www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

POWER POLE CONNECTORS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

POWER POLE CONNECTORS

Dose anyone know how many amps the 50 power pole connectors can realy take contin and how many in a surge?

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:38 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If you look at either Andersons website
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/pp/pp.html

or the robot marketplace
http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_connectors.html

you will find links to PDF documents that show all the specifications for the anderson range. They're a fairly reputable industry standard connector and I've never heard anyone claim they are over-rated, so I'd suspect they can really handle what they claim for that particular model.. ie 50 amps.

But, I havent actually tried one myself, so no personal guarrantees..

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The powerpole specs seem realistic to me - I have drawn 100 amp pulses thru the 30A modular ones (just before my IBC smoked) and I draw 125A peaks and 65A for 3 minutes thru the 50A multipole variety.

Highly recommended! If you find a good local supplier, please let us know

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:52 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

thanks guys a real help its just that the 175 are pretty big and i have some decent size motors that wall draw some real amps and the 75amp connectors are twice the price for some reason.
As for nick i know a place in ringwood truscotts electronic world that sells the 50amp connectors but i dont know if they can get in any others types and how far do you live from ringwood too ha ha thats all i know of at the moment i think there are a few truscotts places around but i dont know where they are.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:36 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Unless you are building a middleweight or bigger, you really don't need more than he 50A size - a 3 minute match counts as intermittent use and you can safely draw twice the rated current.

I recommend saving the weight and space. I went thru it all when I started out and have spent the last 9 months 'down-sizing' to realistic levels. One good thing about the 50A multipole connectors though, they make great combined power switches and battery connectors @ 15 grams. You can easily attach one half to the chassis and add a handle to the other side.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:27 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I 'm not sure what those power pole conector things are but we only use the ordinary spade type conectors the ones with the yellow insulation is as big a wire size that i have found but we succesfuly pull over 400 amps through them on anhilation on start up and then about 150 to 200 contionious after that on the wheapons motor its a tight fit getting the big wire on them though .

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:34 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

I am currently looking into an Australian, supplier of the Anderson Powerpole connectors.
I hope to recieve there catalog and pricing by Tuesday next week, and I can post my findings..

If it arrives on Wednesday, sorry I will be in Melb and eveyone will need to wait.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:42 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Well I'm back from Melb and I have found that some one has played funny buggers with my mail. Evil or Very Mad

Meaning I don't have the info yet. I have requested the info again and should receive it in the next few days.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:05 am 
JohnMuchow

Re: POWER POLE CONNECTORS

A bit belated with my response, but...

We use the PowerPole PP15/45 housings with the 45-amp contact extensively and have pulled up to 50 amps continuously through them without problems. But (and this is a big one). the wire must be VERY well crimped or crimped and soldered to prevent the housing from melting. We've also had multiple 200-amp surges thru these connectors without problems.

Be sure to keep any solder off the wiping/sliding surfaces of the contacts to prevent localized heating (and melting of the solder) due to the comparatively rough surface of the solder compared to the original silver surface of the contact.

Having beefy wire leads helps to sink away heat from the connector too, at least 12AWG for 40+ amps....a lot larger for long wire runs.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:05 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I just brough5t some deans ultra connectors for $4 a pack anr they are golt plated brass and only the size of a 2 dollar coin each.

Can they realy handle 80amps contin and more in surges?

PIC
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=236

SPECS
http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_connectors.html

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:54 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

They look a little light for 80amps continuous to me.. Robot Combat says good for "up to" 80 amps. That might mean 80 surge.. maybe if the contact patch is very high they might handle it, but I'd guess around 50 amps sustained looks more likely to me.

The equivalent sized (just by looking, not measured) Anderson Powerpole connector is rated for 50amps, and the RC car guys are horrible liars when it comes to specifications, so I'd be careful if you plan on pushing them to 80 sustained.

If you're going to use that sort of plug in a bot, make sure you put a cable tie or something around it so it stays in place when the bot cops a whack, otherwise you are relying on that little spring-leaf tension to keep things together when some nasty spinner momentarily accelerates you at hundreds of G's..

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

i emailed the guy at robotmarket place sales and he sed he has seen them take big surges in exess of a few hundred amps.

And the hobby speed controllers can take ahundred amps or so contin cos off the motors they use in there cars and these are the only big connectors they stock in hobby shops so i dont know if i should use em?

Cos they are soo light weight and cheap.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:02 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
And the hobby speed controllers can take ahundred amps or so contin cos off the motors they use in there cars

I can just about guarrantee you that there is no such thing as a hobby speed controller that can take 100 amps continuous. As I said, they are habitual liars, and find the most creative excuses to artifically inflate their specifications..

If your average Joe wanders into a hobby shop and sees two controllers for sale, and one says 100 amps, and the other says 150 amps, guess which one most will buy ? Thats why the manufacturers get into this "specification racing" game, just like Car Stereo manufacturers used to.. then the Car Stero Competitions changed the rules to class the systems according to Sound Pressure Levels per watts, and suddenly all the top-end gear went the other way and started under-rating their amps and speakers so they could compete in the lower classes. talk about a back-flip.. Rolling Eyes

Dont believe me ? Get out the Fet data sheets, figure out the power dissipation for the fet at 100amps, and tell me where all those watts of heat are going with their tiny little 50cent piece sized heatsinks.. or read up on that link to mosfet ratings I posted in the speed controller thread and you will understand why spec's dont always equal reality.. Laughing

as to whether to use those connectors or not, that depends on what you want to use them for. They're probably good enough for a feathers drive motors as long as they have a securing method.. I think George uses something similair in Pinscher.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:22 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

They have the same maqss as an o connector and they are gold plated as long as they can take about 60 amps contin and wont melt in a short 260max amp surge they will be fine for me.

BTW that 260 amp surge will only be if i stall all 3 motors at the same time.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:28 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Whoa. Where are you going to get 260 amps from ?

A Lead Acid battery will supply that (for a short time), but NiCd's and NimH's wont. and no feather speed controller will handle it. Unless its just your weapon motor through a contactor (big ass relay).

The connector might cope for a few seconds, but I'm betting it will melt pretty quick at anything over 100 amps sustained. They say it has less resistance than an equivalent piece of 12 guage wire. well, 12 gauge wire wont deal with 100 amps for long either.. Laughing

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:34 pm