www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Electrical help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

looks like 40PSI is all they need to get to spray mode.
paintball tank and one of those crappy compressors at the track would get that for you pretty easily.

Only question is if you want a regulator on the output or just to run blowdown.
(downside to blowdown is it'll vary as you run)

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

mmk question about the scorpion HX if anyone could shed some electrical insight.

Worked perfect all last event and worked perfect a couple of weeks ago when i tested it also.

Now when i try using it both the output LED's illuminate as they should but one of the outputs refuses to drive anything (tried a handful of working motors on it).

With no load on the output it reads fine on the multimeter (+12v -12v same as the working output). But with a load it only reads +- 1v or so and i can hear the motor screeching ever so slightly.

Not sure how the HX works but i think its basically identical to the XXL. it has two of those 5 legged h bridge chips on the bottom.

Any clues? thinking its just the crappy terminal blocks broken off a little inside so im off to check that now. But if anyone has any further ideas that'd be well appreciated. itching to get the robot chugging around Cool

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds like a faulty current limit.
I see it on full size scorpion XXL's as well when one of the fets has blown but the other is ok.

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm not the terminal strip, so sounds like one of the chips is crapped out? got any spares? Razz

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

If you can fix glens pls fix mine too Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lols probably just buy the chip and solder it on mehself Smile

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You might be in luck - I was going thru my spare parts box and found a near-new and working Scorpion HX; I can bring it over next weekend or you can pick it up sooner.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I have a mate who has a problem with a gearbox conversion, the gearbox he has just put into the car has a speed sensor that outputs double the amounts of pulses per rev. He asked me if I knew of any electrical methods of fixing this cheaply.

Google found me some links to frequency divider circuits using D-Type Flip Flops . I've never built or worked with these ccomponents, so looking for a little advice. I found the CD4013B Dual D Flip-Flop on the Jaycar website for $0.95. If I wire it up like so:

It should function as a /2 counter?

Any advice towards this?

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Watch for power conditioning, automotive stuff has stupid transients -30 to +60v spikes aren't unheard of. I like something like a 10 ohm resistor followed by a diode, a zener of around 16-18 volts then a decent cap.
What environment is it going in, if its engine bay look for automotive grade chips and try to stay away from electrolytic caps.
put something like a .1uf ceramic cap on the power legs of the IC

Can you scope the input and see if your getting nice square waves? if its a bit wobbly you could run into issues where a bit more noise on the line will make the IC run several counts, like the need to debounce a switch input. if you are getting a sine wave type input you may want a comparator buffer type input with hysteresis.

Also wire up the other inputs on that chip to something, leaving them floating can cause bad things.

CMOS is rather more static sensitive than TTL so watch for that, also its current output is lower so keep that in mind.

Is your ECU looking for pulse inputs? because that circuit is going to basically be putting out a 50% duty cycle square wave,
when pulse 1 comes in it'll go high, and stay high until pulse 2 comes in.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:59 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Shorter answer.... Yes that will divide by 2

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm 
andrew

hey all, need help.

Trying to set up dx6 for mixing as im using banebots controllers which r single channel units and it just isnt working how i want

I foolishly tried setting up a different thing called programmable mixing and then read the delta wing mixing is perfect.

No matter what i do tho ill have left and right mixing working or forward and back mixing working but not the whole shebang of forward/backwards and left and right

i think i may still have something else activated that i shouldnt which is conflicting so im going to charge a second dx6 i havnt messed with and do delta wing and see what happens

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm