www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

King Pinscher - Nexus - Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

The return of the King

Possibly just for the Maestro to commit regicide.
Firstly a lesson in safety, yesterday using angle grinder a spec of metal got in my eye and after an uncomfortable night sleep just had it removed and have this cool eyepatch to wear for two hours. arrrrrrrr yer varmint.

Another day and KingPin should be ready. Whats new, well biggest thing is its officially 4wd, very exciting.
Had it hooning a round in the back yard before with the dog chasing it, had to be careful not to take it out. lol

It goes in straight lines now and is a heck of a lot more controllable so should be a blast to fight it again.
Also new wiring, repositioning of the aerial, C size batteries with an extra 2 cells from last year.
Have to watch its voltage off the charger so I dont blow the Scorpion which now controls the jaws and has a n invert channel.

Have to check the actuators as they are getting loose from the impacts it recieved last year. So far have just worked on the drive components so after a check of the weapon will add some side armour.
Always laugh when I watch the first fight it had with Loki when it smashed what I thought was polycarb but was just crap plastic, Doh.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:26 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Just when I thought I was content with KingPin, Hot pants Glen Very Happy reminds me that its got a 6kg weapon.

Kept me up late thinking about it so I dismantled the weapon assembly last nite and hit it with a texta trying to work out where I can remove metal.
So after a couple of hours in the shed today, (decided not to work in the kitchen any more) have removed lots of metal.

It has about 60 x 12mm holes in it and some larger pieces grinded away.
Best part is it now sports 24 triangular teeth about an inch long so it will grip alot better and can do some serious damage to flesh. (here kitty kitty).

Looks very skeletal, hence it was almost called skeletor at one point but decided not to use that name but Gary seemed to like it Very Happy
Anyways will put it pack together tommorow hopefully the heatshrink will be in by then and get it ready.
Just have to add a little red light somewhere and some ocky straps to keep it all tight as its gotten a bit loose from last years impacts.

Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:35 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Thought it was piccy time as its had some mods done.

Nu teeth thamks to a comment Glen made and a pic showing the chain layout I will be trying out, so far it seems like it will work but still not sure about the extra juice it will need. Have had issues with the IMX resetting on this setup but with a sep receiver pack it seems ok but will test properly tomoro.
One pic shows the sprocket on the front wheel that has had some holes drilled out for cooling purposes (yeah right).

THeres a lot of holes drilled out underneath which are not visible in the pics as well.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1109

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:57 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Reckon those teeth are sharp enough to get a grip on Maestro? Looking very cool George, obviously Maestro’s new paint job isn’t going to last long.
Very Happy

Sorry about stealing the Skeletor name, I thought Wolfensein was your other choice for King Pinscher Embarassed

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:30 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Teeth are hopefully more for grabbing wheels and yes sctaching paint, lol.
IT was a bit like grandmas gums b4, at least now it will leave a love bite.
Your memory must be fading Gary Very Happy you had asked about using the name and it was OK so not accusing u of anything.

Still need some side armour, biggest concern at this point is a sideways thwack into the motor so nothing like some adrenalin b4 a match.
Just hope it lasts 3 full minutes with lots of smashing into the walls, Maestro doesnt look like it can be stopped so should be a blast in many ways.

Out of curiosity are all the lightweight running air filled tyres?

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:46 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

No word from Net Bot, It uses solid scooter wheels so yes. I think so.

I have some foam in case of punctures. Smile

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:03 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Not really much to report unfortunately as I have been plauged with infections it seems. Weeks ago a piece of metal flew into my eye from an angle grinder which got infected and slowed down production.
A couple of weeks before that had an infected wisdom tooth out and guess what I have know. A effin painful ear infection phuck.
Cant even hear anything out of my right side as its so swollen and havent been able to sleep for days from da pain so havent been doing a great deal of robot stuff.
Luckily most things are almost done. Will probably have to make a couple of battery packs up tonite if can so I can cycle them a couple of times.

