www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Other Radio Control Toys

E-flite Blade CX2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
leo-rcc

E-flite Blade CX2

I got this indoor flyer for my birthday as it was recommended as a good heli for beginners. Has anyone had some experience with this heli?

Post Thu May 17, 2007 10:19 pm 
zx12r

yeh all the counter rotaters are basically the same

just start by flying close to the floor the bigger the room indoors the better as in a small room you get wash off the walls hichs makes the heli a little unstable

once you have the knack you can fly around the instability

just get into it and see how you go

Post Fri May 18, 2007 11:37 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I have a CX1 (same except the non-spektrum control), a great beginners machine IMO.

If you're planning on doing a bit of top-gun stuff, you'll find the limits of the contra-rotating rotors pretty quick, there are some tweak-ups you can get to make them perform better without the rotors eating each other.

But its better if you use this thing to get a taste, hover and gently fly around the place, learn your orientations and so on, far more easily than a single rotor machine and if you feel like going further you can.

Step 2. Get a Simulator ! A nice easy basic one is just $30 (free time limited demo) (plus a cable to your Tx), and it has the Blade CX in it. Here http://rcflightsim.com/cvweb1/main.jsp That will help you avoid crashing your CX as well as give you a range of single rotor choppers to try out and see if you feel like trying to learn to fly a unicycle Wink

Post Fri May 18, 2007 11:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leo-rcc

Thanks for the flightsim page. I will certainly take a look at it. Apart from my flying saucers and a PicooZ micro i never did any RC with stuff that flies. Just boats, cars, tanks, and of course robots.

Indeed I want to try this helicopter thing nice and slow and easy, i wasn't planning on 3D flight in a week. Very Happy

Post Fri May 18, 2007 5:37 pm 
leo-rcc

Would you say the upgrades for the blade CX(2) from http://www.bladecxpro.com is worth it? It says 98% less blade strikes, are they prone to this?

Post Fri May 18, 2007 8:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the Cx2 is mechanically identical to the CX1, and if thats the case, they are definitely prone to blade-clash when flown at high speed (FFF or Fast Forward Flight in Heli Speak), and pulling a few G's in a turn.

If you're gentle and fly around like a real Helicopter would, they're fine, but if you do anything that causes the lower controlled rotor disc to move fast, then the top stabilising rotor disc will get in its way, and you will land with your rotors a centimeter or so shorter.. Wink

Funny thing is, as long as they eat each other about equally and dont go too far out of balance, you can usually keep flying with just a bit of lift-loss until they get really bad. if one side gets broken more than the other side, then they develop the shakes, but you can usually put it down without major carnage.

I've been considering trying some of the CX Pro upgrades for mine, since its a lot more relaxing to fly it than the single rotor T-Rex (which you cant lose concentration for a second on since it can flip so fast), and I keep trying to fly it like the 'rex and clashing the blaldes. But I havent actually tried them yet, so I cant reccomend them personally as doing what they claim.

It has been often suggested the blade cx pro parts are just parts from a copied-and-improved (in some *design* areas, qc is supposed to be worse) model called the dynam vortex. lots of info on RC Groups - search for Blade CX Upgrades.

Good Advice that nearly all Heli newbies ignore (me included), is dont bling your Heli with upgrades until you can fly it *very* well. The more expensive parts you put on it, the more scared you will be to crash it, which will hold you back from learning to fly with confidence cause you dont want to wreck your nice shiny heli.

So I'd probably skip the Cx Pro upgrades until you find that you are clashing the rotors from flying it too hard and fast and you *need* them.

Of course, buying those glittery carbon fibre or anodised parts is half the fun for most people, so many ignore this advice until they have a gleaming gunship they're too scared to fly.. Wink

Post Fri May 18, 2007 10:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leo-rcc

ok. so for normal training and learning to fly where i hopefully wont overdo it the upgrade is not a must have.

Thanks for the info.

Now all I have to do is wait patiently in front of the mailbox till the thing arrives. One of those things i am not good at. Smile

Post Fri May 18, 2007 10:14 pm 
leo-rcc

I am actually so bad at being patient that I bought a E-sky Lama V4 coaxial from a local hobby shop and practiced flying with that one. There is a large hall in my area where once every 2 weeks for 5 euro you can fly indoors.

That Lama V4 was great, it took some getting used to the controls, but within 5 minutes I was flying the thing and was doing actual manouvres in about 10 minutes.

The aileron and Elevator on my V4 are less responsive though than that of a Lama V3 someone else had over there, would any of you know why there would be such a difference? Because besides the canope there should be no difference according to most postings i read about them.

Post Thu May 24, 2007 11:04 pm 
zx12r

maybe it as deliberate by the designers to stop people over flying them and getting blade strikes

just a thought

Post Fri May 25, 2007 3:12 pm 
leo-rcc

From another forum:

quote:
Discussion - eSky Lama V4 cannot FF or fast backward

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want the Lama V4 to do FF, it will give you a big disappointment. Particularly the backward flight, even full stick down, it only move "slowly". Figure out the reason is the ball link was mounted to the nearest hole of the servo arm (the other holes were chopped off in order to fit into the slim line canopy). When you compare to eSky Robins or V3, the FF/backward is totally unacceptable. So, better stay away from V4.

I think this is the key.

Post Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

cut a hole in the canopy, put a bigger servo arm on it.... Your a bot builder, this should be a norm to you Smile

Post Sat May 26, 2007 2:05 am 
leo-rcc

Its not a question of can I do this or not, but the point is I shouldn't have to.

And I dont know about you but i am not in the habit of cutting stuf out of the outside of my robots. Smile

Post Sat May 26, 2007 2:47 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lol. I hack anything. Cars, computers, rc things, even over volted a portable spray pump once to up the ante. It comes from buildin bots Very Happy

Post Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 am 
zx12r

all the v4 will do is teach you stick movements, beyond this it is nothing but a childs toy

once you are confident with it
twister 3d or a trex 450 is the next step

then you can fly hard
when im flying my twister 3d at the stadium, the other pilots tend to land and move to a "safer zone" and with good reason Laughing im not very good and my flying is mostly luck combined with fluke, but it is to some degree forward flight (sometimes sideways) Laughing but im getting better and i do my very best not to crash, i hate having to rebuild Mad

Post Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm 
leo-rcc

To me the confidence issue is an important factor, before I even look at a single rotor chopper I want something small and durable enough to take a couple of crashes and still work. If I where to start with a t-rex I would probably crash it and then shelve it.

Post Mon May 28, 2007 6:06 pm