www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Brisbane event in September
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Brisbane event in September

After going to India I decided that we need more public events in Australia. So I sent out several letters and e-mails to several potential venues to see what can be done. After over a month of waiting for replys, calling around and sending more letters I am getting somewhere. I have just got back from a talk with the marketing manager at the Kingston Park Raceway ( http://www.gokarts.com.au/ ) where he is excited about the possibility of hosting a large two day event in September as part of their ten year birthday celebrations.
The idea at this stage is to hold a two day event (9am - 5pm) during the week before the weekend of September 22. There is a large outdoor area at the raceway that is ideal for an arena with an undercover area off to the side with tables that we can use as a pit area. There will also be plenty of radio advertising for the event with possibility of a live radio show broadcasted from the event.
What is yet to be organized is an arena. The manager at Kingston Park said they are not ready at this stage to build an arena though that is a definite possibility if the event is popular. The two other possibilities is that we build a portable arena here in Queensland for use at such events or that we discuss with Bret and the people at Sidetracked to borrow their arena.

Either way it is clear that:
In September there will be an event at Kingston Park Raceway in Brisbane and it will be open to all interstate and international builders!
I want this to be BIG.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Last edited by kkeerroo on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

On ya, Andrew.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:28 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well done. Very Happy

Another possibility is Daniels Junk Yard arena but with an almost certain Ideas Festival Gig to look forward to building your own would make a lot of sense.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I talked to the Ideas festival guys and they seemed unsure about having the event again. They said they are looking for fresh ideas (it is the ideas festival after all).

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm shame about the Ideas festival
But cool with the go cart place! Very Happy Nice work!
Hopefully I won't be in exams then... will see.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:47 pm 
assassin

Well done, good work mate. I always thought the hard part was getting an arena built here in Queensland. Once we have an arena we could possibly have quite a lot of events.

So how? Fund raiser? I don't know. $5000 in 5 months?

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:08 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have quotes to build an arena that is the same as that in India. I was sent the plans they used and rang around while waiting for replys to my letters. One like that would set you back between $8000 and $10000 but it was made with 10mm polycarb. My brother will do up new plans for an arena with 6mm polycarb and I will then see about prices for materials.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:17 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i'd be interested in seeing those plans if they are available?

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

they are now available to all: http://www.botleague.net/resources.asp

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:08 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I can get the steel that is required. I get it at Cost + 5% at work. Let me know the material sizes you need and I can get you a quote.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:10 pm 
decalkins

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
I have quotes to build an arena that is the same as that in India. I was sent the plans they used and rang around while waiting for replys to my letters. One like that would set you back between $8000 and $10000 but it was made with 10mm polycarb. My brother will do up new plans for an arena with 6mm polycarb and I will then see about prices for materials.

The plans the Indian's used were drawn up by Steve Judd. They're publically avaialble:
http://botleague.net/resources.asp

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:49 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Another idea that was put forward by the guys at Kingston park was to have a competition on the radio where the winners would be allowed to drive robots in a sub competition to the main event. At first I said no as I don't think too many builders would agree to this but after discussing it with my brother we think there may be the possibility of building four cheap robots that they can use. They would not need to be much and we thought of just armoring them with MDF so that damage would be guaranteed. What we would need are cheap drives, batteries and radios. Speed control can be done with servo switching to keep the price down.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That sounds like a good idea, a bit like the hockey bots that went to India. You might look at building a harder core that could be reused. IE make a welded tube frame and bolt the ablative MDF armour to that, with the expensive parts well protected. I'd build them big, at least lightweight size (but not lightweight power!)to make it more visually interesting.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I was already going to add a welded frame with a 100mm gap between the frame and the outer armour so that the frame won't get in the way of parts being ripped off.. And I was also going to use big, slow drive and very visual weapons.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Great minds think alike? What kind of weapons are you going for - Flamethrowers seem the crowd fave, but a bit terminal for MDF.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:08 pm