www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Electrical help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

The governor function basically keeps the motor at a certain speed, it's a bit like cruise control, if it slows down too much, the controller cranks some more power in until it comes back to the pre-set speed.

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm so on a spinner say if you have it running at 70% power and it takes a hit and slows down to a few hundred RPM, itll apply full power till its at 70% speed again?

might as well leave it on Cool

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yep, exactly how it functions. I believe it's used on RC planes to be able to maintain a certain speed while performing manoeuvres, instead of having to manually adjust the the throttle when you go vert or go into a dive. The heli guys might use it too, NFI Razz

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 pm 
cerberus3112

Im pretty sure this has been answered but i couldnt find the answer.
I want to use a pc power supply as a 12 volt power supply.The question is in order to do this do you just use the power of a molex cable.? Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 am 
WiperMotor

What yall want to do is short pin 14 (usually Green wire) and ground together (pin 13) and whalla! Very Happy

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 pm 
cerberus3112

yey "another" question ive been reading this http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/speed-control/ about the h bridge section is it posible to wire up a h bridge using only 2 mosfets per side as 2 mosfets to make the bridge and not 4 ( forward, backward and stop)?

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

An "H" without two of its legs is an "n" or a "u".. Can you make an H without the upper or lower legs ?

No

Mosfets only conduct in one direction (normally), so you need 4. Also, having two mosfets on the same side of the motor (high and low side) requires some clever drive circuitry to avoid "shoot through".

If you're trying to do Speed Control on the cheap, what you do is use a relay to reverse the motor connections and a single mosfet on the low (ground) side to PWM the power.

Look at the UK - Electronise controllers, or the Pulse-50 prototype (not battle tested) design for examples

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have seen it done before with two power supplies (batteries). One set of batteries for forward and the other for reverse. Only really useful if you want a limited reverse.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

anybody know if using these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Electronic-Speed-controller-100A-ESC-For-BrushlessMotor_W0QQitemZ180266797558QQihZ008QQcategoryZ34056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
would be any good??
I have $100-200 and 4 mosfets ( rated to do what i need them to) to make a (rough/cheap)speed control so any suggestions would be apprectiated Very Happy

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:48 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Nupe, brushless... would have tiny surface mount fets and be pretty much useless for standard motors... Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:20 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

If you have a couple of spare servo's i could send you diagrames of a simple controler to use the srevos to drive your fetts and use two car relays for reverse this is only good for 12 volts unles you add a couple of more components like a 12 volt regulator to drive the relays and a 5 volt one to run the servo circutes then you can go higher voltages up to the limit of your fetts -- the servo boards normaly power from the radio reciever battery but iff you are driving more than one fett per board you will need extra power from a regulator and then disconet the power from the radio reciever you also need an after market fail safe for any wheapons you use.
The servo boards will basicly stop working if they dont recieve a radio signal or lose power and fail safe them selves but some times can tun on and off for half a second or so if the radio gets a stray signal normaly this just results in the motor twitching a bit but most times just the relays clicking on and off but could be unsafe if used for a wheapon motor .

You will need for two controlers (one for each drive motor)
--
-- two servos that are working to pull the circute boards out of
--- two resistors to replace the servo pots
--two or 4 fetts ( either one or two per controler ( depends on how much current you want to handle -- 30 amp car relays will handle up to 60 amps ok if set up properly and are switched on before sending the pwm accros them and switched off after power stops flowing across them)
-- two x resistors for each fett used (one for charging the gate and one to dump )
---4x 30 amp relays
--- 4 x small capacitors to go across the relay points to stop arcing
-- two x 12 volt regulators
-- two x5 volt regulators
--- 10 x1amp diodes
---4 x transistors that will handle the relay current ( or old drill fettt's work fine)
---and a lot of free time to put them all together

Cheers
-- small capacitors and resistors for the regulators( some regulators come with them )

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 am 
cerberus3112

Ahh that sounds useful and fun to play with can you please send me those diagrams you mentioned i know what your talking about but i want to make sure the way you mean to assemble it is the same as the idea i've got. Very Happy

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:10 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Ok give me a week or so as im bussy at the moment and i will have to plug in a few of my old hard drives to find the files not sure which one they are on now

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm 
cerberus3112

no problems ill wait and think about it for a while.

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:19 pm 
cerberus3112

ive decieded that ill buy a speed controller and just build one on the side as something to play with.
What controllers do people recommend for bout the $300-400 price range needs 50+ amps

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:37 pm