www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

Bargain Buys and Interesting Products
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

It's a depressing regression indeed when everything is becoming more globalised and online.

Interested to see how the logistics of it go, its clear in the UK that getting hit with the VAT on imports is a lucky dip. Can't see it being different here considering how glacially paced our customs guys are.

Looks like the libs are trying their hardest to piss off gen Y and above. And doing a good job of it too.

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

When I was hit with fees, it was the courier company that did the government's dirty work. A very long time ago, I bought some bot bits that were over $1k and shipping was by regular post. I had to go to an AusPost assessment centre, wait in a long line and then pay to get my stuff released - it wasted half a day.

Another annoyance is that even if there is a loophole in the GST and import tax laws, we would still probably pay the assessment fee. I found that robot bits could be legally be classified as 'educational toys or parts' to avoid some charges but now I'd still have to pay to avoid paying Rolling Eyes.

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Absolutely. There's a news article that quoted it would cost $45 to collect $20 of gst on a $100 purchase. The gubbmint will have to gouge and double dip to a huge degree to even break even on a scheme like this.

If you thought your assessment fee was hefty then I'm glad i didn't show you the $480 brokerage fee DHL tried to charge us for the robots return Laughing Shocked Funnily enough radioactive medical equipment also falls under educational toys or parts. Makes sense to me!

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

The real reason this is happening is Jerry Harvey (of harvey norman) is spending big $ pushing for it because people are buying stuff off the internet rather than from his shops.
Odds are what'll happen is there will be a big song and dance about it, then abbot will back off and set the bar at about $300 because all the crap in a harvey norman costs more than that.Then abbot can say he is being "fiscally responsible" paying $45 to recover $30 in tax, all the old people in million dollar houses will be happy that these young punks aren't committing "intergenerational theft" because of his "tough new policy against the internet" and vote him in for a second term.

Why no I'm not cynical at all (the bit about harvey norman is true though)

Truthfully though I don't have an issue with them charging GST on intangible services (Google, itunes etc) because that should all be pretty much totally automated and it may slightly help level the playing field and reduce somewhat the double Irish with a Dutch sandwich that some of the larger multi-nationals are using to profit shift.

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I would rather see the base for the GST as wide as possible and some of the extra raised used for social services. It was madness to exempt food. I knew a millionaire who spent more on food each week than my gross wage. Very poor people aren't buying huge amounts of top quality steak and drinking bottled water, but poor people could be helped by the tax raised on these.

The tax raised would have to be higher than the cost of collecting it as stated above. If I have to pay $55 for my next HobbyKing order instead of $50, it really isn't going to hurt me that much. I won't stave for the lack of $5.

All states and territories plus both houses of the federal government would have to agree to change the GST. That would involve both side of politics across the whole country. I don't think they would all do that on a whim.

As the economy changes, tax law needs to change with it. For example, Uber doesn't pay income tax, but the drivers do collect GST. Shifting the tax burden from income to consumption will collect money from these types of multinationals. I think companies like Apple and Google should pay tax in the country where they earn the money rather than setting up an office in a tax haven. People who work for cash also pay GST when they spend their money. It is a fairer way to collect tax.

I don't want to pay any tax, but I do want hospitals and pensions. Either those of us who can't afford a tax haven can pay for it all or everyone can pay their fair share.

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:45 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Is Jerry Harvey Australia's most hated man? The thing is, I doubt he is losing much money to OS sales - how many people really buy a sofa, a big TV or a dishwasher from an OS supplier? One small winner from all of this will be the local Hobbyking supplier. It might also benefit us if he can economically broaden the product range.

Like you said Jake, the government will likely settle on a higher threshold. Back in the early days of internet shopping it was $500, which wouldn't affect us much.

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:24 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

On imports presently its $500 if courier, $1000 if by post.
If they dropped it to $500 for both it'd be a non event pretty much.

I still think it'll wind up between $100 and $300.

What irritates the crap out of me is that a govt elected on a "fiscal responsibility" and the deficit emergency platform scrapped 2 taxes that were earning billions (carbon and mining tax) and replaced one of them with a direct expense (direct action plan) that is now giving billions of $ to some of the richest and most profitable companies in Australia. As a result they have doubled the deficit and that was before the iron ore price tanked.

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Good list of abbott fails there Jake.

Abbott wont do any of this as he doesn't know how to reform anything, he will be to busy running a new carbon tax fear campaign against labor.

Just like he spent $150m with the royal commition against union corruption ….just to discredit labor….purely political.

Agreed, tax reform is needed but doubt its going to happen under this government….if abbott is still running it…that is. Embarassed

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Locking XT60's - badass Razz

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__81603__XT60_Connector_Male_Female_with_Lock_and_Insulating_Cap_5_pairs_.html

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Nice find!

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:11 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Would be nice if they included the anti-spark feature into them as per these.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61690__XT90_S_Anti_Spark_Connector_2pairs_bag_.html

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Battlebots Merch!
http://store.battlebots.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=28

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:51 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Locking XT60 review:

The new locking connectors are a big improvement over the originals - as long as you are prepared to do a little work. The new connectors are 100% compatible with the non-locking version (minus the lock of course) so you can upgrade and still use old connectors in some places IE battery charging leads.

Here are the new and original XT60 connectors. The sockets are very similar apart from the new back cover and locking tab. The plugs have gone a bit strange with the little mounting tabs; they take a 2mm screw and look like they would break easily.

The tab on the plug is the release mechanism and pushes the smaller tab on the socket down to unlock the connector. You need to get a good grip on the connector and squeeze the release with your thumb before the connector will release. This might be a bit difficult in a tight space but is much more convenient than taping the connectors together. I did have a couple of accidental releases during testing; you need to make sure the connector is 100% closed or the lock will not engage.

The new back covers work well. I always covered the back of XT60 connectors with heatshrink tube for insulation and strain relief and that will still work. The covers snap securely in place and are quite difficult to remove. They have ridges for extra grip and definitely helped when pulling the connectors apart. The only disadvantage compared to heatshrink is they they don't don't provide strain relief.

I modded the plugs by cutting off the mounting lugs with flush-cut sidecutters and trimming cuts with a small knife The result is fairly neat and make the new and old connectors the same size.

Verdict:

After modification, the locking connectors are better than the original in almost every way. I would really like to see the new connectors come out in black & blue since I colour coded all my ESC connections. The locking connectors will be extra handy for removable links and I will gradually replace all my original XT60s with these locking ones.

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Nice review Nick! They look good. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:56 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__81319__150rpm_Brushed_Motor_OH35P01_1_35_Rock_Crawler_Kit_AU_Warehouse_.html

are these new ….didn't know hk sold these Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:23 am