RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Convert your hyundai Getz to electric with $17500 in lipos

Author    Thread
zx12r

Convert your hyundai Getz to electric with $17500 in lipos

Total cost of conversion after you buy the car $35000 Shocked

http://www.bev.com.au/

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your interest in EV's. By way of an introduction the savings associated with driving an EV include 40% or around $500 per year on servicing because no tune ups or oil changes are needed. In addition, at off-peak electricity rates EV's cost around $1.20 per 100 km (you need an off-peak service for this otherwise calculate on 14cents per kw). You can try our online calculator to get an idea on your potential savings over three years:- http://www.bev.com.au/ev_calculator.htm. Not to forget that when off-set with green energy EV's are a zero emission vehicle.

Maximum range is around 200km and costs $35,000 for the conversion and yes half of that is the batteries. Personally I believe that EV's make ideal urban run-abouts for commuting and the like. In this context the battery packs are far more economical and last longer - up to 8 years.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to write again or call me on 02 8214 8916 / 0410 49 2195

Regards,

Ross Blade

Yeh Right Confused Mad Shocked Sad

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:51 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Does anyone know why they use Advanced DC motors instead of AC motors? When I was last looking at motors a 3kW DC motor was $3000, while a 3kW AC motor was $600? Is the cost of a regenerative 3 phase controller prohibitive, or are three phase motors just a scary concept???

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:13 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

probably because there is huge losses converting the DC power into AC for the motor or some such like that. after all the batteries are dc so i guess its just simpler to stick with that then go with all the other inverting gear cost wise too

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

there isnt much difference between a brushless DC and an AC motor from the controllers POV ;->
AC motor will be less efficent though as a rule. especially at low speeds.

I believe those guys leave the gearbox and everything in place so you still use a reverse gear to go backwards, this means their controller is *really* simple, just one block of fets, no H-bridges.

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I was having just the same discussion with a friend at uni. If you were to have a 340V bus running a 310V DC motor and a 314V (peak) 3 phase motor, they will have approximately the same switching losses.

I googled it, and I think it's due to efficiency, however AC wins in longevity.

(I really want to do an electric conversion, I just don't have the money or the car right now. I'll start off with my electric bike) Very Happy

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:43 pm 
zx12r

oh yes of course

i was gonna mention the fets and h bridges (wtf Laughing )

the difference between you guys and me is that you may actually know what your talking about Laughing
I on the other hand dont Shocked but if given a good set of instructions can make do with my limited skills
but as soon as it comes to those blooody fets and h bridges man, im rooted Laughing Laughing Laughing

any pics of your electric bike BH Mike ?

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:54 am