www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

FRA & RFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
I am sorry if that sounded like a criticism as far as your different rules and procedures.

No offence taken Gary Smile Was just explaining why we're a bit more lax on certain things then the other states.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:29 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

On topic: So the RFL are pulling thier pneumatics rules in line with the FRA?

Off topic: I hate the term "weight bonus" when referring to consumables. It just sounds as tho people haven't thought through the implications of such a "bonus".

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maddox

With 13.6 kg to play with, I, and Leo don't see the problem of getting the current machines in. It's when you aim for that 13.6 kg limit troubles start.

But the RFL relaxing the Pneumatics rules? I truly doubt that.
My gut feeling tells me that if it really was up to some, the current RFL rules would become the norm for the FRA.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

> 13.6kg = bonus

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Money = bonus

Nobody complains too much about that Very Happy

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:24 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

On topic: The current RFL rules for pneumatics are currently a little over the top in places and just plain silly in others. They where clearly writern by someone with no experience with pneumatic robots.

Off topic: build robot to 13.6kg then charge it = what bonus?

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

if it's over 13.6kg with a full charge you'll be allowed to compete with a flat battery.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

when it goes into the arena it weighs more than another bot.
it has more traction more KE better defence.
(i'll build a Co2 powered bot and ring the thing in Co2 tanks. so you need to make more rules about how much Co2 you are allowed and make decisions about whats a "valid" use for it and so on)
If the rules basically say,
bot should cause no harm to humans (unless they are silly)
bot should be only allowed to cause damage by physical means.
bot must weigh less than the weight limit as it enters the arena.

Thats really the core of the rules as i understand it. Thats what we are trying to achieve. Everything else is just to clarify that.

on topic, yah stuff like gages on Co2 systems, they are more of a hazard than a help.
Flying glass in the pits would be bad.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
leo-rcc

The reason I asked is this. Suppose I would have Hannibalito fitted with 1 bottle that holds 600grams of gas, then my robot would enter @ 12.6kg. A aussie with gas is not allowed to weigh more than 13.6kg, so the difference between our robots would be no more than 1 kg, meaning co2 robots from Europe have less a disadvantage against aussie feathers as electric ones from Europe.

To me I dont care either way, i usually go in events underweight anyway. But it is something I hadn't realised before.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Havent we hashed this out before ?

Just because Pneumatic "Charge" has more weight than "Electric Charge", why does that qualify for a bonus over electric bots ?

Electric Charge "Containers" weigh more than Pneumatic Charge "Containers". Should we be arguing for a bonus for Electric Bots too ? Batteries are much heavier than Co2 Tanks - no fair for electric bots ! Wink

How about weighing the bots without their charge and change container - take the tank out, and the batteries - would that be fair on Pneumatic bots ?

How do you weigh a Pneumatic bot on the way into the arena if "gas" doesnt count ? Do the judges just have to trust the competitor that the overweight amount is all gas ?

Perhaps weigh them on the way out ? Of course, if you fail to dump *all*
your gas (every match) and get back under the limit, the Co2 bot faces disqualification and a loss in that case.

If I cover my bot in ablative armour that is going to get torn off during a match against a spinner, can I count that as a "consumable" and not part of the weight ?

Pneumatics convey an undoubtable peak-power advantage advantage to a bot. Lets see you build an electric bot that can throw another one 6 feet in the air - How much more of an advantage do you want ?

Too many worms in that can. Obviously Pneumatic Bot builders are going to argue their side, but unless I see majority agreement from all of the local builders, as far as RoboWars events are concerned, the *limit* is 13.6Kg. RFL, FRA or not.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I want to clarify my point here: I am going to compete at Robogames. It is an international event with robots from around the world going to compete. I would like to know if there is going to be a truly international ruleset or a Robogames ruleset and I want to know how this will affect my robot.
I already know all the weird and wonderful arguments that people on this forum have come up with both for and against adaptations to RFL rules regarding pneumatics and consumables and I don't care. I am asking Mr Calkins what his rules are not what the Robowars rules are or whatever rules the New South Welshmen use. You tell me the rules, and whether I agree with them or not, I will abide by them when competing at your events.
For now can you please take your ill conceived and off topic arguments elsewhere and let me ask my question!

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:53 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Oki Doki. I'll shutup now.. Razz

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:21 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://forums.delphiforums.com/THERFL/messages/?msg=4200.1

Gas is short for Gasoline I think, their word for petrol. Smile

Also I think there more into HPA or just Nitrogen than messing about with liquid Co2

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:18 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yeah, JR fired off a half assed post Laughing I mean, who could honestly think that Gasoline was being discussed when talking about Pneumatics Laughing

I think JR posted some similar, crap posts in Swayzio's thread too Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:25 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

They seem to know Australia exists, I think we might have trouble fielding out top 4 bots in 8 weight classes for the hypothetical World Championship though. Smile

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:47 am