www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Huntsman - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Huntsman - Hellfire Labs - QLD

I came home today and found on our doorstep a box containing two 36V 500W motors form Oatley. I didn't even know that my brother had ordered them but it turns out that is what he was doing for the 4 days he was back in the country. I've already weighed them and they are 3.88kg each, so I'm thinking he wants a heavy weight.
I know that we are going to build a low pressure flipper. We believe 20 small flips are more effective then one massive launch. I just don't know if he is going to hunt on ebay for pneumatic parts or if he wants to custom build it. We have feather and middleweight sized rams but nothing good enough for a heavyweight. At least we have the valve already. I'll still check into borrowing a chinese machine shop just in case. I'm still interested in custom building some rams for every weight class for the fun of it.
Also better start looking for wear plate.

Last edited by Daniel on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:17 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Hellfire Labs Big Bots - QLD

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
We believe 20 small flips are more effective then one massive launch.
You are definitely right there. Massive flips are fun and spectacular but, in my experience, not the way to win a competition.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:37 pm 
assassin

O YEAH, CUSTOM RAMS!

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:39 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Mark, the engineer that is welding Marauder for me, said that he would build custom rams if anyone was interested. I'll find his number for anyone that is interested in talking to him.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:46 pm 
leo-rcc

Re: Hellfire Labs Big Bots - QLD

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
We believe 20 small flips are more effective then one massive launch.
You are definitely right there. Massive flips are fun and spectacular but, in my experience, not the way to win a competition.

Well we didnt do to bad with 2nd place at XFM. But you need an arena that has the ability for a flipper to throw a robot out.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:38 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats a bit wussy Razz

I thought the idea was you used the gravity-powered impact with the floor to do damage to the other bot ?

If you need a kill-zone to win, that would be like a wedge wanting a drop-zone to win, or a spinner wanting anti-wedge floor speedbumps to win.

If the arena has them, then obviously they benefit robots that can toss the other bot into them, so flippers get an edge and propogate. Hazard-free arenas favour spinners, and ones with horizontal gaps at the edges disadvantage wedges.

Its amazing how quickly the robotic "evolution" adapts to small changes in the environment to gain a competitive edge.. Smile

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

We are more interested in the fast reset time. The time between the flips in more important then the flip itself. We like Hellcat as it can stay under the other guy and not let him have any control. Devastator arn't so good as it takes about 10 seconds to reset and it's very vunruable during that time. Throwing them 2m would be good as long as the flipper resets before they hit the ground and the robot doesn't loose some control due to the effect of the flip.
It is also much easier to build and maintain.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:05 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
I thought the idea was you used the gravity-powered impact with the floor to do damage to the other bot ?
I would expect most robots would not be damaged by a fall from a couple of meters. IMO the best part about flippers is that you can make a spectacular attack and both robots can keep playing all day.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:11 pm 
leo-rcc

Nonsense. You build robot to be the most effective in the area they are supposed to fight. You dont build a robot to play tag, you build to win.

An arena without drop off will only give spinners an advantage, a drop off equalizes that. A pit equalizes it more for pushers. And so on.

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:21 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

No. You should build what you are good at and what you enjoy. We won't build a spinner for an american arena because we arn't very good at building spinners. But we do know how to build flippers, so that is what we are more likely to win with.

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:22 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as to how they like their robot combat. IMO the eight second OOTA is just as boring as the eight second one hit kill spinner. At least with the eight second OOTA the loosing robot can fight in the next round.

We were talking of a flip out zone at HoC. My robot was the only one capable of the flip out at that time. I argued that we should make any opening quite small so that it was a real challenge to get the opposing bot through there. Otherwise, Marauder fights would become boring and predictable.

We also talked about a pit that was at the top of a ramp. IIRC it was Andrew A's idea. That would also make it a real challenge to pit another robot.

Sorry to clutter your thread, Daniel. It might be getting close to the time for Brett's magic wand.

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:35 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Flippers like Stealth and Ballistic now its co2 powered have proved very effective in the Sidetracked arena that has no pit and has vertical walls with no bump rail.
They reliably invert opponent and reload very fast and can get a lot of flips in and get in close to stack opponents against vertical wall.

A kill zone isn’t going to help the launcher exclusively as even drum bots VD’s high speed bricks and most low power flippers etc can force an opponent over a bump rail.

A kill zone will just make the judges job easier and a lot of shorter fights.

I don’t think the very Neutral Sidetracked arena has produced a situation where any particular strategy or design has shown any sign of dominating or even becoming more numerous than any other.

There is obvious cause and effect as the KE spinners hit harder and thin-skinned bots are retired.

The launcher had its day earlier when a few meter drop would kill a lot of bots but now there is barely a pause when the land and if they come down greasy side up they just drive up to the launcher for another ride to get shiny side up again.

Personally I would be giving the launcher the benefit of the Style point in a Robowars situation, as they are real crowd pleasers. {Robowars definition of style}

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:05 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

In the NSW arena, the only robots to chuck out other bots are stealth and visceral (maybe orbit but don't think so!) Over the 30cm or so side rail. It's interesting that till not many people haven't tried to take advantage of this (looking at the registrations for battle shed it looks like some are!)
I agree about launchers being crowd pleaser's and being quite successful, but i couldn't imagine the complexity and risks involved with a heavyweight launcher. I would personally think that Australian heavyweights are so early in their evolution, that you could do what early robot wars competitors did, have just thin polycarb armour, and some of the lesser sturdy designs but real crowd pleaser's. This is part of the reason me and glen are doing a crusher... Very Happy
Anyway that's my two cents, good luck with it whatever path you go down! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:24 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
I would personally think that Australian heavyweights are so early in their evolution, that you could do what early robot wars competitors did, have just thin polycarb armour, and some of the lesser sturdy designs but real crowd pleaser's. This is part of the reason me and glen are doing a crusher... Very Happy

No, this thing will be designed to fight robots like Megabyte as it will be going to America next year. That is why I am looking for wear plate.

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:44 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ah, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish!
Get in contact with bisalloy through their website if you want to go down that path, they're friendly and answer emails unlike many other Australian businesses! It seems to be quite cheap also compared to the price Aaron paid for his hardox.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:03 pm