KIng Pinscher unfortunately will not be on standby as it will share an ESC with Pinscher so will need a few more minutes to prep it up than I thought.

Pinschers sort of ready I guess, hasnt had much work on it since its last tango with Scoopy. The IBC playing up has been its biggest concern as I have to make up some packs to suit the damaged unit. Was hoping not to have to resolder my packs again as its killing them. lol.

Pod will be ready for a demo of sorts, wont be completely finished, might have to gaffa its batteries to the outside depending on how things go and what speed controller will use for it. Would like to overvolt it abit for fun but will just take everything as it comes and deal with it as it happens.

Good luck everyone

Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:50 am 
assassin

Question: Where did you get your small sprockets from and how did you mount them(the ones on the scooter motors)? Are they mounted with a grub screw/bolt from the side?

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:54 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

They come pre-mounted on the Scooter motor and they are locked to the shaft via a D-shaft and a nut

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:25 pm 
assassin

The sprocket used on this bot is larger than the original

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:25 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, the original chain that comes with scooters is quarter inch and as I could not find a small enough sprocket for the wheels to match I went up to 3/8 inch.
The sprocket on the motors is a nine tooth, smallest I could find but fortunately it fit straight on the output shaft of the scooter motor.
Cut off half of the output shaft from the motor then drilled a hole about a third of the diameter into it, then drilled and tapped a thread for a grub screw into the sprocket.
Wanted the chain to be really close to the motor and not have any shaft protruding.
Grub screws generally suck but if it has a hole in the shaft to help pin it then it gives some tolerance if it starts becoming loose.

A few valuable lessons where learnt from Robowars that will be applied to this robot.
Firstly having removed some steel from the jaws prior to event it had weakened it to the point of having one of the bottom jaws bend and twist on big impacts.

On the Friday at tests it had some big collsions into the walls that had bent the jaws a fair bit and had to pry them back later on. The impacts where pretty severe but, to give u an idea the arena wall was pushed out and it had opened up a big gap in the floor between the floor panels. Jaws will need some rewelding to put some strength back in but have a few new ideas that am looking forward to applying.

Examined the robot to establish why the chain broke in the first 20 odd seconds, it was pretty obvious from the slashed tire, which if you followed the cut line it had a matching cut mark on the sprocket and the sprocket was bent in slighlty at the same point.

Watching the video just confirmed what everything was suggesting anyway and that was that the first impact where Kinpin knocked Kang into the wall it had brought Kangs saw up into the sprocket and the rest is history. Pity as it was looking like it was going to be a lot of fun but as they say, Schit happens so not upset by it or having a go at anyone but just reminding people that there are no spinners/saws allowed in the Lightweight class.

There seems to be a trend torwards exposed air filled wheels so far in this class so please try to remember rules people. Unfortunately it took my robot out of any further competition but the bright side is that I got to see how it performs with only one side working and apart from the fact it was squelling like a pig I was generally happy with it. Very Happy

Was also happy with the ole Spinning CDs on the wheels trick.

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:32 am 
assassin

Thanx for the info, still just wondering where you sourced the sprocket?

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Sprockets and chain where from a local bearings supplier in Vic, BJ Bearings was their name but can be bought from lots of bearings shops.
Sprockets where about 8 or 9 dollars but the chain is a little pricy as you have to buy it in ten foot lengths. Mine cost 55 dollars but can probably be found cheaper.
Cant remember what the large sprocket cost, about 12 dollars I think.
Chain is also refferd to as a No 35. THinks thats an ANSI number whatever that means, Scooter chains are a number 25.

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:33 am 
assassin

Your info has been very helpful. Another question: Your wheel axels, what size and type of steel did you use? And how did you mount them to the wheels? It looks like you welded them on and allso added some small triangle support pieces for added strength. Is that right?

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:52 pm 
assassin

I just went back though your posts again and it looks like you welded the axels to the sprockets? I have the same 6inch wheels (you can get them from supercheap), can you recomend a way to mount/fix a live axel to them?

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:23 pm