www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Micro Magnum, Team Magnum, NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Author    Thread
MoonSet416

Fortunately all parts of the new version are currently still in vapor state. One of the rare advantages of procrastinating.

Hmm... What I found might be a precision needle roller bearing without an inner ring (but I'm not really sure), and my shaft is case hardened... Maybe this is worth a try.

The bearing page is here. http://www.skf.com/au/products/bearings-units-housings/roller-bearings/needle-roller-bearings/needle-roller-bearings-with-machined-rings/with-machined-rings-wo-inner-ring/index.html?designation=NK%2020%2F16

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 am 
maddox

I know I'm a weird one in this respect, but all my spinners use sinterbronze bushings.
Not as efficient, but cheap and easy to use.
Never had one fail up to now.

Valkiry 3 uses 2 d20xD25xL30 bushings, and that weapon is rated at 8Kj peak.

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MoonSet416

Bronze bushings are not that rare actually. At least K2 has been using them for years.

However I've also heard of bronze bushings failing... I guess it depends on the brand you're using. Can you send me a link to the bushing you're using? Thx.

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 pm 
MoonSet416

Update:

New side armor add-on: fewer parts, thicker.

Spinner assuming using needle roller bearings, which made the spinner lighter. Now with any spare weight I can add HDPE armor, so every bit helps.

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:29 pm 
MoonSet416

Update:

After switching to the 910 KV brushless drive, I expect to lose about 25% KV (my rs775 was 1200 KV), and I guess I will have to buy 1:13 P60 gearboxes for that. Does anyone have a group buy plan recently?

Just checked all the new parts for the new version, and everything seems good for now. Will be contacting the machine shop soon and hopefully the new version can stand up to 15kg level of threat.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:05 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

what size wheels? 4" on those rotomax motors with 16:1 will be too fast as it is. The 775 i think isnt really 1200kv. I upgraded and robot is easily as fast if not faster!

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MoonSet416

I have 2.785 inch wheels... I think it might be that I had a different variant of rs775 in my bot. Mine was rated at 18V and 19200 rpm, and my calculator says it's 1067KV. (Oh god I suck at math.)

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm 
MoonSet416

Update:

Made the drive motor cage thinner. (was 5mm PC, now 2mm PC) This change was made in case I run out of ZTW SimonK ESCs and have to use EMAX ones, which are long and thin, and will sit above the motors instead of in between them.

(It's kinda fun when you design a compact machine with crazy power, but when you start retrofitting it's really a PITA.)

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:37 pm 
MoonSet416

And...... Of course the night after I sent the drawings for the New version of Contraption, I came up with a new idea. Will be wider than Contraption, so less gyro dance. I might let it inherit Contraption's weapon, or maybe upgrade to a 20cm disc.

Rough sketches coming up soon.

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:05 pm 
MoonSet416

So the new design looks roughly like this.

EDIT:
Forgot to explain a few things here. The batteries are split between left and right, just in front of the internal "wheel guard", and the ESCs will fill the rest of the space. Will have the same inverted wheel system as Contraption, although it may not work as well due to how big the weapon is going to be (when inverted will be tilted backward by a pretty big angle).

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Unless you are going to have other parts press right up against the drive motors, you don't really need so much complex shielding around them; just a piece of aluminium angle will work and cost almost nothing. Or a piece of sheet bent 90 degrees.

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:23 pm 
MoonSet416

Well... I can't say that the rest of the internals are "pressed" into the motor cage, but it's pretty tight in there nevertheless. my main problem with bent metal sheets is that they are a bit heavier, and I don't really have the right tools to bend metal with much precision.

I have loosely fitted internals, so during an impact, ESCs and batteries will probably at least bump the motor, if not smashing into it. I will have velcro to hold the internals down, but I'm not sure how well they'll do with featherweight components.

I am probably overthinking on this one, but it's really cheap to get these PC parts in China, so I guess although it may be an overkill, it's not an expensive one.

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:42 pm 
MoonSet416

Update:

Added lightening holes/pockets and other details to the design. Added a center compartment for the link, Rx, etc.

Some of the pockets are not in the right side, and that's because I haven't mirrored the parts yet.

Named the robot Abomination. (I'm slowly running out of names of this kind...) Sad

Post Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm 
MoonSet416

Team icon!!! Yay!
(Largely inspired by Fate series)
Also it happens to resemble the "M" of Team Magnum.

Post Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 pm 
MoonSet416

Update:

Still missing some details but this should be the general shape of Abomination.

Electronics will be the exact same as Contraption IIC mod1 with two 2820 drive motors and two 4274 weapon motors.

The weapon will be of 20cm diameter, with a bit more MOI than Contraption. The new weapon should be easier to make than the drum-disk hybrid.

The front end is an experimental design with three wedges, with the middle one being a fixed wedge. (but since its 2WD the middle wedge is basically a hinged wedge.) The side wedges are hinged, and are made out of bent 5mm steel (probably something like 65Mn or 4130).

The overall aim was to have a wider bot than Contraption, which suffered from gyrodancing and oversteering.

And as always, feel free to comment. Since I'm trying something new I probably screwed something up along the way...

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:58 pm