www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Pinscher - Machine Head - Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yes I will actually as I can already feel all the love that will be directed at Pinscher next event.

he he he

Post Sun May 08, 2005 9:07 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

That’s probably a good idea George.
Mat is nagging me to finish Bender for him I think he is getting a bit tired of just gently rolling bots over. Smile

Post Sun May 08, 2005 9:26 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Opened up the gearbox last nite to see what happened inside.

Wasnt totally correct with the thought that the pinion slipped.

In fact at the Rye event when I did the repair It had not been fitted to the correct spot and thus only half the height of the pinion was making contact with the first stage plastic gears.

End result was it wore out the plastic and I had a bevelled edge on the gears thus causing the slippage. It was getting worse and worse with each match.

Probably stuffed up my motor by resetting the pinion again but er

Post Mon May 16, 2005 1:40 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Got my 4 hti motors today yay!!.

So the pinions have a habet of coming off do they? Not good Confused

Will be fitting myn to xu1 gearboxes to see how they go.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 9:41 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Stripped gearbox ahoy Very Happy

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:57 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Ar Shucks Embarassed Embarassed

Started repairs on the wheels yesterday. The individual pieces of tread stayed on until the fight with IG so this next mod has the tread as a single band of rubber like a retread.

Have used a piece of rubber from a tyre off a mountain bike. It was an impulse as I walked passed my bike and suddenly just removed a tyre and started cutting it up.

Looks very promising with those knobby shapes and should roll with less vibration.
One side is done and will glue on the other today.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:38 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Needing some help from admin on my posts.
Would like to update my first post and clean things up a bit but when I started the post I had not logged in and the threadstarter is stuck on Guest. Which means I cant edit the first post from my end so just asking if anything can be done to correct this. THanxs

Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:44 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Day after event

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=837

New retreads seemed to have improved grip which put some strain on the drive.
Had about 4 fights at Rye and had one of my wheels come off the robot three times.
A loosely placed pin had eventually come loose and extra wheel grip forced it to unscew from the angle grinder,

The third time was in the rumble and also fried a motor at the same time which made a large puff of thick smoke cover the top like a cloud which have to say I enjoyed watching for some reason.
Was actually expecting the other motor to go so time to try different drive setup.

Had the second tusk knocked off and some bending back of the front so some repairs needed
Didnt get time time to adjust the height of the rear skid plate, new treads seemed to have increased the height which made it flounder a bit, should have tested earlier but was a rush.

Have been tinckering with a 30:1 setup to increase its top speed with a different motor.
Am trying out motors from Jaycar that are 600 size but stall at about 57 amps I think.
At 18 volts they become about 100 watt motors with practically the same torque as the HTIs.

Reducing the gear ratio, dropping the output power of the motors and increasing friction on the wheels means theres a chance it might suck but have to wait and see.

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:25 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Have started assembly of the new drives.
Motors have pinion gears attached permanently with epoxy and half of the gearbox assembly is done. Have tried out a few methods of supporting the gearbox and have almost finished these tests.

Have been using blocks of 12mm cutting board as main supports. Used a wood hole saw for the large pinion gear to protrude and then used a dremmel with router to remove a lip for the motors to sit in then hose clamp things together.
This method would work well for battery packs as well.

So far one side works better than the other, gearboxs are tricky and have to make sure its lined up farly accurately as the body of the robot has flexed abit so one side might have to be set on an angle, unless I re jig the main frame.

I had to pull apart 4 x 2 speed gearboxs to give me the parts to make 2 x 1 speed gearboxs. THese new gearboxs are 2 stage all metal with a ratio of about 9:1 then with the reduction of the angle grinder I end up with about 30:1, so about 320rpm at 12volts with the six inch wheels.
Previous version was getting this speed at 19.2 volts and was ending up with half empty battery packs after fights which is a bit useless.

Should be farly tuff but my biggest concern is gearbox coming loose, gears jamming and fryng motors so will do lots of tests to try to not let that happen.
Will post a pic up when have worked out a few things further

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:06 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Did some driving tests today and the new setup seems to work very well.
Gearboxs are held together with cable ties and hose clamps atm but still works ok.
Lots of extra speed and grip but will be a handful to control. The extra grip and lower gear ratio means its not so nimble at low speeds as it needs some juice to go but it does go a lot more than it has before.

First tests where done without the weapon so all the weight was behind the wheels, so was surprised that when slamming it backwards to forwards it lifts up the body off the ground easy.
Fave part of this setup is that I have increased speed and dropped my stall to about 57 amps at 12 volt without losing power. Very happy with these Jaycar motors which are rated to 18 volts so I wont be stressing them and all figures are well within range of IBC.

For the first time I am starting to wonder If a gyro might help steer my robot better. Never took them serious b4 but starting to think thats the answer.

My robot feels like you are driving a screwdriver around with wheels set slightly forward of centred weight. Is it as simple as just putting a gyro on to counter the effects of turning, I dont know, it sort of sounds right. anyone?

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:50 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

A gyro helped Marauder. I used a GWS gyro for about $75.

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:55 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Heres a pic of the gearbox have been working on.
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=908

If I had a lathe would make some proper brackets but dont so have to use cutting board, hose clamps and epoxy in the kitchen.
U can see the epoxy in the pinion gear that has slipped a couple of times on each side so have gouged the motor shaft heaps to try to increase its grip, we shall see if thats enuff.

These gears are wide so lots of surface area. theres also an option of doubling the gears by drilling in more holes for the pins so each stage can have 6 gears on 3mm pins. doubt will do that but.

Its pretty crude how its put together but it works.
Without the angle grinder the ratio is only 9:1.
Will use it as is at next event and decide if these jaycar motors are suitable
so far, so good.

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:56 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

That's pretty cool George! If I'm correct, you've gutted your favourite ryobi drills, epoxed the ring gear into the cutting board, and then put all the parts back inside the ringgear and mounted the motor to the other end of the ringear with another bit of cutting board.

I was looking at doing this for my hobbyweight to get a low 6:1 ratio and to make the gearboxes lighter and smaller Cool Keep up the good work!

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:39 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks, the other pieces used to complete it are the plastic ring gear from the gearbox which is used as a spacer between the motor and the gearbox so they can be squeezed together without pushing on the gears,
and the metal sheath? jacket that came with the motor.
Just slid the metal casing thingy that was on the motor so it overlapps over the gearbox ring gear so when i clamped it it would line up the 2.
Then the cutting board holding the motor is pulled torwards the angle grinder and tightens it all up.
Atm am just using cable ties to hold it together but will use a threaded rod eventually.

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:02 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Got some repairs done today from the damage from the last 2 events which is best put as having its face kicked in and some teeth knocked out, excellent.
Nu teeth are slightly thicker at half inch and made of stainless steel so tuffer than b4.
Noticed on the videos the difference they made when they where on so the canines are here to stay.

Some driving tests where done yesterday with the nu drive and its handling pretty good. During tests the small gear shifted a bit on the shaft inside the angle grinder and just locked the whole side up.
It was because of me mongrel lathe which is an angle grinder clamped in a wooden bench whilst using a drill to hold the shaft I am lathing. Yeah right.
So decided to reset both gears on the shaft with epoxy so best it happend during home testing than fighting.

The most satisfying part of seizing up a drive whilst going for it is that It didnt even blow a 30amp fuse let alone the ibc.
These jaycar motors have fit the bill perfect. High Torque, low current but only 52 watt motors at 12volts.

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:04 pm