www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Brisbane event in September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I think that any form of fire for entertainment purposes would be considered pyrotechnics. So if the building burnt to the ground your covered, but not if you had "pyrotechnics".

Post Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:55 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Fair enough

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:10 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Are they deciding if they want a robot event there at all, or are you just negotiating the price at this stage?

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:47 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

At the moment I am waiting for a reply to my emails.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Since people want to know what is going on here is an email I just got:

Hey Andrew,
thank you for your emails, i can appreciate that i said id get back to you by the end of november.
i have not gotten back to you, because i am not yet able to contract any inventors, including
robowars.

im sorry for not replying, however i have nothing new to report, i appreciate this must be
frustrating, but idecisions should be made soon.

It would also be good for you to keep exploring the process of incorporating, it takes only 6
weeks and costs very little, check out the fair trading web site, also you will need to nominate a
board but as you already have a club this should be easy.

also you might consider finding another organisation that could auspice any grants, if you dont
incorporate - that you apply for. that means it doesnt have be taxed against any one persons
ABN, you might aproach local community centres or other invention based organisations, they
need to be not for profit organisations, again office of fair trading could help.

this will just put you in good stead for building relationships with funding bodies, as ideas festival
is not a funding body, we develop partnerships with people, and while these are still in
development any outcome is possible. but you might in the future want to receive funding, for
touring, and also for the maintence / construction of the arena.

also if you could post me some plans of the arena that would help also.

I will be in touch as soon as i have mroe info, i apologise again, and look forward to talking soon.
cheers
lenine

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Since I have been sitting around at home all day I have been looking at paperwork. For those interested in forming an incorporated club here in Queensland (I hope that is all of you) here is the Dept. of Fair Trading website with the info:
http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/OFT/OFTWeb.nsf/web+pages/D72DEF30074B333E4A256B53000422EE?OpenDocument

Meetings can be held over the internet so lets get this done.[/url]

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Let's do it then. There is enough of us...

Andrew,
Daniel
Trent
Stevo
Andrew A
Philip
& Myself

I did a little investigation with the car club I'm apart of, we currently have a $10,000,000 public liability insurance with Elders for around $1300 a year.... If we can secure government funding, this is a very cheap option for public based events.

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:37 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You know what the key seemed to be to me - Speed Controllers, Batteries and Chargers, Motors - basically the powertrain is where the expense is.

OK< The Arena isnt cheap either, and heavies increase the logistics the teams have to deal with (Pit Crew, Tranport to/from Home/Pit/Arena), as well as requiring more pit space.

But the real killer is the $$ to move the power. Some thing $315 is hard to reach, try $2K+ for a decent set of CL limited 400a+ speed controllers, then a slab of SLAs, followed up by a sysem to turn 2.4Kw AC back into 12v 50a+ DC and add up the $.

Building the frames, wheels, levers, lumps of steel etc is easy. you need to have the ability to move a few megawatt/hours of electricity around in a hurry, whatever you do with it is trivial, it *will* be exciting.

Findind a bot builder with the resources to play with megawatts of power on their own dime is the hard bit.

If you can find a TV exec willing to pour some mega$ into local production of Australian sci/tech "mythbusters" type of thing, then you might have the budget necessary for heavyweights.

You could try getting in touch with Simon, the guy who ran the Piazza at the Ideas Festival. He seemed to have a ot of promising sounding ideas *and* (more importantl) contacts who might be open to such a concept.

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have got in contact with the Piazza guys. They are willing to host one event every 3 months as they quiet enjoyed the robots and want the space used. But they are not going to just hand it to us but expect us to organise the money.
I am not talking about going to a full heavyweight comp just yet as most of the production people I have talked to would rather see how the feathers do for a year or so as a sort of pilot.
And Beyond Productions which is the Sydney based production company that produces Mythbusters did not reply to my letters.

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:48 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

It's good to see people are trying, knowing who to contact is one of the first hurdles. I however must dissagree with Brett, sure, a robot such as vladiator which *smokes* its tires accellerating requires monsterous amounts of esc power, however in contrast, the novelty robot red barron used a pair of 883's to drive its wheelchair motors. IMHO it was quite fast! Laughing
Now combine that low power drivetrain with something such as a huge weapon bar, it removes the drivetrain cost but then adds to the battery/weapon. Not many roboteers anywhere can afford to do a heavyweight, and almost any compeditive one you can think of has sponsership of some sort, heck even battlebots IQ robots are getting major corporate sponsorship (school based robots!?).
I don't even know where i'm going with this lol, we just need to find the right company, let them know what we're capable of and hope we have some 4 leaf clovers... Smile
EDIT: Ok what you said seems to cover what I mentioned too Smile I do agree in that case!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'd love to see monthly backyard battles and a public event every 3-4 months. Maybe even encourage some of those interstate fellas to come to the sunshine state...

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

OK I have filed in the forms to get the club incorporated and was going to send the pdf around to see what people think but can't find many email addresses. So can at least 6 others in Queensland please send me there emails so I can send this pdf for you to peruse.

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:29 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You are the one doing all the hard work. Surely, you should get to decide how the club is incorporated.

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:04 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Ok I have sent of emails to everyone I have email addresses for and PMs to all I don't so check your emails everyone! If you don't get it and want to please message me.

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:33 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I submitted the paperwork to the dept of fair trading today so we should here back in 2 to 4 weeks if it is all good. I will also let the Ideas Festival people know what is going on.

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:03 pm