www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

IBC help and code

Author    Thread
andrew12

IBC help and code

Hi everyone,

so the IBC worked exceptionally well and controlled those wind shield wiper motors with amazing precision...yes I did have some doubts....but those are all gone now. So I was tinkering with the IBC and robot and I accidently dropped something on the ibc and shorted a resistor and diode. The resistor value and diode number are not on the schematic...I was wondering what values they are? they are the ones in parallel with the gate of the mosfets. Hopefully, nothing else went on the IBC, but if anyone can tell me those values it'd be great.

oh one more thing I was wondering if someone can email me the source code for the IBC I wanna rewrite the code so that I can have it computer controlled and maybe right a program so it can take in info from sensors and make choices on its own.

Thanks for all the help,

Andrew

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:27 am 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

This should have probably gone into the IBC thread http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44358#44358 , unless Spockie thinks that we should start a new thread since the old one breaks every now and then.

If you read through that thread, page 14, Spockie has written a rough troubleshooting guide that you may want to go through, chances are something else would have blown too.

In regards to the code, I'm fairly sure that it's exactly the same as the OSMC code, which can be found by joining the yahoo group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OSMC/

As a final note, if you don't know exactly what your doing, you may be better off sending it back to Jason or someone else, as it is quite easy to do more damage, I should know . Embarassed

Last edited by Fish_in_a_Barrel on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

it is slightly customised as i recall
mainly in regards to pinout.
the whole thing is one giant bitbashed thing written in a C dev environment and then in assembly (IE the C compiler is called to compile the assembler)
If you want to re-write it your probably best off getting a pin-compatible MCU with way more grunt behind it and trying that. Alternatly do what we did and brain transplant it to something that has hardware PWM. The PWM in the current one is done in software. There are about 8 main loop instructions per interrupt to service the PWM.

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew12

excellent thanks for all the help,
any idea what the value of the diode and resitor are that are in parallel with the gate of the mosfets. I still don't know what they are to replace them and I did notice i blew a hip4081 but that seems to be the extent of it. I need those values so I can replace it and check if it works alright.

Thanks,

Andrew

Ps: And no need to worry about my ability to repair things I have all the nessecary tools to do so and I am able to solder surface mounts with the proper tools.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:34 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the resistor is 150 ohms
dont know about the diode
the OSMC schematic should tell you (somewhere)

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew12

thanks for the resistor values and no the diode value is not on the schematic sheet..that is why I asked for that and the resistor value...ok the speed control works again...thanks for the help

i just got one last question. How hot does ur hip4081 chips get when the IBC is running? Is it hot enough to burn u? and is a hot chip normal? Possible problems?

andrew

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:48 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Did you look at the stuff that came with the IBC or the OSMC. OSMC != IBC.

The HIP's shouln't get hot, possibly a little warm but i don't think i've ever seen it.
It sounds like one of your fets might have blown across its gate and your seeing the hip disipate power through the resistor or something.

Really nothing in there should get hot (except the fets). the voltage regulators might get warm but thats about all. The hips should never really see much in the way of current.

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:40 am 
andrew12

okay now I kinda feel stupid...lol..the hip chip that was put back in was the blown one that is why it was heating up....when i replaced it with the new one...it works perfectly.

thanks again for all the help

Andrew

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:14 am