www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Queensland Arena Design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Queensland Arena Design

We have discussed with almost everyone about the arena that is slowly being organised here in Queensland. My brother is handling the money and procurement side of the process and I have being trying to design the thing. Well this afternoon while I have being bored and lonely while my brother is in America I have finished my idea for the wall sections. I am posting up several drawings of the wall sections for anyone to supply some input into the design.

The drawings are rather rough as I started drawing from scratch a few hours ago. For some reason Inventor doesn't want me to add text into drawings which is why the title blocks have big holes in them. Also the drawings didn't survive being turned into jpg's very well, so if there is something on them that you can't read, just tell me and I'll explain it.

First picture of the assembly without the door and the roof. We still need to design those. The computer says 1463kg for this assembly.

The wall assembly drawing. Total 150.909kg per wall section.

Upper was drawing. 19.878kg for this part.

Middle wall section. 43.085kg

The bottom of the wall. 87.946kg. The barrier weighs 56kg.

I really need ideas for a door. It will need to swing out due to the inner barrier.

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:06 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I don’t really like the edge barrier, a lot of fights are going to end when bots get stuck on them fair enough that’s a legit tactic to stack or throw your opponent out of the arena but I prefer to keep the arena as neutral as possible.

I can see where you’re coming from wonting to protect the precious Pollycarb and ad strength.

Possibly an extra piece of pollycarb sloping out from the horizontal join in the wall sections to the edge of the edge barrier.

I think you are aware of the problems we had on the convex concrete at the piatsa, locking the edges together is a potential problem.

Another thing we only just worked out is we thought we could just assemble the floor panels on the sidetracked arena upside down to extend their life.

Didn’t work they don’t fit for some reason. Sad

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:24 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Looks good,

How would it be if it was built onto something like a car trailer as a base? Would all or most venues have vehicle access to the place where the arena would be used?

Two sides of the arena would need to fold up at around 1.6 m. It would make for a quick set up. I have seen mobile stages set up in this manner.

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:44 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

It looks prety heavy as well i think you could get away with useing lighter materials near the top where there isnt going to be as much stress and mabee the barriers could just be made from 50x20 x3mm steel they are only realy there as bumpers for the poly carb and thiner material would be cheaper to replace .
I have an idea for the door as well but will have to explain it to Aaron to draw it as i cant use cad . it basicly a lock that wil secure the whole side of the door on the opening side .

instead of being held by a latch at one point

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:16 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I could replace the steel barrier with railway sleepers.

I'm also not sure about Philip's trailer. I don't have a drawing of a trailer on my computer, I don't know about road worthyness laws and I think the floor might be too high as it would need to be above the wheels when unfolded.

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:56 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

rail way sleepers would be even heavier the trailer idea sounds ok but like you said it then makes the whole arena at least 500mm or higher off the ground so some sort of stabilizer-feet would be needed to support the overhanging floors and walls .
As long as it all folded back onto the trailer and was with in the weight and size regulations of a trailer getting it registered wouldn't be a problem

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:06 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As far as the door goes I would just start it above the edge barrier.

Would mean stepping over the edge barrier getting in and out but keeps everything strong.

Hope that was a joke about the sleepers; a lot of bots would get stuck under things like that creating disagreements as to who should get un struck etc as well as delays in matches.

More chance of short matches as bots get caught on top of them as well, use up a lot of potential arena floor space as well; guess I just like matches to go the distance.

Sidetracked arena is currently having another length of steel added to the outside of the panels at floor level to stiffen them, your current edge barrier does that, the sleepers wont, they might spread the impact a bit.

The edge barrier could be arranged to be flush with the inner surface and step out outside and a strip of flat steel and perhaps an extra thin layer of thin pollycarb could protect the bottom layer of pollycarb if visibility down really low was a priority.

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:28 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

No Joke. Because the sleepers would go beside the floor, not on top of it. A robot would need to pull them up onto the floor before getting stuck under them. It is the same with the steel barrier.

The barrier is my brother's idea. It is taken from the arena in India. Maybe he'll have new idea's after taking photo's of the Combots arena.

I prefer sandwiching some steel with the poly, but that would leave my polycarb clamps exposed. Maybe I'll try drawing Gary's slopping panels later.

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:40 am 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

From the videos I've seen with sleepers, wedges, axes and spinners can become stuck in them when the hit it at high speed. Also the spinners tend to make a mess of the arena when they hit the sleepers.

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:55 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Just a test upload of the first drawing for the arena.
http://www.freedrive.com/file/714361eaee767dbf3936aacb9de478ac

This should be a pdf of the new lower wall section drawing.

And can the Queensland guys check the logo on the drawing for the QRSC to see if it good enough to use. I made it up in about 10 seconds.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:18 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

It doesn't want to open for me. Do I need to wait a while?

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:11 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I don't know. I'm not sure what is the best way to put pdf's on the internet.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Logo looks nice and simple, and the arena drawing is tops too. When can we build Wink

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:16 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

How did you get it to work, Aaron?

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:30 pm 
assassin

Click on the download link, on that page. Very Happy

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:49 pm