www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

60% emission reduction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

ah yes, the infamous Steorn.

Speculation has been rife that its all a PR stunt to build global awareness for a brand name that will then start selling toothpaste or just to prove that the directors are gun marketers who can drum up publicity over nothing, or some other sort of similair stupidity.

Unfortunately education just never seems to be able to keep up with the rate at which new gullible idiots are born.

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

free energy for all!

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, thats a nice pile of meaninglessness..

I can tell the image is linked from Steorns website, but WTF is it ?

No doubt its some sort of Mr.Fusion generator, but without an explanation of principles, materials, tolerances and other specs that make such a drawing useful, its just another blueprint for the gullible free energy fans.

I'll bet theres a bunch of hopeful home machinists already milling up the parts

who will no doubt be later be told "oh, your model didnt work ? no wonder, you used un-atomically-polarised poly-tetra-fluro-ethylene flange gaskets ! We found that they disturb the orgone energy flows into sub-optimal quasi-crystalline matrix structures. You need to buy our certified resonance enhancing gaskets and the approved helical DNA-spiral-threaded screws or it'll never work".

Sceptical ? Me ? I wonder why.

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:47 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
You need to buy our certified resonance enhancing gaskets and the approved helical DNA-spiral-threaded screws or it'll never work".

but we can't sell them to the public because the oil companies have spies everywhere!

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Pfft, I'll swing down to the local shop for a TARDIS before I buy one of those Razz

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:57 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm building a improved Flux Capacitor for a bit of a project at the moment if anyone feels like fiddling about with some parallel time streams. Smile

The only problem is, I haven't figured out how will I know if its really working or not.

If I actually manage to alter the N-space collapsed higher dimensional quantum space/time signatures with a capacitively discharged focussed energy flux, then the possible corresponding reality shift will ensure that the new parameters will immediately be logically self-consistent (no gradually erasing photos are probable) or else they would undergo spontaneous credibility failure and thus cease to exist except as a figment of a deranged imagination.

I have this idea that involves a box and my cat that might work Wink

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:16 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Uncertainty killed Heisenberg's cat.

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

That wont bother my cat. He is a master of uncertainty.

You should see him standing in the doorway in the morning taking half an hour to decide whether to go out or not Smile

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:49 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Something that breaks The Law of Conservation of Energy. No one would believe such nonsense. Except for The Big Bang of course.

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:41 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

An Interesting point I read once to consider (that I think I may have made before briefly).

Take 3 x 1 Kg Bricks of different materials and ask 3 "scientists" from different times of history to order them according to the energy that they contain.

Brick 1 is 1 Kg of Red-Hot Iron
Brick 2 is 1 Kg of Room Temperature Uranium 235
Brick 3 is 1 Kg of Frozen Hydrogen (Deuterium)

Scientist 1 is from ~1900, He will likely list them (in decreasing order) 1,2,3
He can only see the "Thermal" energy contained within the bricks. Red Hot is more energetic than room temperature, and frozen is the most energy devoid state

Scientist 2 is from ~1950. He will likely list them in the order 2,1,3.
In this time, He can now "see" (or is aware of) the energy that can be released by the correct arrangement of the U235, so places it first, but is probably still unaware of the principles of Fusion, so the frozen hydrogen is still last.

Scientist 3 is sometime from ~1950 to the present. Their order will now be 3,2,1.
Being aware that fusion produces more energy even than fission (even if we cant quite turn the trick ourselves yet), he correctly (according to our present understanding) now places the fusible frozen hydrogen first, the fissionable uranium second and the red-hot iron that was previously thought to be most energetic *last*.

The amount of Thermal energy that the Iron contains is but a drop in the bucket compared to the nuclear energies that can now be "seen" thanks to more advanced knowledge.

Or, for a simplified version of the above.

Grab another scientist from the 1900's and give him two sub-critical half-spheres of Uranium 235. Tell him that all he has to do is slap the two spheres together, and he will release more energy than he could obtain by the burning of thousands of tons of coal, and he will call you a liar.

"Energy cannot be created out of nowhere" he will say. It has to "come from somewhere".. make sure you have a fast car at this point to get away before he demonstrates it and is somewhat surprised in the few nanoseconds he has left to live.

Just 1 or 2 generations, and our conceptions of where energy can "come from" has completely reversed from its prior knowledge.

Considering this, I try not to write off the possibility that there are yet more energy source surprises awaiting our discovery that may seem "impossible" due to limitations in our present understanding.

*However*, Once you've been around the block a few times, it becomes fairly obvious to one, the difference between
1. a "scientist" openly describing a new unexplained phenomenon worthy of further research.
or
2. a shyster being noisy, but cagey about a new phenomenon "worthy of further *investment* (Ie, seeking money) without showing anything reproducible or provable"

Unfortunately Steorn seems to be behaving in a way that puts them firmly in the second category so they would appear to deserve the derision being flung in their direction.

However, thinking about the way history has treated most inventors, perhaps such behaviour is justified.....

