www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

RoboGames 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Oh, and there were three battery fires today. 2 in the pits (relic, which burst into flames about 6 feet in the air, and Storm 2 which just sort of smoked a battery while plugging it in just outside the arena before a fight) and one in the arena (I forget the name, but it was another crazy 30lb bar spinner).

the last part sounds a bit ominous Embarassed

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Day two featherweight highlights:

The top two moments were Billy Moon having a Lipo fire inside Relic while it was charging (1.5m high fireball Shocked ) and Robert Woodhead having a NiMH fire in the arena at the end of a hard fought battle against Proteus. Robert didn't get flames, but the pack and most of the electronics above it were toasted and he lost the fight after being WAY head on points.

Somehow, Billy has already repaired Relic, so I may still have to fight it Sad

The next best moment was Plasma getting a huge hit from Relic, which spun Relic around so that it caught one of its own wheel pods, ripping it right off - Billy really didn't have a good day!

My matches started out with Proteus, which swapped the drum for a very shallow scoop made of 5mm stainless steel. I set the blade to scrape the arena and got in some great hits that peeled the scoop and cut deep into the wedge. The left motor flamed and cut out again but a final hit disabled Proteus and it tapped out. I am down to two good motor/gearbox combos.

The next match was against Kluge. I raised the blade up to it's drum axle and even though I had radio problems (as in I forget to program it properly Rolling Eyes ), a couple of hits popped out its receiver power and I won by KO in about 20 seconds Very Happy.

Its getting up to the medal rounds and things are getting even harder! The next match is against Mitch, which is part of Hardcore Robotics (of Last Rites fame). Mitch is a 4 wheel wedge bot with 3/4" thick aluminium sides, a UMHW rear and a very shallow, very heavy steel wedge. It is held on with rubber shock mounts and if I can hit it from the side, I can probably rip it off. The bad news is that the Hardcore guys are excellent drivers and totally out manouvered vetran Steve Felk's Plasma.

If I win that, I am at the top of the winner's bracket and virtually assured of medal and will go on to fight whomever gets thru the looser's bracket. the contenders are: Plasma, Damien, Relic (assuming it actually works), Proteus, the Bully and Touro Feather. If I lose to Mitch, I can still fight back into silver or bronze medals fairly easily.

I am most worried about Plasma; it has 1/4" thick Ti armour around a strong aluminium body - Relic hardly scratched the paint! It has a well recessed drum and a 40mm high gap at the back which I can attack to get its wheels and ali body. What do people think; raise the blade to get the (very strong) drum, or keep the blade low to attack both the drum and the rear?

One last development; it seems I bent the 3/4 thick Ti weapon axle! Shocked It was causing big problems in the morning so I am now using TO's axle and the difference is amazing; no wobble and I can get the wepon to within a few mm of the floor. Huge thanks to Robert for that! [/b]

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:24 pm 
andrew

YEAH BUDDDDDYYYY,

Thats so good to hear man, proteus and kluge are some tough drum spinners.

I hope the rest goes well for you, give em hell and show em what us Aussies are made of (and tech em how to say the word aussie while your over there).

SO pumped for u man, cant wait until some videos

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:43 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Robert woodhead has some great videos and brilliant highspeed shots - will take some time to edit them all....

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sweeeet!!

good to hear things are going so well Very Happy id say for plasma to set the bar low, if its too high the drum will probably catch it and throw you up instead of just away.

and scissor hands will take out some wheels well. Cool

bring home some gold!

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/docs/docDownload.aspx?guid=F2968E74-C28C-4C31-9C41-604AAA89BAE9&webtag=THERFL
You already have the bronze medal. But from your description it sounds like they haven't done much of the losers bracket so you'll get a long break tomorrow.

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:44 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah from the look of their tree you have already secured 3rd and possibly 1st or second if you win the next match. Well done.

You should actually have two shots to making it into the final. The next match versus Mitch and failing that the match versus the loser's bracket winner.

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks guys, Scissorhands is actually running better than at the start of the event, the only worry is that I am down to just two drive motors. If Relic performs badly (and they have not tested it yet) then there is a very good chance of gold Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
To the best of my knowledge:

30lb:

1st Mitch
2nd Scissor Hands
3rd Plasma

60lb:
1st K2
2nd Brown Note
3rd Death By Monkeys

120lb:
1st Professor Chaos
2nd Touro
3rd Canadian wedge (don't know the name)

220lb:
1st Original Sin
2nd Last Rites
3rd Sewer Snake

340lb:
1st Ziggy
2nd Gerald
3rd Kodiak

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

woooo! for nick, and if i beat scissor hands does that mean i would have won robogames Laughing (hahah jokes jokes)

congratulations, good to see a more or less new robot do so well especially with so little time to prepare it. Cool

well done!

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm 
andrew

WOW,
congrats to Nick for second place, well done, cant wait until some videos are uploaded

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Congrats Nick Smile Can't wait to see the videos !

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

noice

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks guys, Mitch was absolutely unbreakable; I carved some very deep chunks out of the wedge in our first match but the judges just wanted to see a KO. After that match, I found that one of my Victors was missing half its FETs Shocked They hadn't melted, they had been knocked right off the PCB by shock damage! I had only one FET remaining on one side of the H bridge and could still drive, so nobody knew.

In the losers bracket, I got to fight Plasma (who beat Relic) and for once the match went to plan, with a lucky hit taking out one drive motor. I beat on Plasma's drum and shell until Steve Felk tapped out. That match cost a Lipo pack as it started to puff and I didn't want another fireball. The final was double elim against Mitch and I lost the first match after the weapon drive cut out, I think from damaged SSRs - they have to be upgraded! Mitch has some pretty cuts in its body and wedge and I have a shiny silver medal! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Next year, I won't go so easy on them...

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:16 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I have spare 1405's if you need them ;->
so SMT does have some advantages lol

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number