www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team RCC featherweights
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Author    Thread
maddox

Team RCC featherweights

From far away Europe, I'll present the Hannibalito's and brothers,

For starters, Hannibalito III, the current successor to the overpowered Hannibalito II.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/Babetheke/Robot%20Wars/H33.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/Babetheke/Robot%20Wars/H3leviteert.jpg

Data.
Weapon power
Ram 51mm bore 75mm stroke.
Buffertank and main storage tank, 12 oz CO2 paintball bottles with On/off valve.
Valve, Burkert 5405, with a 2mm exhaust hole in the bottom of the ram.
Voltage booster and pulse generator to activate the Burkert
Drivetrain
85mm solid UHMPE with soft rubber tread.
4.5/1 single stage gearratio with Speed 700 Turbo C motors
4 A123 cells battery pack.
Customized Scorpion XXL speedo with pull push fan setup.
Armor
3 piece shell, main part 10mm UMHPE, bottom and part of the top plate only 5mm.
The mask is waxed leather with a 5mm titanium rod frame.[/u]

Last edited by maddox on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

Just brilliant, hows the miss-fire jump(perfect)! If this isn't the best featherweight flipper ever built, I don't know what is. All thou, it's not proven yet.

Question: What techniques do you use to weld the UHMW-PE? Also have you thoughts of any major improvements yet, or is it spot on.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:16 pm 
maddox

After the 2 events in the UK, we found out a few things that NEED improvement.

First of all, the Speed 700 BB turbo C's, albeit very strong on paper, don't pan out at all. 12V 120A stall just draw amps, and don't deliver the torque we need. 2 possible solutions.
A 2 stage gearing, 12 to 1 at least,
Or the fitting the old and trusted Speed 900 BB torque.
Both solutions will eat up weight.

Second problem. The armor supports on the back side can't take the landings. 3mm stainless steel buckles on impact. So, we are going to make it like the supports in Hannibalito I. Extend the 15mm surface hardened axles and bolt the armor to those.

Third problem. To avoid the flipper scoop bending, we made that short and rather narrow. But that makes it more difficult to slide below the opponent. A different kind of scoop will be needed. Longer, wider and even more floorshaving than this one.

Forth and mayor problem. During Hemel Heampstead, the flipperarm got caught below the arena sidewall. Trying to flip ourselfs from below that, the 15mm thick top plate of the ram broke in 2. It turned out that the plate I made it from was a cheap kind of ali, that got mixed up in my supply of better ali. Next version will be milled out of a 40mm thick plate of 7075 T7 space grade ali.

A smaller problem, and more to the feel than due real problem is the bottle-collector connection. We tried out paintball push locks and thick walled nylon tubing. It works, but I still feel bad about it.

Problem of these improvements will be weight. Currently Hannibalito III weights in at 11.9 kg.
The change of motors will get 600 grams extra. The stronger top plate will add 200 grams and the new flipperarm won't come in lighter either.

So, the search for 1 kg in this machine will be annoying and difficult.
We're already using the A123 cells, remaking the armor in 5mm thickness will only give us 200 grams at best. And will diminish the capability what we want. Survivability even against spinners.

The easiest way to get some weight back is to remove the telltale mask. What is, in the end 300 grams.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maddox

Next event. Colchester in the UK. A real blast from the past. The Easter Robot Rumble went into its 8 successive year.

Famous people from the days of TV were there, and even a few machines still in the same shape and form since series 7.

Ian Watts , with Bigger Brother, the whole family, and all his funny sideshow machines like the "Chair" and the "trash container", even a fully functional, but deweaponed Dalek.
Alan Gribble with Pussycat (inactive unfortunatly)
Rex Garrot and his lifelong experience.

Just to name a few people.

Hydra, back into action after series 7- after the hidious flying lessons given by Gravity III.Under new managment tough. (Bigger Brother and Tough As Nails were the other series 7 machines)

But for Team RCC it was a bit of a disasterweekend if it came to robots.

The heavyweight Obsidian, after a week of dedicated work, failed to have a weapon, one of the few times I bought a new festo 5/2 valve, it failed. But for the rest, the new armor (15 and 20mm HDPE) came out with only scratches.

