www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Huntsman - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, the motors came loose. The bolts holding everything in have come loose, so tomorrow I'm going to Locktite and hot glue everything. Notice a lot more in the slow motion video. Such as the robot leaves the ground when self-righting and the tyres take a lot of punishment.
Still need to make power switches, run the wires through tubing, fix battery mounts, lock the second stage bearings tighter, add more layers to the covers, and a million other things I've found in the testing.
Not chopping board.

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:10 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

UPS = fail. Their very helpful website lead me to beleive they would actually ship my robot. But it turns out they will only ship my robot if I was planning on shipping one every week. Even once I got hold of an ABN I still couldn't get an account. Time to panic again. Now looking at this mob who have a contract with DHL and quoted me $773 for my 80x100x45cm, 110kg box. https://www.ship2anywhere.com.au/

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:19 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Have you tried Pack & Send? They deliver all over the world. I once sent a 40kg VCR to inda through them so they do send big stuff....they have branches everywhere ..theres one at mt gravatt thats sort of near ya!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I use pack send to ship my pocket bikes when i sell/buy em. They do a good job in my experience (about 5 items sent interstate now) Smile

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Pack n Send at Mt Gravatt quoted me $1800. Same as Qantas Freight.
Student excess baggage is now what I'm thinking.

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Oh well you may need to go with Glen's original idea of dressing it up as your def mute child on the plane seat next to ya...ha ha that creates a striking image in my mind.

ps ....had missed those vids, looks great! I don't think I have ever seen a heavy weight robot with a design like that..... love the self right to ...great work!!!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 pm 
evristow

Daniel,

Every time RioBotz travels to Robogames from Brazil, we use excess luggage to ship everything, that included two heavyweights!

What we do is to disassemble the robots into 20~30kg sub-assemblies, and ship them into hard suitcases (Pelicans).

Btw, the robot looks great!

Cheers,
Eduardo

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:16 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, thought about that. According to the Eva Air website:

quote:
Economy Class: Maximum of two pieces of baggage. The total baggage size, measured separately and added together, cannot exceed 273 cm (107 in.) The sum of the three dimensions of each individual piece cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in.) and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 23 kg (50 lb.). per piece.

Which I read as being allowed 3 bags at 23kg, or 69kg of bags per person. But that is probably their chinglish website.
But that is plan B, because I have no idea how to move 100kg of bags by myself once I get off the plane.

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:57 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

fedex gives accounts out easily
probably stupid expensive though

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kato

In the past, carrying stupidly heavy toolcases overseas, I have flown first class and saved money. There is a much greater amount of leeway for baggage weight.

Years since I've been a service engineer though, times have probably changed. I used to carry a tool case full of dangerously pointy things as hand luggage. Shocked

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

half the time if they aren't on the list they are ok
extended multimeter probes sure, nail scissors no those are bad

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

well Brisbane airport security have been know for confiscating 10mm allen keys because they are classed as tools. I remember one guy questioning me about my key ring, which is a foldable screw driver with the screw driver shafts snapped off and technically just a metal weight, and he looked slightly concerned because it used to be a tool, but he let me through when I looked at him like he was an idiot. 8 years ago they tried to take another keyring off me that was an old bullet because I might run around threating to shoot people with it. They treated me like an idiot that time when I asked how could I shoot a bullet without a gun.

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you could threaten to stick it up the butt of a security staff member, the tightness of their clenching could well set of a primer cap

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

One of the biggest problems you might face isn't weight but lithium cells. They lost it when I was coming back from Brisbane, questioned me heaps about the two reasonably made A123 packs and said 'two was the limit' where the hell it says that, I don't know... But specifically they say carry on. Confused

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:58 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Well I have copies of the IATA, Australian, Taiwanese and American documention for carrying batteries. Your allowed 2 batteries between 100 and 160 Wh, and an unlimited amount below 100Wh. That's why I switched to 5 cell, 5000mAh packs for my weapon. 5ah x 18.5v = 92.5Wh. Problem is there is one Australian document which is incorrect and says you can only have 2 batteries of any size and another document which is the same as the rest of the world. I will be printing all the documents and keeping them with my batteries. Luckily for me EVA Air says they use the Taiwanese Airport document which is a bit clearer then the 2 Australian ones. I'm going to give myself 2 hours to get though security and teach the security guys some maths.

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 pm