It seems that in todays sadly financially-focused world that being the benefactor of mankind is often not sufficient motivation for a scientist to release ideas into the public domain until they are also well and truly patented, copyrighted, trademarked, franchised, licensed, and marketed to ensure maximum $$ return (and hopefully a monopoly) from any world-changing discovery. Particularly if such a discovery has come about from a corporate share-funded company who's focus in purely on profit.

That *could* be the reason for Steorn's present dodgy practices, (But I doubt it)

Look into the history of Vulcanised Rubber (Goodyear/Hancock), The Laser (Townes/Gould), Radio (Tesla/Marconi) and a host of others who invented things that now form world-spanning industries used daily by everybody, yet who died penniless due to legal shennanigans and patent disputes.

If there is presently less than a ton of vulcanised rubber within a kilometer or so of you, I would be surprised, USA alone consumed $6 billion in rubber products per year - yet its inventor, Charles Goodyear, died $200,000 (in 1860 $ !) in debt.

Nearly everything electrical you use is being powered by the polyphase generator and AC power system invented by Tesla, yet he too died well into the red having given away his patents to save the business of a "friend" (Westinghouse - who went on to make billions).

Tesla also clearly invented the fundamental tuning circuits that made Radio possible. However, due to Marconi's (who copied the circuits blatantly) financial connections, Tesla's original patents were strangely overturned about the time Marconi started to make a lot of money.

To add insult to injury, 40 years later (after Tesla had died), when the US government was being sued by the Marconi Co. for using "their" patents for Radios during the war without royalty payments, the Supreme Court suddenly decided that Tesla was actually, after all, the inventor of Radio, and that Marconi's patents were thus invalid so that the government didn't owe Marconi anything.

It seems the financial rewards for innovation in this life are least inclined to go to those who deserve it, but mostly towards those who are willing to fight the dirtiest fight over them.

Charles Goodyear - cheated out of billions - had every right to be a bitter angry old man, but instead penned this inspiring phrase...

"Life," he wrote, "should not be estimated exclusively by the standard of dollars and cents. I am not disposed to complain that I have planted and others have gathered the fruits. A man has cause for regret only when he sows and no one reaps."

Woo, Philosophy morning ! Smile I often think like this when contemplating the history of inventors and their inventions crashing up against the stupid world of money and power.

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:28 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

It is rather ironic that much of the northern hemisphere has been caught in the grip of the coldest weather for twenty years since the end of the Global Warming summit.

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Funny how carbon dioxide has become carbon pollution in political spin. When I went to school, carbon dioxide is a natural part of the atmosphere and is necessary for photosynthesis.

95% of the greenhouse gases is water vapour. Maybe we should ban water.

No no, I don't just want a big tax grab. It's all about the environment.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:21 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi All
Do you think a carbon tax will work better than Abbott's direct action plan? I certainly do. Why wouldn't we want the big emitters to stop polluting our environment?

Miles

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:42 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Do you mean which will work better to stop global warming? Neither.

The Earth warmed between 0.5 and 1 degree last century. This century it has not warmed at any discernible level so far.

I am all for reducing pollution. I put in insulation before it was compulsory. I put in a HSTP before it was compulsory. I buy fuel efficient cars.

But, carbon dioxide is not pollution.

We got a 1 in 100 year flood in Brisbane and they said it was a result of climate change. It happened about 100 years after the last 1 in 100 year flood. Where is the change?

If we implement a big tax in Australia, the same projects will go ahead overseas instead of here. They may even be subject to less rigorous pollution restraint.

Our current government couldn't do something as simple as installing pink bats. Imagine the disaster if they try to change our tax system.

We were heading for an ice age due to pollution back when I was in primary school. We were going to run out of petrol in the 1980s. Neither of those things happened.

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:52 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

So are you a climate change skeptic?

We are continually seeing the highest decade temperature records being set.

It may have only risen a few degrees in a century.But a century isn't a very long time in the scheme of things...... this century has been our industrial revolution...with lots and lots of coal and oil burnt in the name of progress.

So carbon dioxide can act as pollution if the atmosphere is full of it.

Plenty of countries have had a carbon tax for years....their economies are fine. Places like norway and Netherlands.

If the planet warms 2 degrees more..... that will destroy the great barrier reef. $15b Tourism industry jobs down the drain then.

Australia is a rich country. If the rich countries don't make a stand against global warming, why should the poor countries...after all its our emissions that have shagged the planet...developing countries haven't had that luxury.

I agree, the floods might not have had anything to do with climate change. There is no way proving it did or it didnt.

Everyone agrees with the bat scheme was a failure. But everyone forgets that labour got Australia through the gfc without a recession when every other developed country did. suffer one.

Howard was responsible for an even bigger tax grab on every item....the gst....we survived.

The carbon tax will become an emission trading scheme before to long. Thats the one the liberals were about to sign up for before Abbott beat Turnbull by 1 vote as leader. Remember thats when the climate change sceptics of the Liberal party (Minchin) through a spanner in the works.

"Climate change is crap"....Tony Abbott

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:38 pm