www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Victorian Round Sunday 14th Oct
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Guys, Just to help your planning, we are thinking about moving Battleshed back a few weeks to November 17/18. This gives you more breathing space and we should have 2 or 3 more lightweights ready by then. Please let us know if the date clashes with anything down there.

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:25 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

After some thought and talk, I have decided to stick to the 14th Oct for the event, for a number of reasons I''ll go through later.

I have arranged a canvas roof to be made up for the arena which should be ready by the Friday before, so worst case we will setup the work area inside and use umbrellas between the arena and the shed if it rains.

I have taken some advice and mowed a track in the paddock for an off road race should we chose to have one.

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:36 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Danny,

I'll be down to help on the 13th Oct. I'll throw my little camper on the back of the car so won't need a place to sleep. Mat said he's got something on that day but will see if he can make it.

On the subject of SCHEDULING, I assume we are running the day like a full public event, so a few questions.

-1- Are we happy with 30 mins between rounds of the round robin.

-2- Are we running any other comp that day (lightweights, soccer, race etc) It would be good if I can have an idea before then.

-3- Gary can you send me the link about the Chicago shootout?

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:12 am 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Neweyn
The scheduling of events is something I need to spend more time to learn, but for now 30 mins between rounds of a round robin sounds good.
We will have a few other things like soccer and a light-weight so for now we will just slot in where there are gaps in the day.
Bull-Ant will be going as will spearhead ready for a light weight fight.

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.sportcompact.net.au/pdf/2006-2007_SCGDRSRuleBook1.3.pdf

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:49 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Thank's Gary

I'll setup the spreadsheet system so that it can handle both conventional round robin and chicago shootout.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As far as ending up with more than 2 finalists on equal points the quickest ET in round 3 can translate to quickest TKO, aTKO beats a judge’s decision, a Unanimous judges decision beats a split judges decision.

Not totally fool proof but the chances are probably slim that we will finish up with a situation where too many bots will be identically tied qualifying for the final fight.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:47 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Ok for those who haven't been following. here's a summary of chicago shootout. Gary originally proposed using a chicago shootout format to run the event and at a builders meet at my place we agreed to try it out.

The format works as follows.

-1- you work out the ranking of the present bots via the kero's ranking table.

-2- you then place the bots according to rank into a modified round robin event.
if your bot hasn't fought before you end up in the middle of the table

-3- The rounds for a 6 bot event would look like this (numbers representing your rank)

ROUND 1

1v4
2v5
3v6

ROUND 2

1v5
2v6
3v4

ROUND 3

1v6
2v4
3v5

Round 4
2 highest scoring bots face off

in scoring you get 1 point for a win, half a point for a draw no points for a loss

and if everyone is happy. as per Gary's last post IF we need to declare a winner at the end of the day and we have a situation that 2 bots have the same points then a TKO beats a judge’s decision, a Unanimous judges decision beats a split judges decision.

There's only one question I have for everyone. That's a 6 bot round done but if we only have 5 bots then position 4 is filled by a bye. Does the other bot receive a point for a bye, a half point or what???

If in the case of a 6 bot event were we do fight the 3 rounds then I don't think that you should get a point. However in the case of a 16 bot event there a 8 rounds and we may not get through all 8 meaning that some people get a bye and others don't. What do people think?

Last edited by NMO on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:58 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

For points my brother and I have a system based on what was used at RoboGames this year. Instead of giving 2 for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss, we want to give points out of 60. 30 of the points would come from the judges, 3 three judges with 10 points each. If a robot wins by a judges decision then it will get the total of the points from the judges as it scores from the fight and the loser gets other judges points to make up 30. For example if its a close call the winner might get 16 points and the loser 14 points, if it isn't close then it might be 25 for the winner and 5 for the loser. Ties can be done with 15 points each. The loser gets something because it did manage to survive, but will never be more then the winner.
If the fight ends in a knockout the winner gets all 30 points from the judges plus points depending on the speed of the knockout. If the knockout happened halfway through the fight then the winner gets 30 + 15 points, if it was 1 minute into the fight then it'll get 20 points, if it was in the last 10 seconds they'll only get 1 point + 30 from the judges. The loser will get 0 points. This puts more emphasis on trying to knock the other guy out, which is the whole idea of the sport.
Bye's are easy to deal with. Whoever had a bye in the first round fights whoever had a bye in the scond round. As long as there is an even number of rounds there shouldn't be a problem. If its an odd number of rounds then you only have one bye to worry about, where you give them 30 points, same as a knockout right on the buzzer.
This system actually worked very well at RoboGames and was how they figured out which 8 robots went to the finals out of 9 who won every fight in the hobbyweight class. People who complain wern't there. Even the 9th guy who didn't make it was rather happy, although his mum was rather pissed off from what I hear.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:41 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds like an explosive spinner friendly kind of scoring system. Not sure that i agree that 5 second matches are what the sport is about. Best matches are where one robot can deal out the punishment and the other can take it. Or they both can dish it out and take it. In those cases the match would go on longer, but score poorer.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:54 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The idea is to reward the better robot not reward equally matched robots. Any description of the sport states that the idea is to immobilize your opponent not be evenly matched with him.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As I remember it every run has to have a winner, in a solo or bye run you still have to stage under power.
From the way the top qualifying 3 competitors get the bye in turn it is more of a reward for top qualifying than a system of disadvantaging the top entrees.

Sort of makes sense to me, if a low ranked bot is having a good day he can still win all his fights and go all the way, If someone has to get an easy ride it may as well be the top ranked bots that had the best chance of making the finals anyhow.

Have to work out how a win from a solo pass fits in with the pecking order as far as KO beats judge’s decision etc.
At the drags you would still make a pass, you could just idle down and win the run but if it’s the 3rd round and you need to be in the top 2 fastest et to get to the final round because of a points tie? Hmm.

Possibly ranking a win from a bye lower than a win from an actual fight might be appropriate.

Still pay the 2 points though.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:05 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

what about
1 point for a win
0.5 points for a draw
0.5 points for a bye
0 points loss

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:30 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1145

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

With the Chicago shootout I would just like to clarify that the 3 round robin rounds are there to find the 2 top bots.

They then face of one on one for the final.

The win loose points are just there to decide who are the 2.

The round 3 good better best is just a tiebreaker to narrow down the field to 2 if necessary.

I will do a few hypotheticals and think about the points, we should get tougher and say no draws though, we are all too polite, that Frag IG fights for instance. Smile

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:09 am