20%  [ 2 ]
Non-Combat Events (Sumo, Race, Offroad)
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I think you would be better off alternating full on comps with build days. A chance to test robots without running them to death. Also allows new guys to stick there heads into robots without all the rush of a comp.
Maybe also encourage people to bring in other projects they are working on. There are many more forms of robotic sports than just combat. Maybe try a little line following comp or solar racing? That sort of thing is cheap, quick to build and doesn't need a major rebuild every 6 weeks.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Whoa I must have missed that point in the conversation. I remember you saying there wasn't enough time between rounds. And I said that it could be rectified ad hoc to allow more like 6 weeks between rounds.

Only 3-4 rounds a year doesn't sound that appealling to me. I dont think more time is the solution to bolster numbers. I think the build days focus would. I can remember some of worst turned out events being the 1st round of the season when there's been 3 months off. So extra time doesnt always equal more people.

A little bit more time between events can be arranged, but why sacrifice the number of rounds?

So who wants to come next weekend for the build day? Not that we need to know numbers, just curious as to who is interested.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I would like to, but will sadly need a pickup from Blacktown. Sad
I'm learnding to drive still.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:49 pm 
andrew

if u need a ride let me know and picking u up wont be a problem at all or if u can get to marayong station or something like that same deal there angus

ill have the robot from last event there again, wont have a weopon working as ill be fixing it up proper and wont have anywhere near enough time to do it in a week so will purely be drive only but as people last week saw driving it is alot of fun too especially upside down and doing backflips while running full speed into walls Razz

As for next event while waiting for parts to come in still for new orbit and all that jazz will get the frame welded saving weight on thread strips, put a sabretooth in there and see how it goes on that and also put one of the brushless outrunner motors i originally planned for new orbit in there to drive the weopon, the weopon drive system from raiden fits in there perfectly basically so will see how that goes, even found a bearing in my junk pile that fits perfect onto the back end shaft of the rotating can to support it so will be full speed ahead after the build day. This will save weight and allow me to have descent armour on back and front and maybe some form of anti spinner setup not to mention make weight in general Smile

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah ill come. will bring the pieces for visceral and new cobra to work on.

have a few more bits for the club robots also Smile

just have to work out where to have it!

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Only 3-4 rounds a year doesn't sound that appealling to me. I don't think more time is the solution to bolster numbers.

I have to agree, if you only want 4 events per year, move to Victoria Razz. There is nothing wrong with skipping and event here or there, we all do it when necessary and we always seem to shift at least one event per year to accommodate everyone's schedules. I vote for build days and/or a different weight class.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:07 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

This is a question for NSWers, so ignore this if you wish.

You could run some non-spinner events so that robots don't require a full rebuild at the end of the day (or after eight seconds). This would allow people who wish to build interesting robots with novel weapons to test them in the arena without being destroyed on their first outing. All of the rest of the events would still include spinners.

As stated above, it comes back to what you, NSWers, want.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am 
andrew

or in the same ballpark as what Phillip is suggesting, maybe we should start a sportsman class like the yanks did.

The robots that are being made for the club practically fall under these rules anyways and would be fun to have a class that i can make cool designs in without always haveing to have a spinner defense to avoid being mauled.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:44 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
You could run some non-spinner events so that robots don't require a full rebuild at the end of the day (or after eight seconds). This would allow people who wish to build interesting robots with novel weapons to test them in the arena without being destroyed on their first outing. All of the rest of the events would still include spinners.

lol its not the spinners that cause a rebuild every few weeks its the crappy robot itself in the first place for me Razz

lets just see how the build days go for now

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Based on the lackluster response to the sportsman class in the US, I don't see a non-spinner class taking off here. We all like the adrenaline rush brought on by the possibility of violent destruction too much to give it up.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I agree there, did have a thought last night though. Perhaps if we made the club robots so they only fought each other? This way we can have a solid steel frame with ablative outlying armour and they could cause "damage" without it being serious. Also means they won't need a total rebuild against any of the more serious bots. I have parts for a vertical spinner saw bot and an axe bot i'll be planning, need some 2ch AM radios though so one guy gets drive and the other gets weapon control. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

perhaps the build day would be better before the event?
more chance of having running bots on event day then.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy We tried the MDF class no response,we tried lightweights no response,a weight between featherweight and lightweight was suggested no response.
I like the idea of soccer and sumo type events but where do they fit into the calender?? Most are struggling with 7 days out of 365
I Know its hard to make a battle all the time,i know that from experience,but in saying that i do have a robot sitting in my garage ready to battle.
We have 9 regular builders and with a bit of help jeff J would make it 10.
10 robots in a round robin would make a great day,10 robots in a 5 team soccer comp would be a great day.10 robots in a "sumo,gladiator" type events would make a great day.
All it takes is 10 robots, what needs to be decided is do we forget the 7 round competition we currently run and have a mixed event yearly calender.

If being the club champion for the year has no appeal to anyone any more then i suggest the latter.
If all we are now doing is building robots just to survive a battle against "uba spinners" i suggest the latter.
If we want to expand robot development then we need to advance to the lightweight format .
Everyone for years has said we need to do what everyone else in the world does, so if you want to build a mega flipper or a crushbot or a mega rambot
and still have weight to protest against the spinners then lightweight is the answer.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Lightweight does open up a whole new set of ideas etc. But I'm not sure that its the only answer.

By the way, who are the 9 regulars? It seems to have dwindled, which is why we're trying to come up with solutions.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:30 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

9 regular builders sounds a lot but here goes . chris,russell,courtney,glen,dylon,angus,nick,andrew,jason,........reserves,jeff.j,jeff.f
and the lads from up the road so not a bad group really + 2 club robots which are on their way so an event with local competitors with 12 to 15 robots is very achievable with the right motivation Wink

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:44 pm