www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Australia Bot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
I can't stop thinking of a middle weight made of a four-way Prancing Queen cluster

Imagine a swarm of Prancing Queens in a 12 way cluster for a SHW! Everyone grab a spektrum, a gas bottle, a pack of A123 LiNP's, a pair of Mini Ev's and a talking doll Laughing I think we'd win by shear laughter stopping the opponent from driving there robot Razz

2 way(LW), 4 way(MW), 8 way(HW) & 12 way(SHW) Prancing Clustors for the win! Cool

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:04 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As I recall they have changed the rules for clusters. All the segments must be knocked out not just more than 50%. Smile

And we must have around 100 Feathers locally to pick from.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:14 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I remember when Marauder tried to lift Prancing Queens skirt.... Imagine if Ziggy tried it Shocked

2/4/8/12 way PQ for t3h win Laughing

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:27 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Just looking at batteries:

For a rammer with two Mags, I can donate around 50 CP3600 cells, which would not really be enough: we could make two 30V packs which might provide the current but another 50+ will be needed for spare packs. I just put some figures into EDTsim and two parallel 30V packs would give 6.43 minutes driving time and a peak power 2,400 watts. On the down side the packs would weigh around 5Kg. What was the bulk price from MI?

If we go for A123 cells, 3 or 4 strings of 8 cells will get us more peak current and way less weight. That comes to 24 or 32 cells and the same again for spares. How much could we get them for again? It sounds like 6 or 7 of those DeWalt packs might be required.

If we go for a flipper, the power requirements go right down. We could use Brett's 2400 packs or my CP3600 cells in smaller packs to drive a set of 18V dewalt drills. based on Glen's experiences, I would say the 2400 packs don't have the capacity unless they in parallel.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:04 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

if the A123 cells work out we will have ~40 surplus 3600 cells
(2 24v packs)

the A123 cells are ~ US$110 for 6 (as i recall)
we may be able to get away with just one pack though.
15 minute charge time.
We may need a bigger charger though lol, thats a 10A charge rate.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I can make super cheap pneumatics Smile
I also have some other rams and stuff kicking around (somewhere)...

I was just thinking about how to do a fast crusher setup, and I think it could be done with a ratchet design, either rotary at the pivot point of the crusher jaws, or linear along the plane of the actuator.
That way you can have a high speed low power motor or pneumatic ram to close the jaws quickly, and then the main actuator will immediately take over for the crushing. It also means that the actuator doesn't need to have a very long throw.
It could be built so that when the actuator is fully retracted it disengages the ratchet automatically so the jaws can open right up.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Heh i honestly think a clusterbot might be a better idea... The battery's are where it REALLY starts to get spensive... and I personaly wouldn't feel right if Nick donates most of them... Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:13 pm 
andrew

yeah true, lets not go too over the top for this thing especially since from what i hear yall r just gonna sell the parts afterwards or something (personally i reckon keep it together for robowars events in aus but meh).

Lets just build a lightweight that uses up parts we have or can get for a desent price and that will be fun. I love the thought of a bigger bot but seeing peeps saying well need to spend lie 100's of $$ on it scares me a lil

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:17 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Welch has a good point. Lightweights are something that is probably manageable for us at the moment. If you get excited, you could build 2 lightweights and enter them in the middleweights as well as a clustor...

Also, if the Lightweight isn't a spinner, it will be able to join King Pin, Loki and Maesto at events. Plus, maybe some of you guys need a reality check with the weight factor of a heavyweight or superheavyweight... Gary, andrew and myself know how much of a hassle it is to do the smallest things with a 100kg robot.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:08 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Don’t forget Bull-Ant Danies lightweight. Smile

So there is potential to re use and even fight against some other lightweights before going over.
The only problem there is that our local no spinner Lightweights tend to run exposed pneumatic tires, as they don’t have to be as concerned about punctures.
There might be some Ultibots available for a bit of practice against before long to.
Its up to Daniel and his insurance co but lightweight spinners might happen.
The no spinner Lightweights are all that will be allowed at Sidetracked.
One other possible use is to put bigger wheels on after RG7 and run them as Ultibots. Smile

Last edited by Rotwang on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:28 pm 
andrew

yeah i remember building lockjaw, it was way oversized even for a heavy me thinks and moving it/working on it/taing it bac and forth from home to school really sucked.

If everybody gets their lightwight uber bot going and i can get rs80d fixed and get my 4 hammerdrill driven lifter going then thatd be pretty darn cool

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:32 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think we are definitely going for a non-kinetic lightweight - the advantages to us are huge.

If we were to go for a middleweight, then it's basically a one event bot and it would hardly be worth the cost of frieghting the entire thing back. We would look at selling any parts that weren't borrowed, throwing out parts that nobody wanted and just bringing back parts that could be reused. That is starting to sound rather messy...

Far more rewarding to build a lightweight that we can bring back and use. Whatever design we settle on it makes sense to put some effort in; the cost of getting over there and frieght means it is more than a casual effort and after spending the transport money, who wants a spare-parts bot that gets trashed in it's first match? Back in Australia, it would probably need rebuilding to be competitive on the local scene. Let's build a winner in the first place!

Batteries and Charging :

Brett has kindly donated the use of up to five Tritons and we will have several of our own. To fast charge large packs, the trick is to put in a centre-tap connection and use two Tritons, each charging half a pack. They can push 5 amps into a 12 to 15V pack and really cut the charge time. I will probably be buying one of those high current chargers later on in the year as well.

I thought Aaron was able to get the A123 cells via a US connection for a bit better price? At the full price of the dev kits, we are up for at least $770 US for two sets of lower voltage packs and just having a single set is a failure point. It's looking very much like CP3600 cells to me! I realised I can recycle an almost new 24V pack, so if Jake moves to A123 cells then we will have over 100 batteries and will be good for four 30V packs. If we go for a flipper design, then only two packs of 18 to 24V will be needed.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:20 pm 
andrew

i reckon uber wedge/rammer/lifter maybe would be descent, flipper is toofiddly with gasses etc and with alot of the designs being box's or spinners or whatever then we have a good chance, against spinners itll be strong and fast as hell to keep on them and dominate, against wedges well itll be afst enough to tae advantage of their weanesses

one question still eludes me, how do we define who drives it per match etc

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:43 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
one question still eludes me, how do we define who drives it per match etc

I vote NOT me - Jake wasn't wrong! Laughing I think we have a driving trial between everyone who is going and the best driver gets to do ALL the driving; it makes sense to go with the most capable.

I tend to agree about the gas powered flipper, we don't have the experience to build a system that will pass inspection in the US. Pneumatics is a real art and while Dumhead has worked wonders with a Sodastream, that wouldn't get further than the safety check at Robogames - harsh but true. If we could get Phil down here, it might be different...

We can still look at a fast electric flipper. With a large enough actuator, the arm can move fast enough to almost be classed as a flipper and you will all recall how well Biohazzard did. With proper armour, we can avoid the beating that Biohazzard took last time.

Let's work on some design ideas in parallel and make a final decision in a week or two - there is no great hurry yet.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:06 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol how about a bizalloy armour and frame for the lifter?
That would be pretty effective... and materials are easy to get... Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:14 pm