Internet-Exploder (why is anyone still using that bugware with so many cool new browsers around these days ?).

I already am using opera. I open up all the new posts at once, but after the first one it goes to the 'no new postss, since last visit". anyway like i said its no major problem, and since this is temporary i don't really care.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:14 pm 
Karmond

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
I'm spending some time surfing around the PHPbb forums to pick up a few tricks, but havent seen anything regarding how to fix that problem at the moment sorry Colin. Again, unless Karmond has any tips for me ?
Ha! phpBB is dodgy... Smile If I remake the ABBL site, I'm going vBulletin.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:35 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

for $250 per site, as opposed to PHPbb's free, it would want to be a lot better ! Shocked

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:58 pm 
Karmond

Ah nevermind me... I assumed it was free. Sad

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:10 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I for one would be quite happy to stay here, All I`d ask for is a photo album, but I don`t want to add pressure and more responsibility to Brett.
No offence intended to anyone but what I did suggest at one time was having a more "robottish" sounding name for the website. When Johny Citizen watches Robot Wars or Battle Bots and thinks "I`d like to find that here in OZ, The ABBL (as reported by most) is hard to find. Logically, you`d search for " Robot Wars or Robot combat in Australia" and if you Google "Australian Battle Bots League" your result sugests "Did you mean " Australian Boat Builders League?!" Laughing We realy do want to be found by budding new members and not hide in the links of other sites.

Once again, no offence or disrespect intended to the great work done by Mark and Lachlan on the fine work of our site.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:26 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

a Photo Albulm shouldnt be too hard to add.. that and an online-chat room are the next additions I had planned (probably after Marayong).. I'd like to get a user-editable (possible T-Wiki based) robot profile page up as well. that was a great feature.

The only problem with the Photo Album is that I presently only have 250 meg to store stuff, and the RoboWars site, with all its video and photos accounts for about half that.. so I will either have to host the photos elsewhere and just link to thiem from here (which is possible), or see how much extra its going to cost me to get enough storage to host them here.

Any ideas on how much space the photos were taking up on ABBL Karmond ?

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:26 am