Hannibalito I, our most dependable machine, suffered from a broken brass coupling- most likely because the improved flipper geometry kicks back like a mule. To solve that I'm already making a new collector. I'm trying to get that ready for tomorrow.

Hannibalito III performed well enough, unfortunatly we had to apply field chirurgy to fit in the 12oz CO2 bottle from Hannibalito I. This because the other, different shaped HIII bottle was left behind on the table.
Other problem is the self removing removable link.

More pictures and even movies of this event will appear soon on the Bugs website.

Oh well. To get this tread back on track.
The move from the FRA to go for 13.6kg, but including consumables made our work a bit easier to improve Hannibalito III.
But extensive weightloss and the unfortunate fact that the new flipperarm and the mask don't like each other gave us a machine that is 11 kg 900 grams with a full 12 oz bottle.

We did put in the Speed 900 drive. Sleightly bigger wheels and the gearing recessed in those. The mountainbike, deep profiled mud tyre screwed on the thin walled HDPE wheels does a wonderfull job on traction and durability.

The armor support. The use of rubber dampeners between axles and armor do the job very well, flexibility and shock absorbing are major assets.

The scoop. I tried a 3D lay out, mixed 304 stainless and hardox. Still it bends on the corners. Titanium in the future?

The top plate. As indicated, milled from a solid billed high quality ali, it has proven up to the task.

The paintball hose connection is replaced by a steel 8mm pipe and hydraulic couplings. This is satisfactionary.

Next bit, the self removing links.

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:15 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Titanium is softer than steel for a given size, its stronger for the weight though.

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
maddox

That depends on grade.

Grade 1 titanium- pure titanium is the equivalent of mild steel for 2/3ths the weight. Compared to nice alloyed steels, the equivalent of cardboard.
Grade 2 titanium is a little better, but still easely TIG weldable.
Grade 5 titanium; not weldable with good results, but laughs with the better kinds of steel, like Hardox.

I want to use a bolted on blade of grade 5 Ti. so the springyness of the material absords the forces what currently bends the blades.

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Assuming your grade 5 is the same as the US grade 6AL-4V, then it will weld just fine - you just need the right welder with experience. When I had a Ti frame welded, it came out perfectly.

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:30 pm 
maddox

Welding the grade 5 6AL-4V (same as what I call grade 5, titanium alloyed with aluminium and vanadium) will change the properties on the weld and heat affected zone.
Now, these "new" poperties aren't bad at all, but a lot less than the base material.
This goes with the Alfa-Beta transition states.

But , as I never have seen box section Ti, I'll keep with the steel box section, and will -if I want to spend the money- bolt a Ti or spring steel blade to the flipperarm.

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:45 pm 
maddox

This weekend became a flurry of activity.

Hannibalito I's manifold is replaced by a complete new one, that is 200 grams lighter and has more heat exchange surface.

(Picture to be inserted)

The field chirurgy on Hannibalito III's armor is healed, the addition of 15mm thick UHMW-PE over the hole means we can fit in the other type of bottle, if it is really needed.

The last thing left is the flipperscoop.

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm 
leo-rcc

Psst Mario, its RCC, not RRC. Wink

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:00 am 
maddox

Changed Leo

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:29 pm 
maddox

Not really a feather, but here a test vid of the heavyweight Obsidian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGEVZ_gpRo

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:22 am 
leo-rcc

quote:
Originally posted by maddox:
Not really a feather, but here a test vid of the heavyweight Obsidian.

Not really a feather like the Titanic was not really a rowboat. Smile

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm 
maddox

At last we got on with our axe-feather Kashei Besmertniƫ.

Insides. Speed 900 drive, 4.5-1 gearratio to 100mm wheels.
Axe powered by a speed 900 20.25-1 gearratio.
6S 2P A123
Ilyama Scorpion XXL and BR6000

80mm high Hardox 400 belt, 3.2mm thick 10mm Polycarb lid.

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:27 am 
seanet1310

nice any test vids yet?
Also any comment on how an xxl goes with speed 900's ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger