Brisbane event in September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Robot 1 - Vertical circular saw
Robot 2 - Twin stacked hole saws
Robot 3 - Crusher
Robot 4 - Pneumatic flipper (My brother is donating Hellcat to be converted)

All will be 12V. All will have the same drive train. All will be the same except weapons and styling. All will need at least 5 MDF outer chasis.

Would it be possible to borrow four 4-channel radios from Toowoomba Nick?

It is still just an idea. Give me 4 weeks to finish scribbling.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:20 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds promising! You probably already know it, but keeping as many parts in common between the bots will really save construction time. Are you bothering with any weight limits? Down here, we were thinking of anything between the Featherweight and lightweight limits and any sort of weapon except spinners - rather like the 'sportsman' class in the States. For this type of bot, I think its important to just go for "crowd pleaser" and not worry about any convertional bot rules.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:51 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Happy to help, I might be build, donate, loan some parts.

The Scorpion XL’s work nicely with 100W scooters and 24Volt SLA’s that’s the combo I have been working towards for my kit bot drive project.

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Have you been talking to James?

He mentioned this a while back.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:24 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

No.

But one thing I have also been looking into, and now that the NSWers have posted about it I thought I would mention it, is forming an incorporated club. This would be fairly simple to do and would involve having one Annual General Meeting every year (at an event) and giving some trusted people titles like president and secretary.
The upside to doing this is that as an incorporated club we would be a legal entity. That means the club could own property (like an arena), buy insurance and, this is the important bit, apply for a government grant to pay for these things. Unfortunately we have already missed out on the first round of grant applications for the year and the next ones wont be until June/July but I would like people to think about it.
The next post will be one of bretts antiestablishmentarianism posts. but it is either this or I start my own robot event production company and run it by myself. but I am getting very little sleep as it is.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So what sort of scale are you looking at?

And what are the four MDF bots being used for? (May have mentioned this but i didn't pick it up)

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

nah, I'm over ranting about the perils of clubs, you've all heard it before. Rolling Eyes

You guys want an incorporated club, go for it. Do we have a seconder for the motion mr president ?

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

With the club (or company), you only have to use it as a front if you want - have the necessary meetings, do a bit of paperwork, skip all the politics and reap the benefits mentioned. It only gets ugly if a club is formed by people who WANT to play politics, and that isn't us Wink

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:16 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

not *yet*.

I know most of you guys dont worry me about that. Very few people want to play politics when a club *starts*, its what happens a year or three down the track when more members join who arent necessarily "friends", and there is some prestige and power to piss off those they dont like , but dont say I didnt warn you Razz

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

after going through the Queensland legistration on incoporation of clubs here is what we need:
Four club members to act as president, vice prsident, secretary and a treasurer as well as four witnesses for the meetings.
a constitution which will be declared at the inaugural AGM
regular meetings including an AGM
and minutes of the meetings made available to all.

once these are done we can register the club and become incorporated.
I am currently trying to find out how to go about registration.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You might also want to find out about the cost of compliance. You should talk to your friendly accountant about this.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:35 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
And what are the four MDF bots being used for? (May have mentioned this but i didn't pick it up)

The guy we were talking to mentioned that he wanted to have a compitition on the radio where people win tickets to be able to drive a robot in the compitition. At first we kind of ignored him because we thought it was a random idea, but after the 3rd or 4th time he mentioned it we started to get worried. This idea would have quite a few problems along the lines of finding spare robots, people's ability to control them, the crowds enjoyment, people's expectation on the damge they can cause, ect....
But then we had an idea about making 4 easily damaged and repared robots that can be run seperate to the main compitition. Easy to control, easy to inflict damage and quick to repair are what we are want so we can keep everyone happy.

As for my brother's club or business idea's, he is just wanting a way of getting money for the arena. The arena needs to be placed in an area that currently has a gravel over the ground. We need a frame under the floor or we'll never get it level enough to get the wall ups, which kind of rules out the Sidetracked arena. But what I have draw is almost the same as the Sidetracked arena and I really should have grabbed some pictures of the other computer.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:19 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Going back a few years I incorporated 2 clubs.

Back then there was one very good reason for doing this.

It gave members protection from getting sued and loosing everything.

If you did something stupid at a club event you were still personally liable but if you were just a member you were safe.

The club might loose all its assets but individual members assets were safe.

According to the people running one of these clubs nowadays this is no longer the case to the extent that they sold off the club car as it was decided that it was too risky to let anyone use it.Mad

Translate this sitch into Robot Combat.

The clubs arena fails to contain debris and someone is hurt, they sue and by being a member of the club you’re all liable so by having a club you have to have insurance.

In a private back yard comp something happens and you’re just a group of friends and acquaintances, you claim on your home insurance.

An Incorporated club holding an event in someone’s back yard might be a different thing. Confused Question

The FRA has insurance to protect their committee and they don’t even run events.

In Vic we have been very fortunate in that Brett, Daniel and Sidetracked have taken the risks and provided insurance. Very Happy

We have 2 arenas and run public events without the hassles of clubs.

If you are determined to set up a club my advice is get the kit, work out any changes to the model rules but keep them minimal, spend some time with a solicitor to check it.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

its up to the discretion of the club as to whether insurance is neeeded it is no longer compulsery....if we were to hold battles in a mobile arena at for eg the penrith show ,we would be under their insurance.so once again no insurance is needed.
in the case of the private battles the way to solve it i guess is to make it members only and visitors are signed up as temporary members ,like they do at football clubs and rsl clubs ,that way legally they are all members

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:28 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Wonder why Roaming Robots insists that you have to be a financial member of the FRA before you can compete at their events. Question

Funny I thought someone said we wouldn’t have to join the NSW club to attend your events. Smile

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 pm