www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Article in APC Magazine

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Article in APC Magazine

If you're browsing around a newstand you might like to have a look at Page 114 of the August A.P.C. (Australian Personal Computer Magazine).

We got a nice little side-column mention of Robot Combat in Australia as part of a feature article they did on Robotics this month. Its only small, since the article is mainly about Autonomous PC-Powered robots, but it has some good photos and mention of the website, so its all good.

Thats the 3rd time Robot Wars in Australia has been on the mainstream newstands in high-circulation magazines in the last 12 months, and with the Neighbours TV appearance coming up soon, public notice of the sport locally is really growing. I'm getting people saying to me all the time that they are just discovering that the sport is getting underway in Australia, so I expect we're going to see a lot of new builders in the next 12 months.

They really liked our Mac-lookalike robot vs a PC-lookalike robot in a fight to the death idea as well Laughing, so I expect they'll do some more coverage when we get "Overdrive" and "PowerMac" running and into the arena.

I'll put a scan of the coumn on the RoboWars site when the magazine goes off-sale on the shelves, but until then if you get a chance, have a look.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

excellent!

i dont think any of us can thank you enough for the contributions youve made to australian robot combat, first public event, IBC, forum, promotion etc...

ill definitely swing myself a copy tommorow Very Happy

may i ask how you get these sort of interviews, do you suggest them to the magazine or do they come to you? Smile

OHHHHHHHH and so thats what that damn computer case with wheels was for Laughing

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
i dont think any of us can thank you enough for the contributions youve made to australian robot combat, first public event, IBC, forum, promotion etc...

Embarassed (blush) Thats easy - build Robots and have fun. Its hard to explain, but having been involved in producing quite a few public events prior to becoming interested in Combat Robots, I can tell you that knowing that people enjoyed themselves at something you helped bring about is often thanks enough.

Promoters rarely enjoy their own events that much during the actual event, since you usually feel too much pressure making sure everything is going OK, but the satisfaction *after* the event usually makes up for it. As Gary says, satisfaction is proportional to results and effort. If you work hard on something you like and see positive results, its quite a buzz.

quote:
may i ask how you get these sort of interviews, do you suggest them to the magazine or do they come to you?

Most of them come looking for us, except the Silicon Chip article which I suggested and wrote first.. I think the website with a lot of content has a lot to do with it, and I talk to a *lot* of people about Robot Combat. Word sort of spreads after a while. Being the organiser of a public event helps..

quote:
OHHHHHHHH and so thats what that damn computer case with wheels was for

well, actually it wasnt designed with APC in mind. we just sort of thought it would be fun to turn one of Gary's old PC cases into a bot, then George (being a Mac-head that we rib all the time) suggested a mac-bot to fight it, and when I mentioned it to APC they thought it was a great idea..
Laughing

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:54 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Mm gives me an idea for al these empty computer cases that keep turning up mysteriously on my door step (not so much of a mystry.. the bloke up the road colects old school and government computers and does them up for kids that cant aford a computer ) i asked him for a couple of un fixables one time to smash up .. and now every time i go away and come home there is another pile left here .. i might look at sticking drives and drill controlers in a few and flog them off for first time builders to play with and modifie ..... wonder iff the old hard drive motors with a shaft sticking out would work?? Very Happy

Sory brett probaly the wrong place for this so shift it or delete it iff you like ..

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:16 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sorta like my VCR bot that was going to us an EV Warrior on the Tap ejection system to fire tapes at the opponent. this was of course a funbot idea for Robowars for the crowd to get a kick out of and hopefully for it to get smashed.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:16 pm 
colin

saw the article today. Its pretty small but says everything it needs to if people want to get involved. it has pictures of some bots, which will help catch peoples eye Wink

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got the magazine, the article that its in is about little robots with laptops strapped to them for god only knows what reason, and then theres a nice few pics of inspector and ball pein to get the attention Very Happy good work!

also if youve got the 386 and Mac and aarons got the VHS with tape ejector - well bugger you all im hacking up a DVD with a spinner disc from that bosch motor! (btw totally OT but if we get them done are we going to have an appliance death match next robowars Laughing )

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:29 pm 
mytqik

Well then if we are talking about appliances, I am putting dibs on a clamp bot made out of a sandwich press. Laughing This idea could be lots of fun.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:21 pm