RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 560, 561, 562 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Swagday:

Also know as about to get busy day Smile. This the stuff that I picked up:

Enough Edcon steel tube & bar to make a rolling base for the table saw and to finish off the back of the CNC enclosure. Pretty sure I will need a new Argon tank in a few days.

A 10mm sheet of UHMW large enough to make 5 or 6 roll hoops for Mr Mangle and Sawnado. With all the other saw bots at Vivid, Sawnado will probably need more replacements than Mr Mangle.

Three brushless ESCs and sensor cables. That covers Sawnado's new ESCs and leaves a spare for the other bots. I have only blown up one of these ESCs since I started using them about two years ago but its always smart to have spares.

Definitely time to warm up the soldering iron!

Post Mon May 08, 2017 7:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr. T progress:

After getting a waterjet quote for an eye-watering $3,476 to cut Mr T and Mangle and then finding the the preferred cutter Aquajet is closing for 3 weeks, the universe smiled and I found a new waterjet cutter to do the work for only $665 Very Happy. They have a short turn-around so welding will begin mid next week.

That really takes the pressure off, while I wait for the cutting to finish I can work on Sawnado and spare parts.

Post Wed May 10, 2017 4:00 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Not much bot building progress today, I spent hours welding in the last parts of the CNC enclosure and undercoating the frame; a final coat around the top will finish that stage off.

All that paint gave me a solvent headache - I read that the emergency cure for another hydrocarbon (methanol) is a large dose of ethanol. So far, a couple of very strong gin & tonics are working wonders on the headache (seriously Laughing ).

While waiting for the waterjet parts, attention is turning to Sawnado. It always had massive traction problems so I am designing new wheels based on Mr Mangle's printed wheels. They will have much less movement, just enough to provide a reasonable contact patch and more traction.

Post Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

How big is this CNC?

Post Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 am 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

I was thinking the same thing Shocked

Post Fri May 12, 2017 12:04 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Remember there are two mills going in there. The CNC mill is a Sieg SX3 and the manual mill is an RF31. They don't take up much space on a bench but once you put them in a box together and include the table travels, accessories, etc then they use up WAY more space.

There is room underneath for tool storage draws, a fancy flood coolant system and the air compressor. The extra hight is for a tiny gantry hoist to move the heavy accessories around. Once its all finished, it may even look crowded inside

Post Fri May 12, 2017 1:50 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Welding day:

Not much robot construction going on but plenty of MIG welding on a rolling base for the table saw:

Its 100 x 50 x 4mm wall. I nailed the flare bevel welds with an extra heavy bead and the base is more than strong enough to have the > 400Kg saw dropped on it.

Mr T testing:

The pneumatics need a full pressure test ASAP so all the parts are getting bolted to a thick sheet of plywood and I will rest something heavy (like that saw base) on the ram for a backyard test. I also want to test the bungee retraction as soon as possible so maybe something can be Macgyvered together.

Post Sun May 14, 2017 12:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Sawnado:

I picked up a 250 mm cold saw blade today - with 160 HSS teeth it should last longer than a TCT blade and can be resharpened with a Dremel. I'm not sure how much damage its going to do though - the teeth are tiny and the blade is spinning at ten times its rated speed.

If I don't bother with the brushless conversion, Sawnado is virtually finished. It just needs a new power light and maybe brushes for the wepon motor and its good to go Smile

Post Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

now *that's* a saw blade lol

Post Thu May 18, 2017 3:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its the most expensive saw blade I have ever bought, so all the Sportman bots have to use Kraft cheese slices for armour so the blade doesn't get damaged Laughing

Post Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Welding time:

The waterjetted parts are back and looking good! The holes are a little undersized and need enlarging with the Dremel but for the price, its great work:

That's the major bulkheads fitted on Mr. T and some of the small parts that still need Dremel work - its going to be a long night! The parts For Mr Mangle need just as much work but that can wait until after Vivid, or at least until Mr T is completely welded and tested.

Post Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

A shiny thing, on another shiny thing:

Most of the parts are fitted together and through the magic of CNC, everything lines up Smile

There is still a heap of detail work to do on the parts before welding and since I haven't welded any titanium for months, I'm going to cut up some scrap sheet and have a practise run on that first.

Post Fri May 19, 2017 5:25 pm 
pilleya

Looks great ! Are you planning to have a removable/replaceable flipper spatula?

Just out of interest is welding thinner Ti harder than the thicker stuff? IIRC Mangle uses 8ishmm and it looks like T is using more like 3mm.

The whole "parts actually line up thing" is one of the super good things about making a cheap and quick laser cut prototype.

You should try and make a Sportsman with MDF/Plywood parts( would need some metal on the corners and top and bottom) when you get some time Very Happy

Post Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Welding 3mm titanium is about the same difficulty as thicker stuff after a little practise. Mr Mangle's welds are mostly 4mm to 8mm so I had to be careful not to overheat the thinner side, I didn't think about a removable flipper - if it gets damaged I will just grind the welds off and then weld on a new one.

Post Sat May 20, 2017 9:37 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

damn that's looking good

Post Sat May 20, 2017 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number