www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Forum Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
mytqik

Brett,

What ever you fiddled with is working fine now.

Thank you.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:17 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Nick: What's with this slow server???

The ISP had a problem with an Upstream provider last night. Been on to them and as you've probably noticed, all is good now. aparently they re-routed somewhere else 'till the upstream guys get it sorted.

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

can i ask small favour,

could you put a delete function on the photos we put up in the public album.. i want to delete some of my older useless photos and put up some new arena ones.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I second that motion! I found that I have posted too many photos and now I can't up load any more. I will happily settle for just having the first 3 months worth of photos automatically deleted.

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:38 am 
Waddy the phoenix

yeah seems good to me even though i have only got about 6 photos Smile

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:00 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, I'm looking into this at present, but havent found a proper solution yet.

The Photo Album is an add-on "hack" to PhpBB so its a little rough around the edges.. I can create an admin/moderator who has permission to go through ALL the photo galleries and delete pics, but I havent found a way to give individuals permission to delete pics from their own gallery but noone elses yet.

I'll keep looking into it, perhaps a later version of the album s/w might do it. but they take time to mesh in with the forum and right now I have to head off to do some work, so I've just increased the number of pics allowed for personal galleries, so that should keep you alive for the moment.. Wink

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:14 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

also you can just use your own personal album...

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:34 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Has anyone noticed that Private Messages are acting up? I have messages stuck in the outbox and no box is over 40% full, so its not a size limit thing.

Sorry to anyone who might be expecting a message from me...

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:40 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

any one wanting pics deleted at the moment just list the pic name and the page its on and ill see what i can do ...

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:02 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Has anyone noticed that Private Messages are acting up? I have messages stuck in the outbox and no box is over 40% full, so its not a size limit thing.

Sorry to anyone who might be expecting a message from me...

Yer myn was doing that when i was sorting out the victors with you.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:17 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hmm, OK, I just had a look around and cant see any obvious way for me to do anything to people's PM's without diving deep into the SQL database tables that drive this thing.. Something I'm not about to tackle at 1am.

I'll leave this window open and have more of a look tomorrow for you guys.. I'm thinking its about time to do some upgrades to the forum anyway.. have some new Chat Boxes and improved Photos and a few things that I want to do next time I can spare a day to wade about in PHP code..

If I havent done anything about this in a few days, give me a prod to remind me..

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:00 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Bloody good work getting the forum back up so quickly.

Who was that prick and what did he do?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm not sure how yet.. but It looks like he gained access to the administration area and made a few simple config changes to stuff up the styles, forum titles etc.

It may have been due to a security bug in the version of phpBB we are running, or it *might* have been an error on my part when I was adjusting permissions to allow posting in the ultimate guides and may have inadvertently given some people more access than they should have had.. I dont think anyone should have got admin level access though, sounds more like a bug..

It might be time to do some software upgrades and things to close a few loopholes if thats what it was.

I'm investigating the logs at the moment, I might be able to find his IP and track him.. he didnt make a post though, so maybe not. I'll see.

<sigh> digital graffiti. if someone thinks they have any sort of hacking skills, why would they use them to do such trivial crap as writing the equivalent of "Bill woz ere" ? Probably just a twit script-kiddie.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:42 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, Sorry for the short "board is unavailable" downtime.. I was updating the code. It looks like it was a bug in phpBB that allowed whoever that was to gain admin rights.

the latest PHPBB version patches have now been installed, which will hopefully keep our stupid pom hacker out..

If anyone notices anything broken after the patch upgrades, please let me know..

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:55 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I've just had a fossick through the forum access logs and confirmed the source and method of our little script kiddie.. If he's watching, then yes, you dummy, everything is recorded and you just left your fingerprints all over the place..

It looks he originated from Birmingham via bt.net (British Telecom) and came from ip address 81.157.50.130 at 4.14am.

I'll be contacting the abuse section of his ISP with a complaint, and hopefully we can at least get a kick in the bum for him from them, and if he's a repeat offender, he might just find his ISP pulling the plug on him.

He was specifically searching for a "Powered by phpBB <ver>" string using Yahoo (the link-from address is recorded), so it looks like he was just on the prowl for any forums that weren't running the latest patches, and probably wasnt one of our regular users.

Hopefully hes been dumb enough to hack several forums with his search results, and will get multiple complaints to his ISP from pissed-off forum admins.. that should prompt them to take some action..

Maybe he wont be force-fed his testicles by them, but he might get his modem taken away for a week by mummy with some luck..

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:19 pm